DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is bad that I’m little mad?

If/when my drone comes down even within VLOS the chances of finding it from sight are negligible. You cant judge exact distance, angle and impact point unless VERY close. Add to the fact the mavic is so light its likely to get stuck in a tree canopy or even lost in long grass.
Im fairly sure if mine comes down even within 100-200m away i'll struggle to find it.

Drones! Ban them or integrate them? Personally, I would prefer we embrace our technological innovation and figure out how to incorporate this fabulous photographic tool into our society.

Debating rule violation is obviously unproductive and resolves nothing but making everyone angry. I am guilty of sarcasm wrapped in a dose of frustration but generally speaking, nobody wants to cause death or injury to another human being with their consumer drone. They just want to see their world from a new perspective and capture the images for posterity.

Does anyone have constructive solutions? Are companies working to resolve the seemingly impossible set of rules that seem to dissuade drone usage? I am frustrated because it always turns into an uncooperative mandate that proclaims the drone user is the problem.

What about using the "application" to correlate real-time data about the drones area of operation (altitude, latitude, longitude). If the application is live/online, the drone can proceed pending airspace rules are followed. If the online application is operating "offline" a set of rules can be implemented to restrict the height, distance, etc. based on GPS location. The data could be locally observed and communication taking place. Again, not for nefarious or prosecutorial purposes but for situational awareness for the safety of people and aircraft.

One and only one quick example of "ridiculous rule syndrome" Is it realistic to expect an aircraft to fly in my backyard below tree level? No matter your answer, it's illegal for me to fly my drone one inch off the ground in my backyard. No shots over the pool, no roof inspection. Seriously, any commercial or private plane is NOT going to fly below tree and powerline level or it will crash. Yup, someone out there will certainly cite an example of how aircraft land on their roof daily (i.e. helicopter) but I am talking typical residential neighborhood.

Rather than telling everyone how they will be made to pay a fine, must get a license, lose their equipment, might end up killing someone...why not be helpful and attempt to find solutions rather than punishment? I put one "idea" out there. For just a moment, lose yourself in the idea that people are not inherently evil and they may simply want to take a picture or a short video without killing anyone. They would like to do this without violating the rules, while at the same time not end up being subjected to fear and hate of new technology or being denied usage in every single spot of visual interest.

Integrating them isn't that hard (low range recreational ones). There are no impossible sets of rules to dissuade use (in most countries at least). Most have sensible sets of rules to allow them to share airspace with far larger manned aircraft. The main problem is people don't follow the rules.

Seriously, any commercial or private plane is NOT going to fly below tree and powerline level or it will crash.

Or more realistically by allowing flight at all people will go "a bit" above their roof. Then it worked so they'll go "a bit more" above their roof and so on. Eventually it'll be "I'll pop up to 200/400/600/800ft quickly to take a photo, theres nothing coming, it'll be fine". Again comes down to people not being trusted to adhere to the rules.
Or alternatively the drone itself malfunctions which can happen causing it to deviate horizontally or vertically higher or nearer to an actual hazard. You can't always assume drones will work perfectly - especially off the shelf drones without aerospace levels of inspection, servicing and construction.

..why not be helpful and attempt to find solutions

Well the rules are fine, the problem is non compliance. So a simple solution is to have enough of a deterrent effect in place to make people comply and a robust, effective procedure for reporting people who don't. That way the fairly lax rules dont get tightened and tightened.

People aren't inherently evil but it seems drone wise a lot are inherently either stupid OR just dont care. A quick look on here, the DJI forum, youtube and so on find plenty of people violating plenty of rules, often in ways that defy any risk assessment.
The technology is amazing and thats part of the problem - anyone can buy and use a drone. The technology exists to robustly enforce most of the laws inside the drone but then people moan about having their product restricted. So a human solution is needed.

I think you may have made my point for me. When you presume of the drone user being:

"irresponsible, lying/distrustful, moaning about restrictions, violators". Following up those assumptions with authoritative words such as "...there are no rules to dissuade use..., The main problem is people don't follow the rules, allowing flight..., people not being trusted to adhere to rules, rules are fine, the problem is non compliance, have enough of a deterrent to make people comply, report people who don't, drone wise a lot are inherently either stupid OR just don't care...".

While someone will always prove the negative view correct. I would prefer not being punished by others irresponsible actions. I believe the actual lawbreaker should be held accountable and not the other 99%. That is why I invited "constructive" solutions. I find being helpful and encouraging usually garners positive solutions rather assuming I must punish, deter and force compliance based on a presumption that everyone is up to no good. I sort of look at it like this:

Negative: You can't fly your drones in National Parks vs. Positive: You may fly your drone in the National Park in the following area, on this day, between the hours of XYZ (sharing resources)
Negative: You may not fly your drone in restricted airspace vs. Positive: You may only fly your drone in this area if remaining below 20 feet.

I could go on but the point is...all above conditions can be placed in an algorithm. They are enforceable by the application. They require very little effort to understand. Gee! my drone won't go above 20 feet. I wonder why? Cool, I can fly my drone in this park on this day. Darn, my drone won't let me fly here on this day...wonder why? The answers are right there in the big warning message you click on. It does not require me to make assumptions about someone's intellect or the need to punish them for ignorance. In other words, I won't need to feel my life is in danger as my plane lifts off over the friendly skies. I won't be looking over my shoulder wondering if someone is going to write me a ticket and take my drone. I can actually be in compliance as the default. I wont have the FAA hating on me.

Reactions: Snapthis
Authorities in organised communities, make rules and regulations for every human invention (and not only).

Reasons for regulating are preventing citizens security, economical reasons, military purposes etc.

Usually there are no stricter regulations because of people not obeying the rules. It is a myth.

Regulations made by authorities, are strict from the begining, and usually become less strict, as time progresses, and there is pressure for more logical restrictions.

The main reason for strict rules, is technology. Authorities don't trust companies and the software they make, until there is enough proof.

Another reason is, companies. They want airspace for commercial use, and every flying obstacle is their target.

The only thing that makes people obeying the rules is fear. Fear for fines or jail etc.

Also, no one will obey a non logical rule. For example, are you all fly, without taking your eyes off your drone? And what about all the info on the screen? What about the warnings, the settings and the photo and video frame? What about waypoints? If you want to inspect your roof, are you continuously in vlos?

Anyway rules are rules, and will not be stricter because someone flew above limits. Police is responsible for him. Drone community must fight for LOGICAL rules, because many of them are ridiculous.

If you can't see it, you don't have VLOS. :)
It blows my mind how many people who fly/own drones either don’t get this or don’t care. I get a kick out of the ones who say I had VLOS at 1800’ out lol. Maybe my eyes are bad but I’d love to see my MA at 1800’.

Reactions: Ol’ Gzr
I guess if you don't care about anyone else and refuse to be part of a society.

No, you should be a little angry and you should call authorities. if for no other reasons then to help show that the drone community is as interested in safety as the rest of the public and can self police. This is the path to less regulation and scrutiny..
Do you realise how many reports authorities are getting?
95% of these from Facebook and forum users who like to play sheriff, people who see pics on Instagram and YouTube who feel the need to report everything without knowing the facts.

Don’t get me wrong, but the resources used to investigate all of these reports that have no evidence to back up report or not enough information about the violation for enforcement, are crazy.

If someone is operating dangerously, they certainly need to be dealt with, but the real reports are being lost in reports such as
‘A drone is looking in my window”
‘A drone took a photo of a whale”
‘A drone is flying BVLOS”
A friend of mine is on $120k a year and most of his time is spent following up on crap.

So to report everything that has nothing to do with you to authorities is NOT the path to less regulation. It is bogging down resources, and just pissing aviation authorities off to the point where it would just be easier to ban.

Keep your reporting to outright dangerous acts with clear evidence that can actually be acted upon

Reactions: Snapthis
This thread could have ended ages ago if people would just do the decent thing... Go talk to this person... Face to face

Not to scold, but it inquire about if he knew what was up etc. The problem is people lately are too busy being right, they Havnt taken the time to just deal with other people politely..

In any situation if something is bothering you /offends you then say something . That person also has the right to refuse you but generally if your not being a **** about it people are pretty understanding and will adjust their behaviour

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580