DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is bad that I’m little mad?

1) Avoid people
2) Arrive so early that nobody is in your planned visual usage area (4-6 AM)
3) Avoid people
4) Use a map service like "airmap" to determine your airport/helicopter restricted areas
5) Avoid people
6) Plan your trip before you go using a satellite map view of the area to determine access restrictions (residential land, buildings, dense forest, swamp).
7) Avoid people
8) Survey the area (use maps, terrain, eyeballs) to assure safe clearance over towers, power lines, trees, hills.
9) Avoid people
10) Enjoy your flight and leave plenty of battery power for your return trip (consider winds at high levels or you will regret it...if possible, go against the wind at the start)

So, basically what you're saying is to avoid people, right? ;)

Reactions: Fedexultra
The man hadn’t a clue where his drone was, I couldn’t see it.
I always fly with a strobe, day or night, that is blindingly bright. Personally, I have never flown beyond a mile, but am confident that I could see this strobe at 2 miles. That said it is very easy to lose VLOS when glancing at the screen after looking back. I am sure that everyone has experienced this. Thanks to the strobe and the map I can always find it in the sky with some calm effort even though I don’t have eagle vision. I let it hover when I lose VLOS. This may technically be a violation, but it certainly isn’t unsafe.

That said, I find it impossible to capture the best videos when flying this way. One has to see what one is imaging to do this right. It is simply impossible to purposely film a scene while keeping VLOS without a second observer. I’m sure that few people do this routinely.

Basically the other day I saw a man flying what I think was a Mavic air or Mavic pro. Not following the simple rules and regulations.

I only knew he was flying a drone due to me tuning into the controllers noise for return to home. The man hadn’t a clue where his drone was, I couldn’t see it.

Basically you need to MYOB.

I always fly with a strobe, day or night, that is blindingly bright. Personally, I have never flown beyond a mile, but am confident that I could see this strobe at 2 miles. That said it is very easy to lose VLOS when glancing at the screen after looking back. I am sure that everyone has experienced this. Thanks to the strobe and the map I can always find it in the sky with some calm effort even though I don’t have eagle vision. I let it hover when I lose VLOS. This may technically be a violation, but it certainly isn’t unsafe.

That said, I find it impossible to capture the best videos when flying this way. One has to see what one is imaging to do this right. It is simply impossible to purposely film a scene while keeping VLOS without a second observer. I’m sure that few people do this routinely.
I'd like to know more about those strobes. Sounds like you like them, but is there any thing you don't like about them? I'm in the market for some. Thanks!

Reactions: Underdog1964
At the recommendation of someone else on this forum I purchased the Firehouse strobe. It doesn't look like more than a project PWB with a miniUSB connector, but it works amazingly well and is worth more than some less expensive options. I easily charge this up when I recharge my controller. There are multiple strobe modes selectable and it weighs little more than the piece of Velcro that I use to attach it to the starboard rear landing strut. I attached it facing outboard and still see it from the rear or the side. It is so bright that when next to it you won't want to stare directly at the strobe. If I lose track of my MA I hover then initiate a continuous yaw until I can spot the strobe, knowing immediately the position and orientation of the drone even without looking at the controller. This has come in handy on 2 occasions when I had a video freeze to locate the drone and visually fly it home.

https://amzn.to/2mfJr4B

Reactions: Ol’ Gzr
Where I love to fly there are over 3 miles of river, open fields and trees. No humans or animals around. I usually go beyond of VLOS, because that's why I have a mavic pro. If I want to fly within VLOS, I would have kept the phantom 3 standard.
I believe the part about no people, but no animals...I ain't buying it, where do you fly, at a nuclear waste site!

Enjoy your free and fun flights. Working with the FAA has given me the opportunity to see what is on the horizon with Drone regulations. We already have a written test, up coming in a year or two a flight test, soon after you might need your license to buy your drone, either online, or in a store, your license will be tied to the purchase of that drone and its serial number. Do bad stuff, face a fine or jail, or having the FAA get a court order to have the manufacture brick your drone. Don't think that its coming? 3 years ago, no one thought there would ever be an FAA License, 6 years ago DJI didn't exist. On a side note, the easiest way to loose $800 bucks is to fly your drone where you can't see it. Don't believe me, just check out lost drone videos on YouTube. A second side note, most professionals don't fly a drone so far away they can not see it. They need to see the drone in the air and reference that position with the monitor to take professional video or photos, unless of course you are doing a pre-porgammed mapping course. Of course I am referring to professionals and that really does not pertain to this thread.

Enjoy your free and fun flights. Working with the FAA has given me the opportunity to see what is on the horizon with Drone regulations. We already have a written test, up coming in a year or two a flight test, soon after you might need your license to buy your drone, either online, or in a store, your license will be tied to the purchase of that drone and its serial number. Do bad stuff, face a fine or jail, or having the FAA get a court order to have the manufacture brick your drone. Don't think that its coming? 3 years ago, no one thought there would ever be an FAA License, 6 years ago DJI didn't exist. On a side note, the easiest way to loose $800 bucks is to fly your drone where you can't see it. Don't believe me, just check out lost drone videos on YouTube. A second side note, most professionals don't fly a drone so far away they can not see it. They need to see the drone in the air and reference that position with the monitor to take professional video or photos, unless of course you are doing a pre-porgammed mapping course. Of course I am referring to professionals and that really does not pertain to this thread.

Not unexpected. You have to have a license to drive, fly a plane etc.
Break the rules there ad get a ticket / fine... if you're lucky.

Considering that drones share airspace with manned craft, it's only reasonable that there'd be some regulations (and repercussions) to avoid "bad stuff" from happening.

Reactions: Strgazr1967
VLOS can be temporary at times. Its not uncommon for me to be flying, easily in VLOS, someone come to talk to me or distract me, i turn away slightly, turn back then cant find the **** thing in the sky and end up bringing it back until i can.
I fly 100% of the time with the radar mode as well so at least i can always tell im looking in the right direction as well as maximising transmission strength to it. 90% of the time if i lose it its the elevation that catches me out, even now i ALWAYS look at too shallow an angle when trying to reacquire.

Breaking VLOS is illegal in most countries (and for good reason really, if you cant see the drone you certainly cant see that distance again past the thing to look for traffic which is the whole point) and i dont really find it limiting. I usually know what i want to photograph before i drive to the site so i launch from as near as possible. This also maximises the time i can spend in the air without wasting transmit time to/from the object i want.

Im not against drone regulations, i feel they're needed and feel punishments are needed. The current situation has way too many idiots operating in a way that breaks all kinds of guidelines and common sense rules and a lot have no intention of complying either.
HOWEVER, what i am worried about in the UK particularly is it'll be used as a chance as a money grab with a stupid cost for any form of license and also, commercial interests mean people on that side will want recreational regulations so strict you really can't do anything. Because of competition.

At the recommendation of someone else on this forum I purchased the Firehouse strobe. It doesn't look like more than a project PWB with a miniUSB connector, but it works amazingly well and is worth more than some less expensive options. I easily charge this up when I recharge my controller. There are multiple strobe modes selectable and it weighs little more than the piece of Velcro that I use to attach it to the starboard rear landing strut. I attached it facing outboard and still see it from the rear or the side. It is so bright that when next to it you won't want to stare directly at the strobe. If I lose track of my MA I hover then initiate a continuous yaw until I can spot the strobe, knowing immediately the position and orientation of the drone even without looking at the controller. This has come in handy on 2 occasions when I had a video freeze to locate the drone and visually fly it home.

https://amzn.to/2mfJr4B
Thank You! Just ordered. Mine should be here Thursday.

VLOS can be temporary at times. Its not uncommon for me to be flying, easily in VLOS, someone come to talk to me or distract me, i turn away slightly, turn back then cant find the **** thing in the sky and end up bringing it back until i can.
I fly 100% of the time with the radar mode as well so at least i can always tell im looking in the right direction as well as maximising transmission strength to it. 90% of the time if i lose it its the elevation that catches me out, even now i ALWAYS look at too shallow an angle when trying to reacquire.

Breaking VLOS is illegal in most countries (and for good reason really, if you cant see the drone you certainly cant see that distance again past the thing to look for traffic which is the whole point) and i dont really find it limiting. I usually know what i want to photograph before i drive to the site so i launch from as near as possible. This also maximises the time i can spend in the air without wasting transmit time to/from the object i want.

Im not against drone regulations, i feel they're needed and feel punishments are needed. The current situation has way too many idiots operating in a way that breaks all kinds of guidelines and common sense rules and a lot have no intention of complying either.
HOWEVER, what i am worried about in the UK particularly is it'll be used as a chance as a money grab with a stupid cost for any form of license and also, commercial interests mean people on that side will want recreational regulations so strict you really can't do anything. Because of competition.
Money grab is right. The bureaucrats in every country will likely soon begin to see the opportunity to generate revenue from registration/permit fees and fines from regulatory enforcement.

If they charge a $5 equivalent in the UK for registration thats fair. I know a scheme to register costs money.
BUT if its 10x that or more i'll be furious.

Remember in the US its about $150 to sit a part 107. In the UK its roughly $2500 for a PfCO.....

I'd like to know more about those strobes. Sounds like you like them, but is there any thing you don't like about them? I'm in the market for some. Thanks!

The strobes are great, but they will do very little good in the daylight. Basically, in broad daylight you can see your quad with your eye longer than you can see the strobe. They just aren't bright enough to project that far in daylight (even the crazy Arc II 4-strobe unit!).

Now twilight and nighttime is a different story. A couple of white and red strobes and you like just like a plane!

Only cons: No remote on off (unless you make your own system), you gotta spend some time and/or money mounting them with Velcro or 3-rd party clips. Some are better than others so do your research.

Reactions: Ol’ Gzr
If they charge a $5 equivalent in the UK for registration thats fair. I know a scheme to register costs money.
BUT if its 10x that or more i'll be furious.

Remember in the US its about $150 to sit a part 107. In the UK its roughly $2500 for a PfCO.....

A little regulation always turns into a lot of regulation.

I guess you would be a lot mad at me.
I've been flying the MP since it was first released and it's only within my VLOS about 25% of the time. I've never lost track of it.
(Except once when my wife hid it ; she was mad at me.)

I also drive about 5 mph over the posted speed limit on the freeway most of the time.
Yesssssss!I am a lawbreaker as well,however that being in country,heavily forested,low or zero population. Well over a mile out over a marsh or game refuge.Its more appealing than flying the drone 20ft from you while chasing it.

Reactions: The Raven
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan