DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad ?

I have a dumb question here. I am looking at buying the 7th Gen. Do you need to have an iPad with Cellular data to use it?

Just makes it more convenient in remote places.
If you use WiFi, you need to cache your maps (plan where you are at in the app).
Cellular, you do not need to...BUT will you have service in remote areas?

Just makes it more convenient in remote places.
If you use WiFi, you need to cache your maps (plan where you are at in the app).
Cellular, you do not need to...BUT will you have service in remote areas?
Yes, really remote area. Poor cellular connectivity also. How does it record the home point without cellular connection. That's my main worry.

Yes, really remote area. Poor cellular connectivity also. How does it record the home point without cellular connection. That's my main worry.
The Mavic has a perfectly good GPS receiver of its own that it uses for all flight functions.
And don't worry much about maps anyway.
They aren't at all necessary, I've used them twice in 900 flights.

I've never owned a cell phone, so when I bought my iPad mini (gen 5) last spring, I spent the extra $$ and got one with the generic SIM. I already had a VOIP number I use as an extra line on my home PBX and was able to find an app that lets me use that on the iPad. I then found that, because it is a generic SIM, you can get really cheap, simple data plans that don't require a contract. I got 5 GB of data, good for 5 months, for $10. This was much, much cheaper than adding the iPad to my family's AT&T plan (they all have phones, even though I don't).

My point is that even though you don't need to have a cell option in order to fly using your iPad, it sure is nice to be able to use it for everything else when you are a passenger on a long drive.

I thought I would look for a used iPad just to see if one is as good as the Android tablet that I use for my display.
I am now totally confused by all the different versions & generations of versions.
What do you Apple fans recommend ? bearing in mind its only use will be for my display screen.
At the moment I use a 10” Samsung table with a none reflective screen, I have no problems with it but thought am I missing out on something by not going with Apple.
For those of you who use an iPad I would appreciate some advice.
Go with the iPad Mini 5 with cellular. I have recent switched to Mini 5 with cellular as my previous Mini 4 wifi was unable to track my location with gps, even though it is connected to my iPhone as hotspot. You will feel the weight of a full size iPad when holding it for too Long.

Reactions: deleted member 877

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure