DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Iphone X - Mavic pro - we have a problem.

jontracey

Reactions
Today was iPhone X day, after unboxing and installing I rushed out to try it on my Mavic and ran straight into an problem.

For a thousand bucks, I'd much rather buy another Mavic than another phone.
It's just a PHONE. $300 or less is about right for that and my BB Z10 is far more secure.

Everyone has their poison :) how is your BBz10 more secure, are BB even in business any more ?

They are, although sadly not exactly a market leader anymore - I followed the trajectory of the company and there are many biz-school courses that could be constructed around what their management did to screw up their #1 position.

The BB OS10 is built for security and avoids all the nonsense we've seen about privacy invasion on the Big Two platforms. They now build Android phones, with their business model focused on adding a lot more security to the Android OS. I dunno; so far, I'm happy with what I've got.

Yep, to each their own; I regard it as just a very-secure phone, although with other capabilities.

For flying my Mavic, I dedicated a stripped-down Nexus 7 to do the job, deleting everything from it not necessary for that purpose. Are you considering doing the same with your Model 6 with the larger display? I'm just not comfortable flying a drone with a device that's also running phone and many other apps as well. Now I'm learning how to fly it with my new goggles - that's a hoot and a half.

Have fun with your new device!

Last edited:
So what exactly is the problem? The title of the thread really isn't very useful..

So what exactly is the problem? The title of the thread really isn't very useful..
The Mavic controller clamps that hold the phone in place block the face sensors. Since there's no other way to unlock the phone, you have to jiggle the phone out of the controller to wake it up.
Just another reminder to me that I'd make a very poor cult member.

I'm wondering how long it'll take for civil-rights lawsuits to ensue once cops start forcing phones to unlock by pointing them at handcuffed suspects' faces. You can't withhold that like a PIN.

Reactions: dbcnc1955
The Mavic controller clamps that hold the phone in place block the face sensors. Since there's no other way to unlock the phone, you have to jiggle the phone out of the controller to wake it up.

I'm wondering how long it'll take for civil-rights lawsuits to ensue once cops start forcing phones to unlock by pointing them at handcuffed suspects' faces. You can't withhold that like a PIN.

Ha, that's "progress" for you I guess... I generally do agree with the quote by Antoine de Saint-Exupery - "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away" but really it doesn't necessarily apply to everything.. I'll keep my buttons, thank you.

Reactions: PT_Mavic
Ha, that's "progress" for you I guess... I generally do agree with the quote by Antoine de Saint-Exupery - "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away" but really it doesn't necessarily apply to everything.. I'll keep my buttons, thank you.
My phone's never had a Home button, but then it never needed one. But I will indeed keep my headphone jack - my Ultimate Ears IEMs wouldn't have it any other way.

With so many newer phones having screens running right up to the edges, it must be driving Otter Box crazy trying to design effective protection. That is the design decision that causes the problem described by the OP, of course.

Jeepers, when I fly, I turn off any lock screens or face locks, it only takes a sec to do before placing phone in jaws and ensures phone never goes into lock screen while flying. Thats the last thing you want is try and fiddle around trying to unlock your screen whike flying a $1000 plus machine. You need your phone or tablet to stay open on the app at all times. Personally I think its irresponsible to have lockscreens in operation while flying a drone or being in control of one. JMO.

I got same phone and I’m not able to connect to MPP how da hell is his working?

Actually you can unlock the phone with the passcode.....you literally just swipe up from the bottom and when it doesn't recognize your face it asks for the passcode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu