DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini 4 guys

Any tips on what apps I should run? I'm going with just DJI GO 4 for now
DJI GO 4 is a great choice until you stumble upon some type of feature that it's not able to perform well (e.g. waypoint missions). For most people, it does everything they need it to do.

I got a used ipad mini 4 with cellular (no service) for $300 . I chose the cellular mini because it has gps which you can use to change your home point while flying and also use follow me. I had been using a nvida shield tablet which worked great that had gps built-in . Its worked fine till I upgraded to android 7. My advice if you want all the flight options the mavic has get a ipad with gps. The one i got from amazon looks new. Also i use the mini to fly my inspire 1 now, for what ever reason My I1 seems to hold a better hover with the ipad. My mini is 16gb i have one of these to help with storage if need. Amazon.com: Lexar microSD To Lightning Reader - LRWMLBNL: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:
32GB cellular, because I couldn't justify the cost to use 'just for flying' :)

I also wanted maps whilst flying that's why I went with cellular. I know I can tether to my phone but I prefer not to do that. That's a battery wasting proposition.

Do you use SIM with it? or to use the maps you need SIM? Thanks.

Reactions: rico10x
SIM is not required.
I have left my ipad on airplane mode since March to avoid unwanted fw updates.
I do not find maps particularly adventageous in the type of flying I do.

My Mini 4 is 16gig and used strictly for flying

Same same here... when checking the cache.. I still have up to 10g available. I only keep what apps I need for the MP. So there's plenty of free space available for video/pics.

I use the 128gb Ipad Mini 4 Wifi, and it's only used for the Mavic and my Music files. No problems in flight, but have had to restart the Dji go a couple of times when first connecting as it remained at disconnected when the program loaded.

Another happy mini 4 user here (no latency or drops at all in my limited 11 hours). Homemade hood and mount do the job. Came across an in-the-box-new 16Gb mini4 LTE for $315 shipped from an Amazon supplier. I thought it was an OK deal. Definitely wanted the GPS of the cellular version for roaming boat use. I don't use it for anything else. I tested an Iphone 7+ from my wireless provider. Worked fine but the screen size was hard on these aging eyes, and the cost was ridiculous (not an IOS fan). My trusty ole S5 Galaxy was working just fine thank you, though I'd never consider it for drone flying.

If the base model CrystalSky gets great reviews I might trade up but I'm sure not losing sleep over it

Last edited:
I just ordered a dedicated iPad mini 4 128gb to use with my MP. My hope is to use it directly in the controller. 2 questions:
1) for those of you using directly in controller, are you able to have it in a protective case of some kind and if so, what model?

2) any of you using a different mount for the iPad? If so, what model? Do you like it? Pics appreciated.

Thanks

I just ordered a dedicated iPad mini 4 128gb to use with my MP. My hope is to use it directly in the controller. 2 questions:
1) for those of you using directly in controller, are you able to have it in a protective case of some kind and if so, what model?

2) any of you using a different mount for the iPad? If so, what model? Do you like it? Pics appreciated.

Thanks

No protective case, only a temperad glass and a sun shield.
Do most Mavic owners fly with a tablet or with their phones?

No a protective case will not fit, you just slide the IPad Mini in.
Works fine as above, no need for a different mount

16gb is fine, i have hundred of books on mine as well. Use it for email and web browsing etc.

If you have a mini 4 without cellular but connect it to a hot spot phone that does is it the same as having one with cellular or do you lose anything?

Also I have been looking, anyone have a good experience/deal buying a new or refurbished unit anywhere?

Last edited:
Also do you guys think 16GB is enough with all the videos and pics??

I have a iPad 4 mini 128 GB cellular (but no cellular data plan) for the maps and GPS.
I also like that I can have a large 16 GB cache in the iPad to store and review the auto-saved videos and photos right after a flight,
(even before I transfer them off the SD card to a computer).

If you have a mini 4 without cellular but connect it to a hot spot phone that does is it the same as having one with cellular or do you lose anything?
When using a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini, you cannot use Follow Me or manually reset the home point to your current location.

Reactions: Smokey5159
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos