DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is anyone else experiencing frequent disconnections?

I had to specifically ask them about reviewing flight logs for troubleshooting before they offered to do it. I suspect we are corresponding with one level of support who perhaps know the first response things to try and then there is perhaps another level that analyses the more detailed app level data and works that into firmware fixes, etc. Maybe I'm wrong but the first thing the tech asked me was if I wanted an RMA battery when I reported battery error and I said no that wouldn't help because I get it with all three of my batteries. I think they also save money by saving time spent troubleshooting perhaps?

Anyway, I am really eager to hear if the remote re-linking works for you. I relinked mine but am not going to be able to test it for a few days.
JC
I think you are absolutely correct and thought the same earlier but did not want to dampen the mood as such. My logic is that if the controller does not disconnect then it cannot be down to that however as was mentioned there are lots of things that go on in there with various data streams so it may be correct and hopefully it will help! Those fingers are still crossed.

Any feedback on how the controller re-linking works? It appears I am grounded likely all weekend with lovely fall storm weather here.

Any feedback on how the controller re-linking works? It appears I am grounded likely all weekend with lovely fall storm weather here.
I'll answer myself. Had a break in the weather today. Relinked the remote, put the bird up and within 5 minutes had dropped connection (Greyscale frozen screen). This happened 2-3 times during 1 hour of flying with three different batteries. So, latest Android OS, Latest Mavic/Controller firmware, Remote relinked, compass IMU and everything else calibrated yet this signal loss still occurs.

Not sure if it's time to ask DJI for replacement because lots of others seem to be having the same issue on forums. I did notice that when I received it from FedEx that a corner of the shipping box was crumpled and this damage extended in to the actual retail box containing the Mavic, however the damage was limited to a side of the box that has a lot of space didn't appear to touch the Mavic itself. At the same time who knows how that happened, FedEx could've dropped it from shelf or while holding it/whatever?

Anyway, like I said my brother has a Mavic as well and has been out of town in California flying all week on IPhone7S with absolutely no problems. So Maybe I use his phone to fly mine and see what happens? Maybe I start new support ticket and ask them to analyze the actual flight logs this time? Maybe I ask for them to send me a whole new one?

Thoughts/advice? I don't like that my brand new $1,000 drone is unreliable when that's exactly what it's supposed to do best.

JC

I'll answer myself. Had a break in the weather today. Relinked the remote, put the bird up and within 5 minutes had dropped connection (Greyscale frozen screen). This happened 2-3 times during 1 hour of flying with three different batteries. So, latest Android OS, Latest Mavic/Controller firmware, Remote relinked, compass IMU and everything else calibrated yet this signal loss still occurs.

Not sure if it's time to ask DJI for replacement because lots of others seem to be having the same issue on forums. I did notice that when I received it from FedEx that a corner of the shipping box was crumpled and this damage extended in to the actual retail box containing the Mavic, however the damage was limited to a side of the box that has a lot of space didn't appear to touch the Mavic itself. At the same time who knows how that happened, FedEx could've dropped it from shelf or while holding it/whatever?

Anyway, like I said my brother has a Mavic as well and has been out of town in California flying all week on IPhone7S with absolutely no problems. So Maybe I use his phone to fly mine and see what happens? Maybe I start new support ticket and ask them to analyze the actual flight logs this time? Maybe I ask for them to send me a whole new one?

Thoughts/advice? I don't like that my brand new $1,000 drone is unreliable when that's exactly what it's supposed to do best.

JC

Not that is is any consolation but whilst playing with the camera (no flight) the same thing happened to me, grey screen etc. on my iPhone 6s yesterday. This is the first time it has happened to me but only had 2 flights and f/w updates but it still did happen. Based on this I do not think it is specific to your phone now but more of a general f/w issue. I did a complete wipe of the 6s last night via DFU and will try it again soon. Also have a Galaxy 6 Edge which has a clean build with only DJI Go on it. Will see what happens as soon as I am able to get it out to do some tests.

From your side as it happens more often maybe you could try to connect it with a different cable from the bottom port (remember to completely disconnect the side cable before powering on the controller) and if it the issue still happens. At least then maybe we could determine if it localised to the side port. (have not read back over the thread so apologies if you have tried this already). :)

JC
I've had a busy weekend and I've only been able to fly once since re-linking the RC, at a different location from where I've experienced connection problems. I didn't experience any issues, but that's hardly conclusive of any change. I hope to fly today if time allows; I'll report back later.

Upon telling DJI support that I'm using a device (Pixel) that isn't on their list, they won't offer any support or discuss that issue further. On the RC disconnect issue, they'll only advise to re-link the RC or RMA the unit. I agree that they're a very basic level of support; perhaps a more senior rep could offer more help, such as flight log analysis.

@Jcage to clarify, which disconnect issue(s) are you experiencing? Does your phone disconnect from the RC, or does your RC disconnect from your aircraft? The first indicates "Disconnected" at the top of the DJI GO app, and the second indicates "No Signal" at the top of the app.

Also, to answer your question, it's highly unlikely that DJI will offer any replacement until your unit is sent to them for diagnostic. It's a 1-2 week process in the very best case scenario (and I've heard awful stories regarding worst case), which is why I'm holding off for another firmware or app update, since that's the more likely fix for these issues. As for the box damage, mine was the same, as were many others. If yours was like mine, then I don't think it's a cause for concern; the corners of the Mavic box appear to bend easily.

I agree that trying another device (especially an iOS device) and/or another cable (especially using the bottom USB connector) would be great troubleshooting steps. Just remember how intermittent the problems seem to be (at least they are for me), so test extensively before concluding.

@djholt @Jcage I didn't get to see all these new posts until right now. I flew twice today, first time I used the standard setup with the usb built into the controller. After turning on both the rc and mav, neither of them would connect. occasionally the remote would connect but then immediately disconnect off and on. without my phone connected rc and mav connected fine and I was able to fly it around no problem. the second flight I experienced only app disconnects everything else seemed to be working. Once I saw the app disconnect I decided to land, didn't want anyting crazy to happen. after it landed, I swapped out the built in usb cable for a usb A to C cable. I plugged that into the usb port on the bottom. Had no app disconnects or remote disconnects at all. Since I only flew it once with the usb a to c cable it's hard to tell if that's a solid fix. either way I agree with @djholt updates need to be made to the app to make it more stable.

Aircraft and controller fully up to date.Nexus 6p got November security update tuesday, only change made to phone)

Another similarity is that we're all using Android phones, which is a probable suspect for the issue. I'd try a different phone, but my backup device is my Nexus 6P, which jonwitte is using.
It is my understanding that the phone is optional and the controller will fly the Mavic by itself. Is that true?

Correct, you can fly it with or without the phone connected to the controller.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MavicPilots mobile app
To be more specific, I believe you slide the switch in the MicroSD port area from "RC" to "Wifi" and then the phone can solely control the Mavic with the DJI go app without the Remote.

@Jcage to clarify, which disconnect issue(s) are you experiencing? Does your phone disconnect from the RC, or does your RC disconnect from your aircraft? The first indicates "Disconnected" at the top of the DJI GO app, and the second indicates "No Signal" at the top of the app.

I'm experiencing both types of disconnects. As for the replacement, I think there's a 15-day replacement policy for Mavic with defects or "not matching original description in one or more ways." Obviously intermittent disconnecting from the app and/or especially the controller mid-flight could be construed as either but not sure how they'll judge these issues. Either way, I don't think my particular unit is the problem based on what I'm reading here and in other forums. Even if they do replace it, I'd wait for weeks and decent chance the replacement would experience same issues. I still intend to get together with my brother and test mine using his iPhone7s but I see in Chippie's post above that iPhone is not immune from these disconnect issues either.

Ultimately, I think firmware development and/or the cable connection might be the eventual remedy.

Cheers

JC

I'm experiencing both types of disconnects. As for the replacement, I think there's a 15-day replacement policy for Mavic with defects or "not matching original description in one or more ways." Obviously intermittent disconnecting from the app and/or especially the controller mid-flight could be construed as either but not sure how they'll judge these issues. Either way, I don't think my particular unit is the problem based on what I'm reading here and in other forums. Even if they do replace it, I'd wait for weeks and decent chance the replacement would experience same issues. I still intend to get together with my brother and test mine using his iPhone7s but I see in Chippie's post above that iPhone is not immune from these disconnect issues either.

Ultimately, I think firmware development and/or the cable connection might be the eventual remedy.

Cheers

JC
Yes, I feel the same way. I flew again last night and had no problems. I'm hoping the re-linking did something to help, but time will tell. I still haven't experienced any phone/RC disconnections since upgrading the firmware, but, again, I need to fly a lot more to be certain. I hope to this week.

To be more specific, I believe you slide the switch in the MicroSD port area from "RC" to "Wifi" and then the phone can solely control the Mavic with the DJI go app without the Remote.
This is also possible, but what jonwitte said is still true. You can fly with just a phone, or just the RC, or both together. But at this point I'd be terrified to fly with just my phone; it's bad enough how it is now.

But at this point I'd be terrified to fly with just my phone; it's bad enough how it is now.
Me too. And that's the whole lament here, we shouldn't really be terrified of flying our new $1,000 "infallible" super smart drones using any function that they were designed to execute. Should we?

JC

Me too. And that's the whole lament here, we shouldn't really be terrified of flying our new $1,000 "infallible" super smart drones using any function that they were designed to execute. Should we?

JC
Ah, the life of us early adopters. Come January on when most people get their hands on a Mavic, everything will be way less worrisome.

JC
DJI ticket escalated. They are now reviewing my flight log data r/e the disconnects. I'll share when/if I know more.

FYI: an update to the Android DJI GO app was released today (version 3.1.0). Maybe it fixes something.

I flew again today at my typical problematic location. The RC disconnected from the Mavic twice. The second time, the DJI GO app crashed completely at the exact same time. Both times I power cycled the RC to regain connection.

FYI: an update to the Android DJI GO app was released today (version 3.1.0). Maybe it fixes something.
On DJI's website they now have the Nexus 6P as a supported device. I didn't notice if it was listed with the older version of the App. I would think the Pixel would be getting support soon since its Google's version of the iPhone. Guess I can't blame app crashes and disconnects on my phone anymore.

On DJI's website they now have the Nexus 6P as a supported device. I didn't notice if it was listed with the older version of the App. I would think the Pixel would be getting support soon since its Google's version of the iPhone. Guess I can't blame app crashes and disconnects on my phone anymore.

And, more importantly, neither can DJI blame your device. I assume you're still experiencing issues, correct?

That's good that the Nexus 6P is listed. Maybe I'll try my 6P and see how that goes. Hopefully the Pixel appears on that list soon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore