DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Mini 4 Decision

owg666

Reactions
Presently I use an iPhone 6 Plus as a monitor while flying my Mavic 2 Pro. The small screen is getting old. Tried a Samsung Tab A and couldn’t get it to work, Go4 ran fine but no video. So I decided to go with iPad Mini 4. My decision. Get the wi-fi model and use my phone as a hotspot, or spend an extra $130 and get the cellular version. Also would cost me to add to my cell bill.
Any experience here with using a wi-fi hotspot to run a tablet ?? Or is there a cheaper Android tablet that would work since they have GPS ??

Presently I use an iPhone 6 Plus as a monitor while flying my Mavic 2 Pro. The small screen is getting old. Tried a Samsung Tab A and couldn’t get it to work, Go4 ran fine but no video. So I decided to go with iPad Mini 4. My decision. Get the wi-fi model and use my phone as a hotspot, or spend an extra $130 and get the cellular version. Also would cost me to add to my cell bill.
Any experience here with using a wi-fi hotspot to run a tablet ?? Or is there a cheaper Android tablet that would work since they have GPS ??

I have a mini 4, but rarely use it because the display is simply not bright enough. My iPhone X does a much better job.

Reactions: owg666
There is no reason to get the cellular version unless you need to change your home point mid-flight, as the WiFi only versions do not have GPS. Just do your updates (if any) before you leave the house on WiFi. You also don't need an aging (4+ year old hardware), overpriced $400 USD tablet to fly your drone in my opinion - but that part is 100% up to you. You can buy the full sized 9.7" 2018 iPad with much better hardware for less than that - might be bigger than you want though.

I’m an android fan but picked up the mini4 as a dedicated screen and couldn’t be happier. My pre flight now includes turning on my hotspot to check for any firmware updates and also get map data. I turn off the hotspot and go into airplane mode before flights. I haven’t found a way to download offline maps to the iPad mini 4. The option is present on all my androids but not on the mini4.

You can get the cell version so you get the GPS and not activate service.
Does the cell version also have WiFi?

Good thought. But does the GPS work without activation ?? Or does it need the cellular network ??

GPS doesn't need cell. Or it shouldn't. If it does, that's a bad call on Apple as Technically one has nothing to do with the other.

I just ordered the Huawei mediapad m3. Any thoughts? I'll let you know how it works. Litchi apps support recommended it since my iPad 2 doesn't work with dji app

D7184F44-AFC4-46B3-AFB1-8ADE7C742491.jpeg

The iPad Mini 4 works well for me. I like not needing an adapter to use it and the hood, TPG SP, and TPU case is thin enough to use as-is with the controller so I don’t need to make any mods to the controller. Do I wish it was as powerful as the iPad Pros...sure, but I’ll take the portability over that any day. That’s why I’m a Mavic guy in the first place isn’t it? LOL

View attachment 49594

The iPad Mini 4 works well for me. I like not needing an adapter to use it and the hood, TPG SP, and TPU case is thin enough to use as-is with the controller so I don’t need to make any mods to the controller. Do I wish it was as powerful as the iPad Pros...sure, but I’ll take the portability over that any day. That’s why I’m a Mavic guy in the first place isn’t it? LOL
I love the way the ipad mini fits into the controller perfectly. It's like dji designed it for the mini and very comfortable and light weight when holding on to the controller when flying. I would spend a few extra bucks and get the I pad mini4 currently on sale at Walmart for $350. That Huawei tablet is over $300.

GPS doesn't need cell. Or it shouldn't. If it does, that's a bad call on Apple as Technically one has nothing to do with the other.

You're right that GPS doesn't need a cellular signal, but Apple won't give you GPS unless you buy their LTE/cellular versions. This is true even of the $1500 iPad pro's - that still isn't enough money to buy you GPS on the WiFi versions. I hate that company sometimes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom