DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is bad that I’m little mad?

I fill out of VLOS all the time. It’s fine.

Just because a rule exists doesn’t mean you need to follow it. Just because you’re not following a rule doesn’t mean you’re being reckless.

Reactions: conchman
You monster! ;)

But seriously, I feel like VLOS is a weird thing. One, it's a different distance for different people depending on the size of the drone they have and how good their eyesight is. Two, you can have the drone at a distance where you can see it, but then look down at your screen and back up and it's lost. And you can't realistically keep your eyes on the drone the entire time. Sometimes you need to look at the screen. As a rule (guideline, regulation, whatever), VLOS just seems like jaywalking or going a couple miles over the limit. People ignore it because it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I would imagine most drone pilots don't follow it all the time, but still fly safely. Whenever I fly for distance, it's always over water, forest, farmland, etc. Now I know some people are going to disagree with me, but I'll echo what I heard someone else here say once. Legal isn't always safe and safe isn't always legal.

Well, that's just my two cents on VLOS.
we are are always in vlos,who can dispute what one can see,a eagle can see newspaper print 10 miles,so can i.;)
and if an official questions if its within los,just keep insisting you can all the while pushing rth,eventually he will agree you can see it.:)

Serious? What constitutes a “serious drone flyer” vs a non-serious one?
Just askin’

basically the National Trust told me when I was working at one of their sites, The reason why they don’t like drones it’s because people who aren’t into this serious Pilots are the ones that cause all the damages. They lost out on one expensive stained-glass window due to someone on the 10th flight lost it in the wind.

I’m not trying to pick a fight the Rookies.

It’s all about knowing your limits and skill.

basically the National Trust told me when I was working at one of their sites, The reason why they don’t like drones it’s because people who aren’t into this serious Pilots are the ones that cause all the damages. They lost out on one expensive stained-glass window due to someone on the 10th flight lost it in the wind.

I’m not trying to pick a fight the Rookies.

It’s all about knowing your limits and skill.
And keeping collision avoidance on! At least until your like 100hrs deep and pro style lol

Most people are not reckless even if not following the "rules" this thing cost way too much money. If I destroy it being dumb my wife will kill me!

Is it bad that you’re a “little” mad? Since you asked, yes it is. What’s it to you?

.....Just my my 2¢

I guess if you don't care about anyone else and refuse to be part of a society.
Basically the other day I saw a man flying what I think was a Mavic air or Mavic pro. Not following the simple rules and regulations.

I only knew he was flying a drone due to me tuning into the controllers noise for return to home. The man hadn’t a clue where his drone was, I couldn’t see it.

No, you should be a little angry and you should call authorities. if for no other reasons then to help show that the drone community is as interested in safety as the rest of the public and can self police. This is the path to less regulation and scrutiny.

- You are a member of a society. A collection of individuals living together under a common set of rules for the betterment of all. If there's a jerk who could care less how their actions impact others or worse, are too lazy and irresponsible to educate themselves, then its time to educate them in the consequences of that kind of behavior. With any luck they'll find the incentive to be responsible, otherwise they'll simply be removed the hard way. Either way the drone community and the general public are the better for it.

- Anyone who is blissfully ignorant or in total disregard of others can't see a problem and thus aren't mad. Too often these are educated people who are simply thumbing their nose at everyone around them and making everyone elses life more difficult in the process. Its like a 2 year old who simply doesn't know enough to find bad actions offensive. Your educated and responsible. You have an understanding your impact on others and you care. Having a brain and being considerate and responsible does have its drawbacks but at least your not adding to the stupidity.

- It affects you, Mavic, the general public and every drone pilot out there. No one has this debate about flying kites or remote control planes because most people aren't stupid enough to go flying those things next to passenger aircraft and risking hundreds of lives so they could show off a stupid video, which seems common place these days. These are the kinds of stupid and irresponsible behaviors that have put every drone under the microscope and caused a need for all of these restrictive rules. So is it any wonder that an educated and responsible adult would be frustrated to find yet another moron who is contributing to making life hard for everyone? Nope, that's expected.

What's it to you? Nothing if you don't ever want to fly a drone. But if you want to fly a drone and have paid mass amounts of $$$ to do it, then it matters to everyone.

Reactions: Ol’ Gzr and M3d4r
I guess you would be a lot mad at me.
I've been flying the MP since it was first released and it's only within my VLOS about 25% of the time. I've never lost track of it.
(Except once when my wife hid it ; she was mad at me.)

I also drive about 5 mph over the posted speed limit on the freeway most of the time.

Ha! I fly the exact same way. Why produce a drone with an advertised 4 mile range if we're supposed to keep in within VLOS?

Reactions: Fedexultra
I guess if you don't care about anyone else and refuse to be part of a society.

No, you should be a little angry and you should call authorities. if for no other reasons then to help show that the drone community is as interested in safety as the rest of the public and can self police. This is the path to less regulation and scrutiny.

- You are a member of a society. A collection of individuals living together under a common set of rules for the betterment of all. If there's a jerk who could care less how their actions impact others or worse, are too lazy and irresponsible to educate themselves, then its time to educate them in the consequences of that kind of behavior. With any luck they'll find the incentive to be responsible, otherwise they'll simply be removed the hard way. Either way the drone community and the general public are the better for it.

- Anyone who is blissfully ignorant or in total disregard of others can't see a problem and thus aren't mad. Too often these are educated people who are simply thumbing their nose at everyone around them and making everyone elses life more difficult in the process. Its like a 2 year old who simply doesn't know enough to find bad actions offensive. Your educated and responsible. You have an understanding your impact on others and you care. Having a brain and being considerate and responsible does have its drawbacks but at least your not adding to the stupidity.

- It affects you, Mavic, the general public and every drone pilot out there. No one has this debate about flying kites or remote control planes because most people aren't stupid enough to go flying those things next to passenger aircraft and risking hundreds of lives so they could show off a stupid video, which seems common place these days. These are the kinds of stupid and irresponsible behaviors that have put every drone under the microscope and caused a need for all of these restrictive rules. So is it any wonder that an educated and responsible adult would be frustrated to find yet another moron who is contributing to making life hard for everyone? Nope, that's expected.

What's it to you? Nothing if you don't ever want to fly a drone. But if you want to fly a drone and have paid mass amounts of $$$ to do it, then it matters to everyone.

Fun police alert !

I fill out of VLOS all the time. It’s fine.

Just because a rule exists doesn’t mean you need to follow it. Just because you’re not following a rule doesn’t mean you’re being reckless.
Uhhhhh right. So basically your saying it's fine to ignore the speed limit. It's fine to fly in a NFZ ect. This mentality is what's causing the bad publicity and stricter regulations. Because you think your entitled to ignore the rules.

Reactions: WParm and Ol’ Gzr
Uhhhhh right. So basically your saying it's fine to ignore the speed limit. It's fine to fly in a NFZ ect. This mentality is what's causing the bad publicity and stricter regulations. Because you think your entitled to ignore the rules.
I don't think it's irresponsible if your VLOS while away from people and somewhere kinda isolated. The Mavic is literally the size of my hand folded up and at 1100ft away if I sneeze I could lose it. While I've never flown 4 miles away(due to personal fear) there is definitely a difference between flying out of VLOS and irresponsible flying IMHO.

Oh and I too regularly drive 5 miles over the speed limit too [emoji41]

Rules, rules and more rules. As someone who enjoys photography, this platform is the natural progression. We are talking about "perspective" at an exciting level. OMG! Incredible. The rules six years ago were very conducive to the videography hobby. That has all changed.

Where once a person could assume a park is a great place to see natural beauty and open spaces. It is a "forbidden domain" in many cases. Where taking a backyard photo 10' off the ground would pose no violation, you are a serious FAA criminal once that drone lifts off the ground.

Zooming over lakes and 1/2 way up a mountain is taboo. VLOS and LOS are legal terms that kill visually interesting opportunities. Ever try to capture an iceberg floating by 1.5 miles off the coast? It looks real close because it's HUGE! Nope, probably can't see that drone once it exceeds about 150 yards. LOS is good but VLOS is just plain stupid in this circumstance. Too bad, you're a criminal now.

All this to say, it has made this hobby extremely difficult and makes me consistently question the legality of my endeavors (filming waterfalls, icebergs, beaches, cliffs, fall colors). I've come up with my top 10, best solutions to maintain this difficult enthusiast hobby despite the impossible rules.

1) Avoid people
2) Arrive so early that nobody is in your planned visual usage area (4-6 AM)
3) Avoid people
4) Use a map service like "airmap" to determine your airport/helicopter restricted areas
5) Avoid people
6) Plan your trip before you go using a satellite map view of the area to determine access restrictions (residential land, buildings, dense forest, swamp).
7) Avoid people
8) Survey the area (use maps, terrain, eyeballs) to assure safe clearance over towers, power lines, trees, hills.
9) Avoid people
10) Enjoy your flight and leave plenty of battery power for your return trip (consider winds at high levels or you will regret it...if possible, go against the wind at the start)

If you successfully "avoided people", you will find that your life is so much brighter and your footage is awesome. Drone on my friends.

On the subject of flying BVLOS; In the event of a 'worst case' in-flight scenario causing the death or injury of another person, will you be able to adequately defend your actions in a deposition with the plaintiffs attorney? See you in court.
Will your insurance cover you?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54