DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is anyone else experiencing frequent disconnections?

I definitely can relate to the scare and reluctance of flying until the problem is understood. Not having control of the aircraft at any surprise moment isn't a comfortable feeling, let alone the safety concern.

You mentioned that you recently updated your Android device; could you let us know what Android version your phone is now running, in case that becomes relevant?

6.0.1 Android OS. Tested again today after manual firmware update yesterday and reliability/performance seems greatly improved. I did not experience any erratic flight or spinning like yesterday and everything seemed working OK. I did do another compass calibration before takeoff just for kicks. Thought everything was going to end well but one small glitch... Battery down to 30% took it in for landing and phone screen went greyscale with "lost connection" message. RC sticks and buttons were still functional so landing was uneventful but lost connection issue persists even with latest Nov.9 firmware for me. Arghh, why can't a brand new $1,000 toy just work as well as the YouTubers say (oh, forgot one of them lost their Mavic to a flyaway already).

Cheers, JC

6.0.1 Android OS. Tested again today after manual firmware update yesterday and reliability/performance seems greatly improved. I did not experience any erratic flight or spinning like yesterday and everything seemed working OK. I did do another compass calibration before takeoff just for kicks. Thought everything was going to end well but one small glitch... Battery down to 30% took it in for landing and phone screen went greyscale with "lost connection" message. RC sticks and buttons were still functional so landing was uneventful but lost connection issue persists even with latest Nov.9 firmware for me. Arghh, why can't a brand new $1,000 toy just work as well as the YouTubers say (oh, forgot one of them lost their Mavic to a flyaway already).

Cheers, JC
Seems like they are making some progress... At least the RC sticks didn't lose function and the flight wasn't erratic or spinning.

Seems like they are making some progress... At least the RC sticks didn't lose function and the flight wasn't erratic or spinning.
Yeah but the signal dropout thing is still concerning. Video feed on phone screen just goes greyscale and nothing on the phone works at that point. That needs to be fixed too. I kinda thought it might be the fact that my phone is a thicker device and tough to seat in the controller arms thus not letting the miniHDMI plug completely plug into phone port. But taking that plug out of the controller and plugging it straight into the phone port leaves the same amount of the metal HDMI plug showing when I push it all the way in so that doesn't appear to be the problem. OH well, just keep my fingers crossed that DJI fixes everything with updates and nothing bad happens in the meanwhile.

Cheers JC

Bummer! Sounds like a compatibility issue. Is your device on the "Supported" list? I would raise a ticket with DJI to see if they can help. :)

Bummer! Sounds like a compatibility issue. Is your device on the "Supported" list? I would raise a ticket with DJI to see if they can help. :)
Not to be lazy, but do you happen to have link to the "supported list."?

Some cell phones crank up their output power when further away from a tower. Maybe INCREASED RF from your phone is causing a problem. Try flying line-of-sight without the phone to see if the problem goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I don't think the problem here is with the connection to the bird, you would get an error on the controller then. It is an issue with the phone <> controller speaking to each other. As mentioned the controller remained in control of the Mavic.

I don't think the problem here is with the connection to the bird, you would get an error on the controller then. It is an issue with the phone <> controller speaking to each other. As mentioned the controller remained in control of the Mavic.

DJI support recommends I relink the controller to the bird in order to address this... process here

Although I agree with you that in this particular case today, the controller maintained control with the bird but the controller also passes video feed from birds to phone and communicates commands from the app through the controller to bird and back with status, etc so seems more dynamic than just the stick controls.

Last edited:
Having a quick look all I could find was the 'Recommend' devices, I thought I saw a supported devices but perhaps it was the same thing;

About a quater of the way down the page;

Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Here is the latest list from DJI Support (althought not the latest version of the app)...

IOS Version v2.8.1.

Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus,iPod touch 6,iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.

Android Version v2.8.1.

Requires Android 4.1.2 or later.Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.

*Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues.

DJI support recommends I relink the controller to the bird in order to address this...

Although I agree with you that in this particular case today, the controller maintained control with the bird but the controller also passes video feed from birds to phone and communicates commands from the app through the controller to bird and back with status, etc so seems more dynamic than just the stick controls.

OK cool, well I hope that works for you. Fingers crossed :)

Yeah but the signal dropout thing is still concerning. Video feed on phone screen just goes greyscale and nothing on the phone works at that point. That needs to be fixed too. I kinda thought it might be the fact that my phone is a thicker device and tough to seat in the controller arms thus not letting the miniHDMI plug completely plug into phone port. But taking that plug out of the controller and plugging it straight into the phone port leaves the same amount of the metal HDMI plug showing when I push it all the way in so that doesn't appear to be the problem. OH well, just keep my fingers crossed that DJI fixes everything with updates and nothing bad happens in the meanwhile.

Cheers JC
I assume you don't mean HDMI but USB actually? Just checking.

I updated to the latest firmware last night (v01.02.0900) and tried flying again today, in the same (remote) place that I've been having issues. This time, I didn't notice my phone disconnect from the RC, but the RC did disconnect from the aircraft, and the Mavic returned home. I had to restart the RC in order to regain connection and prevent the auto-landing. It only happened once today. As always, I was in direct line-of-sight.

To be clear, I've noticed two distinct (but possibly related) problems, in all:

1) RC disconnects from phone (sticks still responsive, app shows "disconnected").
2) RC disconnects from aircraft (RTH engages, sticks do not respond, app shows "no signal").

I wish I could know if these two problems are related or not. I still see a "battery error" from time to time on my phone, but I don't know if it's related or significant.

I'll try relinking the RC as suggested above; at this point I'll try anything that might help.

I updated to the latest firmware last night (v01.02.0900) and tried flying again today, in the same (remote) place that I've been having issues. This time, I didn't notice my phone disconnect from the RC, but the RC did disconnect from the aircraft, and the Mavic returned home. I had to restart the RC in order to regain connection and prevent the auto-landing. It only happened once today. As always, I was in direct line-of-sight.

To be clear, I've noticed two distinct (but possibly related) problems, in all:

1) RC disconnects from phone (sticks still responsive, app shows "disconnected").
2) RC disconnects from aircraft (RTH engages, sticks do not respond, app shows "no signal").

I wish I could know if these two problems are related or not. I still see a "battery error" from time to time on my phone, but I don't know if it's related or significant.

I'll try relinking the RC as suggested above; at this point I'll try anything that might help.

These issues are still not good, maybe you could raise a ticket with them and pass your logs along so they can bottom it out. Whilst worrying at least it did RTH rather than being unresponsive and yawing all over the place as others have experiencd. This is the main concern I have with it but as yet not managed to take mine out :-(

These issues are still not good, maybe you could raise a ticket with them and pass your logs along so they can bottom it out. Whilst worrying at least it did RTH rather than being unresponsive and yawing all over the place as others have experiencd. This is the main concern I have with it but as yet not managed to take mine out :-(
Yeah, I've not experienced the yawing issues (yet).

I hate to ask what might seem like an obvious question, but I want to know that I'm following the best path. What is the best way to file a support ticket with DJI? I know their support can be horrible, so I just want to take the most direct route. Also, what is the best way to capture/send the flight logs?

Yeah, I've not experienced the yawing issues (yet).

I hate to ask what might seem like an obvious question, but I want to know that I'm following the best path. What is the best way to file a support ticket with DJI? I know their support can be horrible, so I just want to take the most direct route. Also, what is the best way to capture/send the flight logs?
I quickly contacted DJI support. Their advice was to try relinking the RC, which I will do. The next suggested step was RMA, with no option to open a ticket, send logs, etc. Hm.

I quickly contacted DJI support. Their advice was to try relinking the RC, which I will do. The next suggested step was RMA, with no option to open a ticket, send logs, etc. Hm.
That is very strange for a disconnect issue. Well for the first issue of the phone just disconnecting. Hopefully the re-linking may resolved the RC to Mavic disconnect issue and you may be ok. For just the phone disconnecting I would have thought they would open a ticket in case it was specific to the device in question. Best of luck with it!!!

That is very strange for a disconnect issue. Well for the first issue of the phone just disconnecting. Hopefully the re-linking may resolved the RC to Mavic disconnect issue and you may be ok. For just the phone disconnecting I would have thought they would open a ticket in case it was specific to the device in question. Best of luck with it!!!

I had to specifically ask them about reviewing flight logs for troubleshooting before they offered to do it. I suspect we are corresponding with one level of support who perhaps know the first response things to try and then there is perhaps another level that analyses the more detailed app level data and works that into firmware fixes, etc. Maybe I'm wrong but the first thing the tech asked me was if I wanted an RMA battery when I reported battery error and I said no that wouldn't help because I get it with all three of my batteries. I think they also save money by saving time spent troubleshooting perhaps?

Anyway, I am really eager to hear if the remote re-linking works for you. I relinked mine but am not going to be able to test it for a few days.
JC

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato