DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is anyone else experiencing frequent disconnections?

Just to clarify, I didn't have any disconnects (that weren't legitimately interference-induced) when running DJI Go 3 - so for me, at least, the problem seems to be related to the newer app. The fact that it predictably and consistently disconnects when I start a POI event seems telling.

My Solo, while certainly bigger than Mavic, with shorter flight times, was at least solid, dependable and super useful. Also I think I am safe in saying 3DR Solo smart shots beat anything DJI intelligent flight has going so far HANDS DOWN. OK, so the Mavic's visual tracking and gesture modes are a cute gimmick but the 3DR people really based their entire development efforts at flight macros that are super user friendly and very useful for capturing cinematic aerial sequences.
JC
Interesting comparison, especially since the Solo is based on open software developed and matured over many years. I have had similar thoughts regarding the lowly Parrot Bebop. The Bebop 2 is the same size and configuration as Mavic, is very light, and flies 20 - 25 minutes. And it also does waypoint missions and visual tracking. Most importantly it is rock solid reliable. But, of course, that is because the firmware is also mature. Thanks to all you early adopters Mavic will eventually get there. I'll try Mavic in a year or two.

Had my Magic for a few days now and have had disconnects from the video link on a regular basis. Firmware is up to date and the AC flies well, had one incident when I was requested to hit the RTH slider, but I landed normally. Set an email off to DJI support to flag the problem, but I reckon we will have to wait for the next firmware update to possibly fix the issue. I am currently using the iPhone 5s but will be using the iPhone 6 as a permanent device in the next few days, Interesting to see if this fixers the problem.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I flew today with the v4 app and latest firmware and didn't have any problems. It was weird though, I checked out an unfinished cell tower and a few minutes later a black nondescript helicopter flys extremely close to the tower I was flying near. He then circled around my position then flew away behind my work. I had the mav close to me at that point, but it was weird how close he was to the tower and his height was probably around 175 feet or less, seems dangerous. Did not seem like a coincidence.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MavicPilots mobile app

I flew today with the v4 app and latest firmware and didn't have any problems. It was weird though, I checked out an unfinished cell tower and a few minutes later a black nondescript helicopter flys extremely close to the tower I was flying near. He then circled around my position then flew away behind my work. I had the mav close to me at that point, but it was weird how close he was to the tower and his height was probably around 175 feet or less, seems dangerous. Did not seem like a coincidence.

@jonwitte, would you mind verifying something for me? I too have no disconnects UNLESS I try to start a POI activetrack. Next time you fly, position your MP over a point of interest, and select point of interest. Set height and radius, then hit start/OK. In my case, the instant I hit OK/Start (can't recall the nomenclature) I get a disconnect. It lasts about 10 seconds, then returns with the POI aborted.

@jonwitte, would you mind verifying something for me? I too have no disconnects UNLESS I try to start a POI activetrack. Next time you fly, position your MP over a point of interest, and select point of interest. Set height and radius, then hit start/OK. In my case, the instant I hit OK/Start (can't recall the nomenclature) I get a disconnect. It lasts about 10 seconds, then returns with the POI aborted.
I'll give it a try

I've only flew through three pages of this thread and a few other threads. No one with an iPhone is complaining of these problems. I experienced a battery error (twice) and loss of signal on my second flight (I haven't had a third flight, yet). Most everyone is a Droid user, as am I. There are one or two Pixel phones.

Has anyone placing your phone in Airplane Mode while piloting? I'm not trying to be glib. I wonder if incoming data is interfering with the processing of the DJI app.

No one with an iPhone is complaining of these problems...... I wonder if incoming data is interfering with the processing of the DJI app.
You apparently missed all the reports of the RC transmitter disconnections. The app is not involved in these disconnections.

You apparently missed all the reports of the RC transmitter disconnections. The app is not involved in these disconnections.

So the app can't interfere with the controller? I haven't read where someone was flying with the controller alone and lost connection.

Only a few days in and experienced many disconnections, hence my googling my way here. Oneplus 3 strapped on beneath. Prompted by one of y'all clever people here, I airplane-moded before connecting to the controller etc, and had a good long flight and some serious zooming about. And hovering. And no disconnects this time. Sample size of one for me, but thats an improvement so far. Unrelated, but I've taken to hand catching - it's that or mow the lawn!

Only a few days in and experienced many disconnections, hence my googling my way here. Oneplus 3 strapped on beneath. Prompted by one of y'all clever people here, I airplane-moded before connecting to the controller etc, and had a good long flight and some serious zooming about. And hovering. And no disconnects this time. Sample size of one for me, but thats an improvement so far. Unrelated, but I've taken to hand catching - it's that or mow the lawn!

Tell me more about the oneplus 3. Are you strapping a phone to your MP?

Tell me more about the oneplus 3. Are you strapping a phone to your MP?
Yep, thats the one. So after a couple more flights:
- once, I forgot to airplane-mode, went up, hovered about 30 seconds, disconnected. I looked down noticed my phone was not airplane mode so landed, power cycled everything, airplane mode on phone, then flew again. No problems or disconnections this time.
- today, remembered the mode, flew great but, as soon as I tired POI the connection (to the phone, controller still functional) died - reconnected almost straight away, but had forgotten POI mode. makes me think its an app issue perhaps there.

note: Im running dual SIMs, so maybe thats twice the radio output from my phone (plus wifi etc) - Im thinking maybe thats interfering with signals. So airplane mode seems to _help_ some, at this stage at least.

however, the power brick on my charging hub has now **** itself, and refuses to charge any batteries or the controller. Sigh.

Yep, thats the one. So after a couple more flights:
- once, I forgot to airplane-mode, went up, hovered about 30 seconds, disconnected. I looked down noticed my phone was not airplane mode so landed, power cycled everything, airplane mode on phone, then flew again. No problems or disconnections this time.
- today, remembered the mode, flew great but, as soon as I tired POI the connection (to the phone, controller still functional) died - reconnected almost straight away, but had forgotten POI mode. makes me think its an app issue perhaps there.

note: Im running dual SIMs, so maybe thats twice the radio output from my phone (plus wifi etc) - Im thinking maybe thats interfering with signals. So airplane mode seems to _help_ some, at this stage at least.

however, the power brick on my charging hub has now **** itself, and refuses to charge any batteries or the controller. Sigh.
I believe I read over on the Dji Forum that this has happened to several folks on the latest rev of the app. Not sure if it is both the DJI GO and the DJI GO 4 or just one of them.

Reactions: Jake
Yep, thats the one.

I was hoping for a little more information than a confirmation. How do you strap it to your MP? Pictures? Why a phone instead of just a GPS locator? Is it so you can call the phone to locate the ringing sound? What network is the phone on, and how much does that cost per month? Why did you pick that particular brand, and not just a used iPhone 4? Does it interfere with the ground cameras? Do you record video with the phone while you are flying? Any other reasons for using that particular phone is appreciated.

Ah! I see :) Sorry, I beleive I misspoke: I have the Oneplus3 connected to my controller, via the standard shortass little USB-C cable. Fits with case in, but I've mostly been using it without the case. Using that device as thats my daily driver phone - considering getting a device just to use for the controller, but if so will more likely choose something bigger than a phone ( a smallish tablet seems about ideal). My experience using the OP3: the screen can be difficult to see in direct (bright) sunlight, but if it's cranked to high you can mostly see what's going on. Since using it in aircraft mode (ie all the broadcsting radios for cellular (x2), wifi, bluetooth, NFC are off), I have not had any disconnections, other than when I try POI (I believe this is a software issue though, we'll see about that). I've found it easier not having the plug seated in the slot on the controller though, allowing the phone to poke out further on the left allowing me to use the home button/fingerprint sensor. I intend to try some of the POI type stuff using Litchi when I can get some batteries charged (my charging brick died - have to use the car charger), we'll see if that works. Side note, I normally wear a smartwatch - I'll try taking that out of the equation also.

jonwitte and Jcage: thanks for the responses!

I returned yesterday to the original location at which I first experienced problems, which is on the boundary of my neighborhood and nothing around but desert landscape, and sure enough, I had the exact same issues, but a bit less frequent this time. Earlier that day, I flew at an old airport for an extended period of time and experienced zero issues whatsoever.

It's interesting to note that both of you encountered the "battery error." I failed to mention this before, but I experienced this error also (repeatedly) both times I experienced the disconnect issues. That can't be a coincidence. It's also interesting that this problem seems to happen for all three of us at remote locations. That doesn't tell us much, but at least it more-or-less rules out the possibility of strong interference being the issue.

Another similarity is that we're all using Android phones, which is a probable suspect for the issue. I'd try a different phone, but my backup device is my Nexus 6P, which jonwitte is using.

I've triple checked that I've applied the latest firmware as of yesterday (and to all of my batteries).

Please continue to report on this issue here, and I'll do the same. Thanks guys!
I saw another thread which talked about a conflict if you have both DJI GO and GO4 loaded on your android. I had app and controller disconnect in flight this morning and I did a factory reset on my Samsung Galaxy s5 and reloaded just DJI GO and all ok now.

Nexus 6p, latest FW on everything, airplaine mode, all strong signals and I get disconnects also.

Really?.
This doesn't sound good.The main reason I got shot of my standard was for the exact scenario.
I thought ocusync was proven better than lightbridge.

Nothing is going to improve penetration through woods other than moving to a lower frequency. If they could move down into the 900 MHz bands with a small sacrifice in video b/w down (16 MHz?), then penetration would improve somewhat - range too, perhaps.

Hills, not so much.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929