DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone 6sPlus iOS update conundrum. How could this be?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Somehow I ended up with two iPhone 6s Pluses around the time I got my new hand-me-down XR. One of thems was mine and served as my phone and I used to fly my drones until I got the XR. The second 6sPlus was my sister-in-laws which she gave to me. I actually had the battery replaced in hers. But my old 6s's iOS is 14.6 and the other identical 6s will only update to ios 12.3. How could this be?

The only reason that it's an issue is I wanted to download DroneVR and it wanted to download a legacy version. Is there a way to force the phone to update to where it's supposed to be?

My guess is that the iPhone stuck on 12.3 is a 6, not a 6s. I have a 6 and my wife has a 6s. I am version limited to a v12.x thread. She can update to the latest v14.x thread.

Physically, they look identical. You can verify in Settings => About => Model Name. Current version for the 6 is 12.5.3.

I know of no way to force upgrade an iPhone 6 to v14.x.

Somehow I ended up with two iPhone 6s Pluses around the time I got my new hand-me-down XR. One of thems was mine and served as my phone and I used to fly my drones until I got the XR. The second 6sPlus was my sister-in-laws which she gave to me. I actually had the battery replaced in hers. But my old 6s's iOS is 14.6 and the other identical 6s will only update to ios 12.3. How could this be?

The only reason that it's an issue is I wanted to download DroneVR and it wanted to download a legacy version. Is there a way to force the phone to update to where it's supposed to be?
Vindibona12:

When I have an Apple problem, I call 1-800-APPLECARE. 1-800-275-2273. It is always free, and the techs are great. If they cannot answer your question, you'll be sent to a supervisor and, If it can be done, they are the ones who will know the answer to this.

By the way, they will be able to screen share with your phone using your e-mail.

Dale

Reactions: Thomas B
My guess is that the iPhone stuck on 12.3 is a 6, not a 6s. I have a 6 and my wife has a 6s. I am version limited to a v12.x thread. She can update to the latest v14.x thread.

Physically, they look identical. You can verify in Settings => About => Model Name. Current version for the 6 is 12.5.3.

I know of no way to force upgrade an iPhone 6 to v14.x.
ding ding ding... You nailed it. I thought they were the same all along, but no. The other one is just a 6 plus. I didn't know there was such a thing. Did the 6s come after the regular 6? I don't keep up with these things as I don't need to newest latest technology and free hand-me-downs two years into a model have always been sufficient for my needs.

I hadn't had issues with Go4 or DJI Fly. But DroneVR needs a legacy download. I wonder what is lacks from the newer version.

ding ding ding... You nailed it. I thought they were the same all along, but no. The other one is just a 6 plus. I didn't know there was such a thing. Did the 6s come after the regular 6? I don't keep up with these things as I don't need to newest latest technology and free hand-me-downs two years into a model have always been sufficient for my needs.

I hadn't had issues with Go4 or DJI Fly. But DroneVR needs a legacy download. I wonder what is lacks from the newer version.
The 6/6 Plus was released in Sept 2014. The 6s/6s Plus came in Sept 2015. The upgrade limitation is the reason I replaced my iPhone 6 with an 8. Now the 6 (without a SIM) does duty as my DJI controller screen. If I need the 6 to have access to the internet I just turn on the hotspot feature on the 8.

The 6/6 Plus was released in Sept 2014. The 6s/6s Plus came in Sept 2015. The upgrade limitation is the reason I replaced my iPhone 6 with an 8. Now the 6 (without a SIM) does duty as my DJI controller screen. If I need the 6 to have access to the internet I just turn on the hotspot feature on the 8.
Yep. I just got a hand me down XR plus the hand me down 6plus. Along with my old 6sPlus, like you, without a sim card I can dedicate each phone to control each of my drones. Actually they came in useful as I did a film job 2 weeks ago where I had two drones hovering while filming while simultaneously filiming with my XR and Canon 5D mk III. Yes... I had assistants and VO's should any issues occur. Actually my XR did a better job filming than my Canon.

Reactions: 66427cobra
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21