DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone 13 Pro Max

FYI, here's a happy person who is currently actually using the iPhone 13 ProMax with the controller and has done so for more almost a week. Never saw a screen going dark using my iPhone 12 ProMax and I'm sure not seeing it now on my iPhone 13 ProMax.
It will darken when you get it in the hot sun.

Reactions: jay2020
It will darken when you get it in the hot sun.
Ok. In the extremely bright sunlight here in Sydney Australia, there is not a hint of screen dimming under any conditions on the iPhone 12/13 or my with 1500 nit Atomos Inferno monitor/recorder. Maybe one day I'll get to experience this. Thank you for the input regardless. I'll keep an eye out.

Last edited:
I’ve been flying my MA2 on my I12PM for nearly a year & in extreme temperatures & never has the screen dimmed or gone black… maybe I’m just lucky. I always close all other Apps prior to flying on DJI & Maven. Also, I never remove my LiteChaser Pro case from the iPhone.

Reactions: pietdv
I think the iPhone 13 is going to be a great device once they get the bugs worked out that always occur in new releases. Yes, the iPhone can serve multiple purposes. What do you have now? Perhaps retired that to a dedicated drone screen and just save your 13 for other purposes.

I was just reading today that the 13 shoots in ProRes, so the compression is good and works with all major video editing programs. I've been needing something that shoots decent video without requiring a lot of extra gear and I think the 13 suits my needs, even though I just inherited an XR. Once the 13 has been out for awhile I will retire the XR drone duty, or sell/trade it for a mini ipad. It's been 8 years since I've bought a "new" iPhone, but the 13 really has my attention.

One thing that is worth mentioning is to check the weights of the different iPhone 13's. While I have an XR my other half has an XS Max, I think (slightly larger)... but it is significantly heavier for a minimal size gain. I don't know how the 13's play into the size/weight conundrum.

I just ordered the iPhone 13 Pro Max and was wondering if anyone has this phone yet? If so, has anyone tried it with the Mavic Mini 2 or similar UAS? I was debating between a larger phone, such as the iPhone 13 Pro Max, or an iPad mini. I went with the iPhone as it serves two purposes and I believe the screen is 6.7" should be decent for flying the Mavic Mini 2 and beyond (hope to test part 107 sooner than later and get a larger UAS). I am new to the forum but have gained some valuable information and appreciate any input on this. I hope the standard phone holder on the controller with fit the 13 Pro Max and the software won't be an issue...thank you.

Stay safe!
Jay
I use an iPad mini and appreciate having the larger screen. I just picked up the 13 Pro but not the Max. The brightness in the sun is superior to the mini. Maybe with the Max iPhone the size and brightness would be a plus. It's supposed to reach 1200 nits when in HD mode viewing, but I think 800 normally

I think as long as the viewing device (Albeit a phone or tablet) has a 64bit Processor/CPU it will work, be it Apple or Android, providing you download/install the appropriate DJI app.
I use a 10.2 inch Lenovo M12 tablet 64 bit octa-core processor with the DJI (Fly) app,
I had to purchase a extension bracket to hold the large screen, but it works very well, but I wish the screen was more matt as it is reflective.

I use an iPad mini and appreciate having the larger screen. I just picked up the 13 Pro but not the Max. The brightness in the sun is superior to the mini. Maybe with the Max iPhone the size and brightness would be a plus. It's supposed to reach 1200 nits when in HD mode viewing, but I think 800 normally
I just compared the 13 Pro Max to the 12 Pro Max and the 13 is definitely brighter! I just bought a phone shade to try out too

I flew with my 13 Pro Max for the first time today. It is a little thicker (millimeters?) than the 12 Pro Max, but with an apple silicone case on, it still fits very well in the slot on the DJI Mini 2 controller.

I didn’t do any running around, but I did hold it upside down without a second thought and it held as well as the 12 Pro Max. If anything it’s a little tighter fit which is a plus with my case.

I can imagine some monster protective cases making those millimeters more consequential though, so in terms of fit, ymmv.

In terms of screen size, the bigger the better imho. I’ve even flown with my 12.9 iPad Pro on a stationary tripod, plugged in to my controller with a long cable sticking out. I’m sure I looked ridiculous. If it wasn’t so cumbersome, that’s what I’d use everyday.

I flew with my 13 Pro Max for the first time today. It is a little thicker (millimeters?) than the 12 Pro Max, but with an apple silicone case on, it still fits very well in the slot on the DJI Mini 2 controller.

I didn’t do any running around, but I did hold it upside down without a second thought and it held as well as the 12 Pro Max. If anything it’s a little tighter fit which is a plus with my case.

I can imagine some monster protective cases making those millimeters more consequential though, so in terms of fit, ymmv.

In terms of screen size, the bigger the better imho. I’ve even flown with my 12.9 iPad Pro on a stationary tripod, plugged in to my controller with a long cable sticking out. I’m sure I looked ridiculous. If it wasn’t so cumbersome, that’s what I’d use everyday.
That’s kinda cool to have such a large screen. I want to try flying on a big screen.
Maybe I can hook it to my 60” TV ? that would be impressive.

I’m also getting a 13 Pro Max but wondering how it would compare to an iPad mini?
I would say that the iPad mini is larger which is pretty much the advantage. But the 13 Pro/max has advantages in itself. If you want an iPad, you can go with WIFI, or for an increased cost you can have Wifi/cellular. But you pay monthly just to have the cellular. With the iPhone you have both built in and pay for a service you'd have anyway. I'm not sure what the camera specs are on the iPad, but I'm not sure it will have the camera capabilities of the 13 Pro/max, at least yet. Lastly, if you do any work with a hand held gimbal, the iPad might not fit. While I don't use it much, I really like the gimbal I bought for my XR... and may be the deciding factor whether I choose the Pro of the Max.

One more thing that's come to mind, but if I'm not mistaken the Pro and Max can shoot in PRORES, no? It seems that the file sizes will be much larger and should be a consideration in choosing memory size.

I’m also getting a 13 Pro Max but wondering how it would compare to an iPad mini?

Having used the IPhone 13 Pro Max now for 4 flights, I am quite happy with it. It barely fits into holder with the case around it I have which I will probably have to replace soon depending on the stretching durability but the Pro Max’s size is more than enough for me. Anything bigger and I start obstructing the view of my controller and then I would have to figure out a whole new set up.

WDK

Attachments

• 6F7228A2-AE23-4FDA-881E-52EBB656993A.jpeg
    6F7228A2-AE23-4FDA-881E-52EBB656993A.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 12
i'm now using tripltek 8; it's a bit heavy but the screen is amazing and assuring, even in full sun. very little latency or lag. far better than the iphone 12. very worthwhile purchase.

Reactions: Wreckhunter
Having used the IPhone 13 Pro Max now for 4 flights, I am quite happy with it. It barely fits into holder with the case around it I have which I will probably have to replace soon depending on the stretching durability but the Pro Max’s size is more than enough for me. Anything bigger and I start obstructing the view of my controller and then I would have to figure out a whole new set up.

WDK
Hope your screen brightness holds up in direct sunlight and warm temps.
And does not go dim on you.
Thats why I no longer use a phone and Instead use a Tripltek 7" pro model.
Bright 1200 nit screen that never dims,far far better than any phone for flying.

Reactions: Platoon
Hope your screen brightness holds up in direct sunlight and warm temps.
And does not go dim on you.
Thats why I no longer use a phone and Instead use a Tripltek 7" pro model.
Bright 1200 nit screen that never dims,far far better than any phone for flying.
This is an Android based tablet.

Apple doesn’t start shipping the 13 Pro Max until the end of September/early October. I just ordered yesterday and delivery is first week in October. I’m hoping the new phone will not suffer the dimming screen issue that my 12 pro max has. The 13 Pro Max has 1000 nits max brightness (typical); 1200 nits max brightness (HDR) … crossing my fingers in anticipation!
Hope the screen can sustain that brightness in direct sunlight and when its hot outside.
Without going dim on you.
I dont know about if the 13 pro will be any better,only time will tell.
Thats why I no longer use a phone and fly with a Tripltek 7 inch pro
tablet.
The bright screen is guaranteed stable brightness in any condition
Much Much better than any phone for flying.

Reactions: Platoon
Hope the screen can sustain that brightness in direct sunlight and when its hot outside.
Without going dim on you.
I dont know about if the 13 pro will be any better,only time will tell.
Thats why I no longer use a phone and fly with a Tripltek 7 inch pro
tablet.
The bright screen is guaranteed stable brightness in any condition
Much Much better than any phone for flying.
Perhaps you should get a medal for buying that tablet……I am happy with what I have and will deal with any undesired problems should I come across any!!

WDK

• Haha
Reactions: Komatsu
Perhaps you should get a medal for buying that tablet……I am happy with what I have and will deal with any undesired problems should I come across any!!

WDK
Ok ,just giving you my opinion after 200 flights with this tablet.
Have a good one

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser