DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Mini's

GH02050

Reactions
Can anyone comment on what would be the base model Ipad Mini that could support DJGo4 & Lichi for my Mavic 2 Pro? I see DJGO4 requires IOS 8 but and it appears that even a gen 1 Ipad Mini can run IOS 8. Would I be unhappy with the performance of a Gen 1 Ipad mini? I'm really just interested in the bigger screen. As i understand it, (please, correct me if I'm wrong) it will need to be cellular model (GPS) to support some functions of the Drone (RTH follow / Active track).

There is a big $ difference between the gen 1 and current iPad Mini's. Any help here is appreciated.

Reactions: GH02050
Yes I do see that BUT, I'm trying not to spend $299. I think I can land an Ipad Mini 2 with 16g for around $100 on ebay. Of course, then again, I do like new. The problem is that since I've opened the Mav2pro box I've been buying all sorts of things I "need" for it :). A new Pelican waterproof case, filters, additional batteries, sd cards, landing pad, Litchi, ...
it's starting to add up.

They wife buys me this nice gift without realizing the can of worms she has opened.
Oh well, you only live once, maybe new is the way to go.

Reactions: siriuset
I think you’re going to have very limited use with the Mini2 if any use at all for the MP2. I had a Mini2, and had issues with an MP1. If it works at all, the next GO4 update may might make it useless.
I was running a Mini4 with 128g and Cell, but I just bought the Smart Controller to try out. Still not sure if it was an upgrade....
When I buy things, I try to think of the future use if I can. I don’t always succeed, but I try [emoji6]

Reactions: gphinney
If it was a 32gb Mini I wouldn't think it was a deal. The 128 gb of storage was the compelling factor.

I haven't decided on the case...

I'm now leaning toward new, possible getting it through AT&T as they will spread out the payments interest free ($24 monthly/20 months) for a 5th gen 64g version.

Reactions: HVYMTL
I have iPad mini 4 and it’s lousy. I run nothing on it and still gets overwhelmed by the DJI APP. It’s not bright enough and it easily overheats. From what I understand you are better off with the regular iPad.., still won’t be bright enough but has a better processor. The picture on the iPad often breaks up and when it’s hot outside or if you use a case for it it gets so bad you lose picture entirely.

I bought the smart controller. Way to expensive but it’s bright enough and it’s so nice to up and running quick..

I have iPad mini 4 and it’s lousy. I run nothing on it and still gets overwhelmed by the DJI APP.
Apple devices perform best when setting them up like this:
Install DJI GO on an Apple Tablet or Phone (Step-by-Step Guide)

The picture on the iPad often breaks up and when it’s hot outside or if you use a case for it it gets so bad you lose picture entirely.
Yes, this is certainly an issue in hot weather -- even more so if you're not able to stand in a shaded area.

Dam now I'm wondering if I will be disappointed with a new Ipad Mini 4's performance. I think I'm going to have to borrow a few Apple toys to fly with before I decide what to buy. Nothing is ever simple. I appreciate all the shared experiences in this thread as well as the info on how to set up an Ipad for best performance.

I've never had any problems with my iPad Mini 4 overheating. When flying in hot weather (less than 100 F), I remove the case and fly in the shade.

Reactions: MichiganMavic
My iPad 4 Mini works flawlessly except when shooting in H.265 (10 bit color). H.265 is a resource hog, and causes the iPad 4 Mini to lag, and REALLY slows down rendering in post. My flying buddy just got an iPad 5 Mini. We'll check it out at a local fly-in this weekend and report back how it works.

My flying buddy just got an iPad 5 Mini. We'll check it out at a local fly-in this weekend and report back how it works.

Thank you, that would be very much appreciated!! Looking forward to your review.

I'm sorry I have so many questions but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the need for cellular service on the Ipad Mini. AT&T tells me I can't use both devices (iphone/ipad mini) with my existing number. This got me thinking, if I got an iPad without the GPS, could I connect it via wifi to my iphone to utilize the phone's GPS for features like active track and or RTH (following the remote)? Inquiring minds want to know.

AT&T tells me I can't use both devices (iphone/ipad mini) with my existing number.

I use AT&T with an iPhone and an iPad. I don't know what they mean by "use". You can share whatever you want from the internet from your iPhone to your iPad via Bluetooth if you have a data plan with them. I don't know if AT&T has any subscribers without a data plan now, but I think it's highly unlikely.

You'd never need to call using the iPad since you have an iPhone.

You can wire your iPad to your PC/Mac, too.

My first iPad, which was iPad v 1 had a cell dialup capability. Back then it made sense. I've owned a bunch of iPads since then and none of them since then.

If you didn't have an iPhone or other mobile device, the cell capability in the iPad makes sense. Other than that, I can't think of a reason I'd buy an iPad with a cell plan.

if I got an iPad without the GPS, could I connect it via wifi to my iphone to utilize the phone's GPS for features like active track and or RTH (following the remote)?
ActiveTrack doesn't use GPS data. Follow Me does though.

If you connect your iPad to a hotspot on your mobile phone, you will only be able to connect to the Internet. That will not allow you to share GPS data. As long as you have a cellular iPad model, it will contain a GPS receiver that is usable even if cellular service has not been activated on the iPad.

Reactions: siriuset
The number assigned to my Mini4 cannot accept calls, I think its just a way ATT identifies which data plan is being used. It’s only $10 a month. Very convenient when traveling for me. I can Netflix anywhere too[emoji6]

Reactions: GH02050
After much back and forth with this and after speaking with AT&T about adding the device again (this time I got a different story) I was quoted an additional $20 monthly plus the cost of the device. I declined and instead opted to buy a new 9.7" Ipad from B & H (love that place). I also bought a MavMount™ 3.0 (it seemed like a sturdy product). Anyway money is just flying out the windows now..lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ICantStopTheLoneliness