DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is anyone else experiencing frequent disconnections?

And, more importantly, neither can DJI blame your device. I assume you're still experiencing issues, correct?

That's good that the Nexus 6P is listed. Maybe I'll try my 6P and see how that goes. Hopefully the Pixel appears on that list soon.
I haven't flown since Sunday, I believe the app was updated the day after. I connected everything tonight and it seemed fine. I'll probably be testing it out again this weekend. Too dark now to fly it after work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MavicPilots mobile app

Quick update.

I had a few disconnects (iPhone from controller) when changing some settings and taking photos/video (not flying) I did a DFU reset on my 6s and set it up as a new phone, as its a spare phone I only put DJI Go and Litchi on it. Not a single disconnect since. Previously I did a DFU reset but restored from backup and had a few disconnects. With my Galaxy s6 Edge and s7 Edge I have not had any disconnects at all so far. This was all prior to the latest update a few days ago but that does not mean they have not made it more stable anyway of course.

Reactions: scooot
Interesting, has anyone actually checked to see if there is or has been any solar disturbances?
Yes I do believe that whatever device we are using should be a dedicated one, with no other apps running while using it, I have drone deploy DJI go and autopilot besides Litchi, and I had prompts coming up while using DJI go that drone deploy wanted to use my geo placement, then auto pilot the same thing,,, which tells me that each are running silently even when not in use! Since I set everything to be completely shutdown unless running most of my issues went away, not completely but I've had no issues that seriously disturb my flying,,,??

Last edited:
I received my MAVIC yesterday. Updated firmware twice [APP 3.1.0] [Version 01.02.0900] [RC 01.02.0900]. I Flew around my office inside and out with no issues. Tested a few features and it was flawless.
Took it out this morning to fly at the beach....and that's where it all went wrong.
*First, connection errors. App wouldn't stay connected at all.
*Then, noticed Battery Error.
*Next RC Fail or no signal.
This repeated for a while but when the RC was connected it said GPS mode, Ready to Fly and looked normal but APP was disconnected.
Switched to Wifi and all looked good. Launched the drone and flew about 30 ft away and experienced poor signal which I have read happens so I wasn't concerned.
Turned it around to fly back and as it was coming down it went BERSERKER, spinning erratically and then stopped all of a sudden and just hovered. I pooped a little, landed it and got in my car and left.
Once I got back to my office I checked the firmware again, forced stopped the app and turned everything back on. It showed a compass error( for the first time) so I calibrated and everything was normal.I checked all of the sensors and they looked normal.
I launched it and it flew perfectly...for 2 minutes. All of a sudden Battery error, disconnect, then ascended and said return home and landed on its own.

WTF!

I have owned a few Phantoms and never had a single issue like this. Ive updated firmware, Ive read manuals, Ive flown for hours and hours but this is unnerving.

Crazy stuff! As you obviously know your stuff I will try not to insult you;

Did you calibrate the compass with the legs unfolded and well away from any concrete/metal objects including wearing a watch etc...
Have you checked the controller calibration to make sure all the numbers zero out. Probably worth calibrating it anyway but it sounds more like a compass issue to me. Also worth calibrating the IMU as well but make sure you chill the Mavic first.

Crazy stuff! As you obviously know your stuff I will try not to insult you;

Did you calibrate the compass with the legs unfolded and well away from any concrete/metal objects including wearing a watch etc...
Have you checked the controller calibration to make sure all the numbers zero out. Probably worth calibrating it anyway but it sounds more like a compass issue to me. Also worth calibrating the IMU as well but make sure you chill the Mavic first.
Yep, calibrated all but can't imagine a battery error or it disconnecting the app because of sensors but I'm not an engineer either. I can see it causing the erratic flight for sure.

Yep, calibrated all but can't imagine a battery error or it disconnecting the app because of sensors but I'm not an engineer either. I can see it causing the erratic flight for sure.

I sort of read through those comments, sorry. Had app disconnects only on my iPhone 6s (not any of my android phones) when close to my laptop and only before I did fresh DFU build with not other apps on it, not had one since. If there was a lot of interference at the beach I think that could explain all the errors, if the controller was not getting the correct info from the Mavic and the erratic flight because the Mavic was not receiving it.

I think there are likely several (similar) issues at play here. I've never had erratic flight characteristics, for example, but I do have lots of disconnects in remote areas (where interference is unlikely).

I flew in a new location today. The app crashed again, but no disconnects at all. I'm hopeful that DJI is aware of these issues and firmware/software fixes are in progress. I would like to fly my Mavic without fear of catastrophe.

I received my MAVIC yesterday. Updated firmware twice [APP 3.1.0] [Version 01.02.0900] [RC 01.02.0900]. I Flew around my office inside and out with no issues. Tested a few features and it was flawless.
Took it out this morning to fly at the beach....and that's where it all went wrong.
*First, connection errors. App wouldn't stay connected at all.
*Then, noticed Battery Error.
*Next RC Fail or no signal.
This repeated for a while but when the RC was connected it said GPS mode, Ready to Fly and looked normal but APP was disconnected.
Switched to Wifi and all looked good. Launched the drone and flew about 30 ft away and experienced poor signal which I have read happens so I wasn't concerned.
Turned it around to fly back and as it was coming down it went BERSERKER, spinning erratically and then stopped all of a sudden and just hovered. I pooped a little, landed it and got in my car and left.
Once I got back to my office I checked the firmware again, forced stopped the app and turned everything back on. It showed a compass error( for the first time) so I calibrated and everything was normal.I checked all of the sensors and they looked normal.
I launched it and it flew perfectly...for 2 minutes. All of a sudden Battery error, disconnect, then ascended and said return home and landed on its own.

WTF!

I have owned a few Phantoms and never had a single issue like this. Ive updated firmware, Ive read manuals, Ive flown for hours and hours but this is unnerving.

Same glitch disconnect behavior many here have experienced. I've been troubleshooting this for a few weeks now and currently have a support ticket into DJI to analyze a flight log from when mine did that crazy spinning thing last week. It's been a few days and haven't heard back yet but I share when/if I find out anything. In the meanwhile, I guess we all get to keep that sort of "is it gonna hit the fan?" feeling every time we fly our brand new supposedly infallible Mavic drones.

I had the camera from my drone disconnect twice yesterday, came up with the grey background and said lost camera connection, do you want to RTH? I still have complete control over the drone but was unable to see/record/take photos...
My Mavic only arrived in the mail the day before, I really hope I dont have to send it back!

Hi all. I wrote in this thread here - dont wanna double post too much.
but please help in testing - I have a few ideas.
Main ideas: go into airplane mode, have phone charged as much as possible, clear memory, end all other apps.
also check if you have the DJI go app update (3.1.0(7) - I got it on friday

Help with disconnects
thanks for your infos- so far I had no new disconnect.

Same glitch disconnect behavior many here have experienced. I've been troubleshooting this for a few weeks now and currently have a support ticket into DJI to analyze a flight log from when mine did that crazy spinning thing last week. It's been a few days and haven't heard back yet but I share when/if I find out anything. In the meanwhile, I guess we all get to keep that sort of "is it gonna hit the fan?" feeling every time we fly our brand new supposedly infallible Mavic drones.

It was the most erratic and uncontrollable situation I have experienced. After that I went through the settings front to back, calibrated the IMU and compass and uninstalled DJI GO. I reinstalled the app, I'm running (Android 6.0.1 on Samsung Note 5) and I've flown in 3 different locations around my area and its been flawless fights each time. The only thing that seems different than my P3P is it sits in "ATTI" mode for a long time on start up. Even with 7 or more Satellites it takes a while to switch to GPS mode. Other than that so far so good. I plan on returning to the scene of the meltdown to try and fly again, at that point maybe I can hope that something I did took care of it.

It was the most erratic and uncontrollable situation I have experienced. After that I went through the settings front to back, calibrated the IMU and compass and uninstalled DJI GO. I reinstalled the app, I'm running (Android 6.0.1 on Samsung Note 5) and I've flown in 3 different locations around my area and its been flawless fights each time. The only thing that seems different than my P3P is it sits in "ATTI" mode for a long time on start up. Even with 7 or more Satellites it takes a while to switch to GPS mode. Other than that so far so good. I plan on returning to the scene of the meltdown to try and fly again, at that point maybe I can hope that something I did took care of it.

Well.. apparently not fixed. Tried to fly today and same disconnect, battery error, esc error issues. I decided to remove my phone from the equation and use my tablet. I now have an ESC Error only but on start up says there is an IMU initialization or something and says cannot fly. I'm not sure they are related but this thing is going back.

I had the camera from my drone disconnect twice yesterday, came up with the grey background and said lost camera connection, do you want to RTH? I still have complete control over the drone but was unable to see/record/take photos...
My Mavic only arrived in the mail the day before, I really hope I dont have to send it back!

That happened to me on one of my three flights with my Note 5. Mine already went back because of focusing errors, but I think this particular problem is app-related rather than Mavic-related.

I have had the very same disconnect problem as Chris mentioned above. I spoke with DJI tech support yesterday and told to refresh the firmware thru Assistant2 which I did. This did not make any difference either. The only time I can get a semi clean flight is by re-calibrating IMU, stick controls and compass. The first flight after this everything seems okay but then I have a disconnect after a short time and the bird returns home without letting me cancel the RTH and no stick control. Not sure what to do next but this thing looks like a $1,000 mistake for a lot of us.

I have had the very same disconnect problem as Chris mentioned above. I spoke with DJI tech support yesterday and told to refresh the firmware thru Assistant2 which I did. This did not make any difference either. The only time I can get a semi clean flight is by re-calibrating IMU, stick controls and compass. The first flight after this everything seems okay but then I have a disconnect after a short time and the bird returns home without letting me cancel the RTH and no stick control. Not sure what to do next but this thing looks like a $1,000 mistake for a lot of us.
Same advice I had from DJI phone support (see earlier in the threat). Refresh firmware w/assistant, relink controller, recalibrate, blah blah blah. Thing is it 's nothing to do with any of that stuff and probably just some combo of the phone and drone and that's it. Problem is way too many variables to isolate given that each smartphone is going to have a gazillion unique environmental factors dependent on the device, the os, the apps running, the local, etc. etc. I sent my flight logs (supposedly they're automatically available to DJI everytime you sync w/app) almost two weeks ago escalated for review of glitch flight behavior and have had radio silence from them.

I miss my 3Dr Solo now. As a previous Solo user for a year, I would say the only things the Mavic has going for it so far in my book vs. Solo is form factor and flight time. I qualify with "so far" because I think the current Mavic drawbacks can be remedied with future development and firmware/software updates/enhancements. The Mavic size and flight time are obviously an advantage. However the stability issues cant be ignored. When so many people including myself are having frequent disconnect and abhorrent flight glitches on a drone that was marketed as infallible, that can't be excused.

My Solo, while certainly bigger than Mavic, with shorter flight times, was at least solid, dependable and super useful. Also I think I am safe in saying 3DR Solo smart shots beat anything DJI intelligent flight has going so far HANDS DOWN. OK, so the Mavic's visual tracking and gesture modes are a cute gimmick but the 3DR people really based their entire development efforts at flight macros that are super user friendly and very useful for capturing cinematic aerial sequences. Solo's Multipoint Cablecam and Zipline beats the pants off DJI's Waypoints because the setup is much easier and the functions record gimbal movement changes in addition to the flight settings. There is no need to gingerly thumb the gimbal wheel to pan through your Way points as with DJI because Solo does it all for you automatically, just fly to your cablepoint and point your camera where you want at each location. OH, and how about the benefit of moving forward and backward through your cable or repeating whereas DJI exits the Waypoint function when the route is complete. WTF? You have to go back into waypoints and recall it again to refly the route...Subpar. Similarly, Solo Orbits beat DJI POI in all the same ways as the cables, Panno and Zips. I even miss the Solo's Selfie function which was a clever way to sweep out to reveal the environment surrounding your subject. And while the Mavic cam is amazing for it's size.... you can't start to compare the capability of the DJI Mavic cam to a GoPro Hero4 black. Anyway, I bought Mavic because Solo was too awkward and cumbersome to take along wherever I went. I had to plan for Solo to be at a place whereas Mavic can just ride along without taking up the extra space so convenience wins but Come on DJI... Fix the glitghy stuff and take some cues from Solo on your smart shots. All this = my humble opinion.

Cheers

JC

Reactions: John Locke
Using the new DJI V4 App and this disconnect happened to me yesterday once in the three flights I had. Only about 50 meters (164 feet in old money) above me with my controller antennas pointing upwards towards it. Controller lost connection and screen went grey. The signal strength was 100% at all times before it went offline. After about 45 seconds the controller reconnected and told me a RTH was initiated. I am running the latest firmware and done all the usual calibrations on site as I've had a few issues with this before on the old V3 DJI Go app.

I'm on the DJI 4 app as well. Have never had a disconnect (unless I was too far and had too much interference). But today, I tried using POI. I was flying 150 feet, about 100' distance from the controller. Everything was working well. I set the POI, backed the MP away from the POI by about 100', and when I clicked "start" the screen went black and white, and said disconnected. About 30 seconds later, it returned, but was no longer in the POI mode. I tried it again, and the moment I hit start, it disconnected again. A third time, disconnected same exact spot. Twice is a coincidence... Three times is a pattern.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots