DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini 4 performance with latest DJI Go4

To clarify, I will be using the Mini 4 exclusively for the MP. Already have 5 cellular phones (family) and am trying to establish what (exact functionality) I would be loosing if I do not go with the cellular version of the Mini 4 in order to avoid another cellular device.

So, How important is it to get the Mini 4 WITH cell? Can I just get the one without cell and pre-load maps for the area? Do I even need to use maps? If I need to find a downed MP can't I just grab the coordinates from the DJI app and plug them into my cell phone to find the location? Thanks for any input. Just trying to decide if I need to spend to $$ for cell service on the Mini 4?

I have wi-fi only . I found I just had only to cache the map of the area I was going o fly in or if you have a phone just use it's data source. Didn't think the extra cost for cell was worth it.

Reactions: jpuglise
Bought my mini4 just to use with the MP. Excellent choice. The cellular equipped version is needed if you don’t want to rely on cached maps.

I am in Australia. Unfortunately we have to pay more here for devices. It’s a iPad mini 4 wifi with cellular. Can buy it from seller for $390. Happy with that as long as it works well. The iPad 3 experience made me weary.

I am in Australia and got mine second hand off Gumtree, it is wifi only and I got it for $250, I use it with a Garman Glo (which I already had) for GPS works well.

I am in Australia and got mine second hand off Gumtree, it is wifi only and I got it for $250, I use it with a Garman Glo (which I already had) for GPS works well.

Thanks mate. I have decided to stick with my IPad Air 2. It has cellular. It is a bit larger but have found a good mount and I really like the bigger screen actually. Performance so far is great.

The mini 4 is $300 when it’s on sale, do not shell out $400.

Very true. Wal Mart has it for $299 now as a clearance item on their website. I went to the local Wal Mart and it was displayed at $299, but they didn't have any in stock. I went to Best Buy and they price-matched Wal-Mart so I could get the one I wanted. I'm looking forward to trying this out tomorrow!

Very true. Wal Mart has it for $299 now as a clearance item on their website. I went to the local Wal Mart and it was displayed at $299, but they didn't have any in stock. I went to Best Buy and they price-matched Wal-Mart so I could get the one I wanted. I'm looking forward to trying this out tomorrow!

I went with the 2018 iPad as it would be used for other purposes beyond the MA.

The advantage of the Mini 4 with cell is it has a GPS. The allows addditional follow me mode like tracking the controller in Autopilot.

There is also the option of mini 4 without cell. I use this with a bad elf bluetooth gps. Works great , just cache maps ahead of time.

My iPad mini 4 won’t cache the maps, it will for a few days but then poof, they’re gone. I haven’t been able to figure out why.

I have never tried caching maps. Always had the cellular capabilities. I am not sure that (personally) I would like to have to rely on cached maps. I like the perceived security that real time maps provides. But that is just me.

My iPad mini 4 won’t cache the maps, it will for a few days but then poof, they’re gone. I haven’t been able to figure out why.

Leave the app open after you cache the maps. You will lose the maps if you close the app and reopen it where there is no wifi.

I did the same thing with Target. They price matched the $299 Walmart sale and then I saved another 5% on top of that when paying with my target card. Thumbswayup

cache the maps

I didn't know how, does this procedure look right? Will the cached map now appear on the Go 4 map screen?

I have an iPad with cellular (no sim card) and fly in a LOT of areas with no cell coverage so I can't hot spot off my cell phone. Am I correct in thinking If I cache a location before I go there to fly I should get GPS location on the cached map because because the iPad is cellular and therefore has GPS access??

Last edited:
Why not create a Hot Spot from your cell phone?
Yes. What he said. That’s what I do because if you get a cellular version you have to pay for a data plan for the mini. For the short amount of use just create a WiFi hotspot with your phone.

My mini 4 is being delivered tonight. I did go with the cellular version and it will be dedicated to the MP only. Read a lot of reviews and suggestions before ordering. Expect it to help with my failing eyes.

That’s what I do because if you get a cellular version you have to pay for a data plan for the mini. For the short amount of use just create a WiFi hotspot with your phone.

I ask as a question.
I started my career in flying :) with an iPad air non cellular, went to an iPad Air 2 cellular and now my iPad Pro 10.5. The last two did not have a plan as I used them strictly for flying. I cached both, is it just the Mini 4 that has that restriction? I got it from Tiger Direct, no plan and they have PayPal. I wanted a silver but they were about $200.00 more than a rose or a gold. Gold is the new silver. . .

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.