DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone X / AN Other Phone Covers which work with the Mavic Controller?

Numone

Reactions
Although the one I have is quiet narrow, adding a mil or 2 to the thickness, its just enough so it will not fit into the rubber holder. ?
So has anyone had experience with a make / style of cover which will fit into the Mavic Controller? I’ve only just got the XS (another birthday gift - very lucky) and don’t really want to risk having it drop out of the control arms without any form of.... ahem.... protection!? Any help appreciated.

Hope someone has a suggestion. I have a “minimalist” rubber case on my XR and while it fits in the side grips it doesn’t seat deep into them. I’m not worried about it falling out (grips well) but it is ungainly. Sigh, I’ve taken to always removing the case before flight.
NB

Reactions: Numone
Thanks Bob. Yeah, it’s a PITA. I’ve see that some have taken a Stanley knife to the rubber fins but want to avoid that last resort. Hopefully someone will have a suggestion.

Hey guys, since this is for iPhone users, have you guys tried Android devices instead of iPhones? Curious if one of better than the other

Hey guys, since this is for iPhone users, have you guys tried Android devices instead of iPhones? Curious if one of better than the other
Well, as I’ve only had an iPhone XS for less than a week, I’m not planning on changing to a droid any time soon, if at all!

Well, as I’ve only had an iPhone XS for less than a week, I’m not planning on changing to a droid any time soon, if at all!
Lol! I can't work with apples closed Eco system. I like freedom. Want to but the Galaxy Fold but it cost 2000$.

I have an iphone XR that i use with my MP RC and I haven't had any issues to date with it sliding out of the grips. I also dont have a case either lol

Hope someone has a suggestion. I have a “minimalist” rubber case on my XR and while it fits in the side grips it doesn’t seat deep into them. I’m not worried about it falling out (grips well) but it is ungainly. Sigh, I’ve taken to always removing the case before flight.
NB
Hi
I have the iPhone XS and their thinnest case but it still doesn’t fit in the handgrip so I have to remove the case of using the grip but it does seem to hold the phone securely. However I’ve just bought a Freewell holder for clamping around the handset to have phone at top so that I can angle it in sunshine and the phone ‘just’ fits into the holder, however it is a very tight fit. Hope this helps?

I can fit an iPhone 8 Plus in a Kavaj Dallas leather case with the front open and glass screen protector into the Mavic Pro R/c. I’d forgotten my iPad mini 4 so I installed litchi to the iPhone and flew.

Hi
I have the iPhone XS and their thinnest case but it still doesn’t fit in the handgrip so I have to remove the case of using the grip but it does seem to hold the phone securely. However I’ve just bought a Freewell holder for clamping around the handset to have phone at top so that I can angle it in sunshine and the phone ‘just’ fits into the holder, however it is a very tight fit. Hope this helps?
I’ll take a look at the Freewell holder. Thanks!

Although the one I have is quiet narrow, adding a mil or 2 to the thickness, its just enough so it will not fit into the rubber holder. ?
So has anyone had experience with a make / style of cover which will fit into the Mavic Controller? I’ve only just got the XS (another birthday gift - very lucky) and don’t really want to risk having it drop out of the control arms without any form of.... ahem.... protection!? Any help appreciated.

Hi Numone-

I'm also an iPhone XS user with my Mavic Air. I use the slim Apple Silicone case, but even so as you found it is just a little too thick to slide into the handgrip slots. The main problem being that it won't slide in deep enough to mate with the RC lightning cable. And there was simply no way I was going to remove my XS from its case every time I went to fly.

Then it dawned on me. The little slide that holds the RC cable is removable, and in fact has to be removed when you switch between iPhone or Android cables. So I simply removed it and found it trivial to plug it into my iPhone by hand before closing the handgrips around the iPhone. The combo of my silicone case and the rubber RC feet provide a very solid grip on the iPhone. And a bonus is that I don't have to fiddle with aligning the slide to mate with the lightning port on the iPhone.

And if you try this and don't like it, you can simply reinstall the slide and go back to the original setup. Hope this helps!

Kupe

IMG_6168.jpg
IMG_6169.jpgIMG_6171.jpgIMG_6172.jpgIMG_6173.jpgIMG_6168.jpg

@tmtwomey

I was just gonna post that same link - there are a few on the forums that have stated they use those same holder clips for their iPhones.

Hi Numone-

I'm also an iPhone XS user with my Mavic Air. I use the slim Apple Silicone case, but even so as you found it is just a little too thick to slide into the handgrip slots. The main problem being that it won't slide in deep enough to mate with the RC lightning cable. And there was simply no way I was going to remove my XS from its case every time I went to fly.

Then it dawned on me. The little slide that holds the RC cable is removable, and in fact has to be removed when you switch between iPhone or Android cables. So I simply removed it and found it trivial to plug it into my iPhone by hand before closing the handgrips around the iPhone. The combo of my silicone case and the rubber RC feet provide a very solid grip on the iPhone. And a bonus is that I don't have to fiddle with aligning the slide to mate with the lightning port on the iPhone.

And if you try this and don't like it, you can simply reinstall the slide and go back to the original setup. Hope this helps!

Kupe

Nice one! Thanks for your help Kupe, I’ll give this a try today!

Lol! I can't work with apples closed Eco system. I like freedom. Want to but the Galaxy Fold but it cost 2000$.

I wouldnt pine for the Fold mate. Apparently they break after a week.

If Paperclips break after bending back and forth, you cant expect a OLED screen to not do something
similiar

You could funny glue Two Galaxy 10 together for the same price
Or a Galaxy and a s10 while you practice with your Apple X

It’s a POC.. all the ones sent to European journalists in the last couple of weeks have failed and in a couple of cases, the screens actually snapped. Brilliant for £1,900 PHONE?? Give me a break... ?

Reactions: MavicFT1P
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming