DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPad mini and controller

freefallnick

Reactions
Thinking about getting the M2P, I have 7+ phone and a iPad mini 2. Which is the better device to use with the controller? The 7+ has better processor compared to iPad but the iPad has larger screen...? If I were to use the iPad mini does the controller just fit to it or do you have to buy a longer cable or adapter or something?

I also have an iPhone 7 and it works great with the Mavic Pro. I use a mid sized iPad though for two reasons, 1) it leaves my phone free in case I really need to take a call (99% of the time I just let it roll to vmail, and, 2) you have more screen with which to view the information.

You won't go wrong with either, both have more than enough processing power.

Good luck and I hope this helps a bit.

I also have an iPhone 7 and it works great with the Mavic Pro. I use a mid sized iPad though for two reasons, 1) it leaves my phone free in case I really need to take a call (99% of the time I just let it roll to vmail, and, 2) you have more screen with which to view the information.

You won't go wrong with either, both have more than enough processing power.

Good luck and I hope this helps a bit.

It does help but I’m wondering if the controller comes with everything I need to use the iPad or do I need a different mount or cable since the iPad is much bigger than a phone?

I believe the Mini 2 fits. The corners go into the slots in the arm.
You can use your existing Mini cable you might use to connect to your PC, just use the bottom USB port. Be sure you remove the short cable from the side port.

People have been able to get the iPad mini's to hold in the controller but you will need a different cable than what is supplied by DJI.
There are also many iPad holders available that fit in the controller.

EDIT: Was slow typing and Dan beat me to it...
Also, I don't think the iPad Mini 2 runs the current iOS does it? The newest Go4 apps also needs more processing power and it might have trouble there. Folks have been having good luck with the Mini 4.

Last edited:
If I were to use the iPad mini does the controller just fit to it or do you have to buy a longer cable or adapter or something?
Some people like wedging their iPad Mini into the remote controller like this:

1574417330534.png

Another option would be to mount the iPad Mini to the remote controller using one of these mounts.

The cable that comes with the iPad Mini could be used, but it's rather long for the job. A cable that's about 1 foot long is what you'll really want. Here are a few cables I like:

Cambond 12" Lightning Cable

1574417634009.png

SKYREAT 13" Lightning Cable

1574417730911.png

Another option would be to mount the iPad Mini to the remote controller using one of these mounts.

Would the mount make the controller easier to hold? Seems like it balance it better if you use a mount to extend it over the controller than having all the weight pulling the controller down? Do you recommend any of those mounts?

The downside is that many of the mounts obscure the RC display.
Good point, I'll just stick with mounting it like in the photo. Do I need to buy the 13" cable for that? I see in the photo there is a 90 degree lightning cable sticking out of the tablet.

The downside is that many of the mounts obscure the RC display.
I don't know about you, but I'm looking at the data in DJI GO 99% of the time.

Do you recommend any of those mounts?
Some are likely going to be a better fit than others for you. I like the Freewell Lite and SKYREAT Compact mounts.

Some are likely going to be a better fit than others for you. I like the Freewell Lite and SKYREAT Compact mounts.

The Freewell lite looks like the one to get at least out of those 2, can mount the tablet covering the controller or mounting lower to not cover it based on where you attach it. Pretty cool thanks!

I know this topic is a few days old now but I would like to share some thoughts from my meager experience. I have an iPad Mini 3 (same size as 1 through 4) and I have run into an interesting problem using the Mavic controller arms to grab the iPad as msinger posted above. While flying my Mavic 2Z, I was continually hitting the upper right hand of the iPad screen with my right thumb which in turn activated the menus from the three dots. Maybe it was me and the way I was holding the controller but it was a real pain to deal with. As I result, I purchased a Mavmount (my choice but certainly not everybody's) and used it with great success. I find that all the data on the stock controller is on the GO 4 App although I have no problem reading the data from both the iPad and the controller screen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke