DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Mini's

That make two of us,cheers for posting this.
Chappy.

GH: I'm betting that you will like that new iPad even better than a Mini4 although I prefer the PP Flight Deck over the MavMount. I started with a Mini4 and while it was fine, the larger and brighter display of the new iPad is more better in my opinion.

I just tried my new mini 5 (with cellular, unactivated) yesterday. It ran flawlessly, looked great. Big upgrade from using my iPhone X. I went with the mini so that it would fit in the arms of the stock controller without the need for an additional mount.

...without the need for an additional mount.

mreloc: I can most definitely understand the desire not to use a display mount. I used my Mini-4 for months with the M2P and loved it. Darn shame you can't use the RC "clamps" with a case on the Mini. That was a bit of a pain but NBD, really.

But as time went by, my old eyes were working pretty hard to see the Mini-4 so I picked up the 2018 iPad. I like the size more better but it does come with the disadvantage of having to use a display mount.

That said, I am interested in the Smart Controller...very interested actually but, there still seem to be a fair number of issues with it that will require firmware updates. So for now, I'm gonna stick with the new iPad but will keep my ear to the ground for improvements in the SC. Assuming it gets to where it IS perfect for what we do, I will almost surely spring for one.

But in your case, you ALMOST have the same quick set up with the Mini-5 and since you love it already, that's wonderful but isn't it amazing what we all think is "perfect?" :)

I'm looking for an inexpensive iPad mini to use as a dedicated screen with my controller. I got a good deal from Walmart on an original Mini but when I got it found that it would not support the DJI Go 4 app because it runs iOS 8. Sounds to me from this thread that getting a Mini 2 or 3 with cellular would give me the most options (ex. follow me mode.). Sound right?

I wouldn't go any older than the mini 4. You're asking for trouble with updates coming out in the next year rendering your new ios obsolete. I use an ipad pro only because I was not buying a new device to fly with. I also have a nexus 7 2013 that still works fine but has a slight lag compared to the ipad pro running 4.3.14

Jeff

I'm looking for an inexpensive iPad mini to use as a dedicated screen with my controller. I got a good deal from Walmart on an original Mini but when I got it found that it would not support the DJI Go 4 app because it runs iOS 8. Sounds to me from this thread that getting a Mini 2 or 3 with cellular would give me the most options (ex. follow me mode.). Sound right?

I agree with Jeff, not any older than a Mini4. 64g minimum imo.
I use a Mini4 128g with cell with my RC, but still prefer the SC for ease of use.
Good luck [emoji106]

Reactions: HVYMTL
Dam now I'm wondering if I will be disappointed with a new Ipad Mini 4's performance. I think I'm going to have to borrow a few Apple toys to fly with before I decide what to buy. Nothing is ever simple. I appreciate all the shared experiences in this thread as well as the info on how to set up an Ipad for best performance.
I use a mini 2, a mini 4, and a 9.7" ipad with no issues.

Does the iPad mini 5 get brighter than the 4? That's the only complaint I have using the 4 with my Mavic 2 Pro.
You can check the Nits on each, but the best combo is a ipad with a full hood. The barracks don't get blown out like on a ultra bright monitor

The Mini 5 is rated at 511 nits, the 4 at 450. So the 5 is a little better, but I doubt it would make a significant difference on a bright day. The new 9.7 Pro is rated at 600 nits. That might be pretty useful and let you get away without a hood more a little often. I do have one of those detachable folding hoods for my Mini 4. it definitely helps.

You can check the Nits on each, but the best combo is a ipad with a full hood. The barracks don't get blown out like on a ultra bright monitor

Half hoods are good. The full hood that goes all the way to your face has saved me on many shoots.

Always used iPhone 6+, but tried now an iPad mini2 (ME800 cellular). The app starts, but no connection to the drone. Tried different cables, but no result. Any other iPad connects perfect.
Any suggestion? Thanks

Because it's the same cable I use with my iPhone 6+; I also tried two original (longer) Apple cables. Als those cables work perfect with two other iPads and another iPhone

Because it's the same cable I use with my iPhone 6+; I also tried two original (longer) Apple cables. Als those cables work perfect with two other iPads and another iPhone
That seems like an app problem. You might try removing and reinstalling the app.

My flying buddy just got an iPad 5 Mini. We'll check it out at a local fly-in this weekend and report back how it works.
Any answer to this yet? Any improvement on the mini4 or any earlier versions?

Any answer to this yet? Any improvement on the mini4 or any earlier versions?
As with most ipad editions, is a incrememental jump that you prob wouldnt notice too much from the 4, maybe a bit more from the 2. Any of those will work though.. at this point it might be harder to find a 2 than a 3 or 4 though, so just grab whatever is in your budget and happy flying!

What I find fascinating about this thread is the diversity of experiences with the same stack. My M2P with a Mini4 has been rock solid and flawless.

I've a lot of flying to to specifically replicate the behaviors reported with the information given. This isn't to dispute what anyone is reporting. If I found the issue I would consider it a boundary/known issue/don't do that kind of thing. I'm sure there are issues, but replicating them has been impossible.

And I believe there are differences within the Mini4 based on the supplier/time of manufacture so we may never know. There are some Apple support diagnostics that I know exist, but not how to invoke them, that might help establish the unknown difference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki