DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini help

Blindluck

Reactions
if I buy the iPad mini 2 non cellular, what does that mean to me, my main interest is to only view my flights and occasional video but want full function of the mavic. RTH ect. Thanks

Wi-Fi only iPad Minis do not contain a GPS receiver. That means you'll be able to do everything but use Follow Me and manually reset the home point to your iPad Mini's current position after taking off.

If I were to buy a used wifi + cellular then I would have gps and be able to have follow me mode and all other functions, is this correct

Reactions: kiteboy
That's correct. You do not need to activate the cellular service in order to use the iPad Mini's GPS.

That's correct. You do not need to activate the cellular service in order to use the iPad Mini's GPS.

Hang on... so I don't even need to have a sim card in the Ipad Mini "wifi + cellular" version?
I find this all very confusing... what can and cannot be done with "wifi" vs "wifi + cellular", map caching etc.

Reactions: pjnashville
Hello,

I stole :) the iPad mini from my daughter,since i have the Mavic,cause my iPhone se screen is not the biggest...all functions work,but indeed you dont have the gps map,only RTH icon

Hang on... so I don't even need to have a sim card in the Ipad Mini "wifi + cellular" version?
I find this all very confusing... what can and cannot be done with "wifi" vs "wifi + cellular", map caching etc.

You do not need a sim card, without one you will still have all the autonomous flight modes that require GPS at the controller end and you will be able to reset your HP should you move location. However without the sim you will not have cellular internet access and as such you will not any be able to load maps on the fly, you will just have to cache them prior to leaving home.

You do not need a sim card, without one you will still have all the autonomous flight modes that require GPS at the controller end and you will be able to reset your HP should you move location. However without the sim you will not have cellular internet access and as such you will not any be able to load maps on the fly, you will just have to cache them prior to leaving home.

Thank you! I think I might be starting to understand this!
Is map caching easy to do for both DJI Go 4 and Litchi?

You can find instructions for caching the maps in DJI GO here.

Reactions: Nszasz and Wysiwyg
Thank you! I think I might be starting to understand this!
Is map caching easy to do for both DJI Go 4 and Litchi?

As an FYI if you are in the US you can get a $5 SIM from apple and get 200mb free data a month from t-mobile to use for maps without having to cache them. No credit card needed at all.

After 3 batteries I use about 8mb, tested twice.

Even without the sim you can tether to your phone using WiFi hotshot - then all modes will work and you'll get the maps as well.

I ran my iPad mini 4 like this connecting to my Samsung s7 edge with no problems at all.

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

As an FYI if you are in the US you can get a $5 SIM from apple and get 200mb free data a month from t-mobile to use for maps without having to cache them. No credit card needed at all.

After 3 batteries I use about 8mb, tested twice.

Unfortunately I don't...

You have to remember to turn mobile WiFi hot-spot on before stuffing your phone in your back pocket. The iPad will happily connect as soon as it sees the WiFi (not normally any other wife's about when flying)
But that's it. It works just fine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Wysiwyg
Last edited:
Reactions: Wysiwyg
I think this question always gets blown out of perspective, because people don't realize that there's just a few features you need for a cellular iPad; The "follow me" and change the home point. Neither of them are something that I never use, or that I would pay for, extra, in an iPad. And an iPad 2 works just as well as a mini4 for me. I just do general flying, and waypoint flying in Litchi.

Reactions: pcfixer
I think this question always gets blown out of perspective, because people don't realize that there's just a few features you need for a cellular iPad; The "follow me" and change the home point. Neither of them are something that I never use, or that I would pay for, extra, in an iPad. And an iPad 2 works just as well as a mini4 for me. I just do general flying, and waypoint flying in Litchi.

Fair enough. Good caveat. Both of those are functions I would anticipate wanting at some point so it's quite compelling for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I think this question always gets blown out of perspective, because people don't realize that there's just a few features you need for a cellular iPad;

Its probley because the ipad is not the cheapest of tablets out there nor is it the best, but its lacking a simple gps chip that is available in nearly all other tablets that cost atleast 50.00. So the point is probley made that, for 100-200 or alot cheaper then an ipad you can have a device that allows full features and better looking screen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52