Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

IPad mini and controller

freefallnick

Reaction score
Thinking about getting the M2P, I have 7+ phone and a iPad mini 2. Which is the better device to use with the controller? The 7+ has better processor compared to iPad but the iPad has larger screen...? If I were to use the iPad mini does the controller just fit to it or do you have to buy a longer cable or adapter or something?

Neil Reid

Reaction score
I also have an iPhone 7 and it works great with the Mavic Pro. I use a mid sized iPad though for two reasons, 1) it leaves my phone free in case I really need to take a call (99% of the time I just let it roll to vmail, and, 2) you have more screen with which to view the information.

You won't go wrong with either, both have more than enough processing power.

Good luck and I hope this helps a bit.

freefallnick

Reaction score
I also have an iPhone 7 and it works great with the Mavic Pro. I use a mid sized iPad though for two reasons, 1) it leaves my phone free in case I really need to take a call (99% of the time I just let it roll to vmail, and, 2) you have more screen with which to view the information.

You won't go wrong with either, both have more than enough processing power.

Good luck and I hope this helps a bit.
It does help but I’m wondering if the controller comes with everything I need to use the iPad or do I need a different mount or cable since the iPad is much bigger than a phone?

DanMan32

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I believe the Mini 2 fits. The corners go into the slots in the arm.
You can use your existing Mini cable you might use to connect to your PC, just use the bottom USB port. Be sure you remove the short cable from the side port.

brettbrandon

Reaction score
People have been able to get the iPad mini's to hold in the controller but you will need a different cable than what is supplied by DJI.
There are also many iPad holders available that fit in the controller.

EDIT: Was slow typing and Dan beat me to it...
Also, I don't think the iPad Mini 2 runs the current iOS does it? The newest Go4 apps also needs more processing power and it might have trouble there. Folks have been having good luck with the Mini 4.

Last edited:

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
If I were to use the iPad mini does the controller just fit to it or do you have to buy a longer cable or adapter or something?
Some people like wedging their iPad Mini into the remote controller like this:

1574417330534.png

Another option would be to mount the iPad Mini to the remote controller using one of these mounts.

The cable that comes with the iPad Mini could be used, but it's rather long for the job. A cable that's about 1 foot long is what you'll really want. Here are a few cables I like:

Cambond 12" Lightning Cable

1574417634009.png

SKYREAT 13" Lightning Cable

1574417730911.png

freefallnick

Reaction score
Another option would be to mount the iPad Mini to the remote controller using one of these mounts.
Would the mount make the controller easier to hold? Seems like it balance it better if you use a mount to extend it over the controller than having all the weight pulling the controller down? Do you recommend any of those mounts?

DanMan32

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The downside is that many of the mounts obscure the RC display.

freefallnick

Reaction score
Good point, I'll just stick with mounting it like in the photo. Do I need to buy the 13" cable for that? I see in the photo there is a 90 degree lightning cable sticking out of the tablet.

DanMan32

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
If you want to. Because of the bottom USB port, you can use any data cable you want.

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I'm looking at the data in DJI GO 99% of the time.

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Do you recommend any of those mounts?
Some are likely going to be a better fit than others for you. I like the Freewell Lite and SKYREAT Compact mounts.

freefallnick

Reaction score
Some are likely going to be a better fit than others for you. I like the Freewell Lite and SKYREAT Compact mounts.
The Freewell lite looks like the one to get at least out of those 2, can mount the tablet covering the controller or mounting lower to not cover it based on where you attach it. Pretty cool thanks!

DanMan32

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I'm looking at the data in DJI GO 99% of the time.
Same here but some stats are more up front on the RC. I use it as a supplement.

DJI Drone Service
All E RC Mavic Drones

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aovgun