DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is a stationary hyperlapse off a deck during a TFR illegal?

Nor Cal pilot

Reactions
Is a stationary hyperlapse off a deck during a TFR illegal? Can I just operate only the drone for a computer download during a TFR?
Grounded for APEC.

Is a stationary hyperlapse off a deck during a TFR illegal? Can I just operate only the drone for a computer download during a TFR?
Grounded for APEC.
If you're not flying, you're not subject to flight regulations. If by "stationary hyperlapse" you mean launching the drone and hovering, you're flying.

Yeah, I guess I meant on the deck. There is no flight involved. I'm going to be easy to find if any authority is watching through RID. May not risk filming.

Yeah, I guess I meant on the deck. There is no flight involved. I'm going to be easy to find if any authority is watching through RID. May not risk filming.
If the drone remains sitting on the deck with the motors running, you're not flying. The RID may be broadcasting, but it will show the drone at 0 altitude and not moving. No problem there. Shoot the hyperlapse. After all, it documents your location and lack of movement.

Last edited:
As stated. No FLY no FOUL!!

Grounded for APEC.
What’s a TFR and what’s APEC?

Temporary Flight Restriction - FAA temporarily restricts airspace for a significant event

Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation - trade group, conference held in San Francisco

Reactions: Crash Gibby
What’s a TFR and what’s APEC?
My questions as well.

I would HIGHLY suggest you both take (or go Re-Review) the TRUST information. It's not just something that's a good idea, it's legally REQUIRED to fly under the Exception for Limited Recreational Operations of Unmanned Aircraft (USC 44809)

Here's a quick exert from the TRUST at Pilot Institute:

• Certain airspace is permanently restricted or prohibited for recreational drone flyers
    • Airspace surrounding certain military facilities and national security locations, such as the White House, are prohibited for drone flying
  • At times, it may be necessary for the FAA to temporarily restrict airspace
    • These restrictions are called Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) and do not allow any drone flying
    • TFRs may be established days in advance, or with little notice
  • You might find a TFR in your area during a Presidential visit, during major sporting events, or in times of severe weather/natural disasters
  • Unauthorized flying in restricted airspace is a federal crime
    • Violators can face fines from the FAA and additional prosecution from law enforcement

Load B4UFLY app onto your phone and check it before you attempt to fly....HOWEVER aside recognizing TFRs and Controlled Airspace, it does not give advisories regarding any local restrictions against flying ...such as flying from within National Parks, so it is incumbent upon YOU, the operator to check all sources for the areas where you want to take off and fly

I've used my Mavics as hand held cameras in the past, better camera than others I own. Might work better than on a deck or table.

Reactions: Torque
Just some ideas.

Drone depending, if the drone is not flying might over heating be a possible danger?

If inside a known TFR, will DJI software allow a motor start?

If you can and do start the motors but don't take off make sure to keep the flight logs, they should show no take off.
Drone depending, some drones record readable DAT flight logs on the screen device, make sure you get copies of the screen device DAT BEFORE the app syncs with DJI, that is if you have the APP set to sync.
They would, if readable, show motor speeds too slow for the drone to be flying.

If you can surround the deck with a nylon net, such that the drone has no escape route to open air, might that, from a legal stand point, serve to allow you to fly inside the net?

Could you shoot the imagery with a tripod mounted normal camera?

If you're not in the air that's what RID will show.

Nothing to fear in this case from RID.

Enclosing the space to prove the drone couldn't have been flying seems like a lot of wasted effort, when there can be no evidence it was flying anyway, which is necessary in the US to accuse someone of violating a TFR.

Don't fly in the TFR, no authority will have any reason – or evidence – from which to bother you. So they won't.

Last edited:
Grounded for APEC.
I would just use a camera to record the video. You can set most modern digital cameras to shoot at intervals and create your hyperlapse. Or perhaps there's a Pocket 3 in your future!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki