DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is bad that I’m little mad?

If you can only see the drone from 20ft you shouldnt be flying it. Or driving. Or leaving the house without a dog.
Just think of that manned plane or ultralight in the country, not a care in the world flying over nice, empty, forested countryside not expecting to hit anything.

If I had to fly LOS, I would not have purchased it. However, I'm not a proponent of reckless flying to endanger people. I don't fly over people, hover in windows, fly "low" over peoples houses, etc. "to me" there is a difference between responsible flying and irresponsible flying. Even legal flying can be irresponsible.

Well said !!!!

If you can only see the drone from 20ft you shouldnt be flying it. Or driving. Or leaving the house without a dog.
Just think of that manned plane or ultralight in the country, not a care in the world flying over nice, empty, forested countryside not expecting to hit anything.
No,man...Sarcasm....wow,this IS Saturday night and no better way to spend it than arguing with someone (you)who got mad over a perception of some other(that guy who doesn't behave exactly like you do that got you mad enough to post here)answering every barb that was thrown in humor with a "these guys think its a joke but there's a lesson to be learned....."rhetoric that makes me smile as I'm glad not to be your neighbor,but also sad because someone unfortunately is.Not a care in the world as I watch for ultralights and airplanes at 87 feet. AGL,not mean sea level,in the Midwest.

Reactions: bbooty
Proving the point of why we need and are getting regulation which is actually enforceable. Personal responsibility and self policing doesn't work for the drone community sadly. Its not grown up enough.

Reactions: Ol’ Gzr
Where I love to fly there are over 3 miles of river, open fields and trees. No humans or animals around. I usually go beyond of VLOS, because that's why I have a mavic pro. If I want to fly within VLOS, I would have kept the phantom 3 standard.

Best of luck on not using VLOS....because someday, at some time....you will get to go on a long and irritating hike and quarry quest to find your lost and beloved Mav.

I guess if you don't care about anyone else and refuse to be part of a society.

No, you should be a little angry and you should call authorities. if for no other reasons then to help show that the drone community is as interested in safety as the rest of the public and can self police. This is the path to less regulation and scrutiny.

- You are a member of a society. A collection of individuals living together under a common set of rules for the betterment of all. If there's a jerk who could care less how their actions impact others or worse, are too lazy and irresponsible to educate themselves, then its time to educate them in the consequences of that kind of behavior. With any luck they'll find the incentive to be responsible, otherwise they'll simply be removed the hard way. Either way the drone community and the general public are the better for it.

- Anyone who is blissfully ignorant or in total disregard of others can't see a problem and thus aren't mad. Too often these are educated people who are simply thumbing their nose at everyone around them and making everyone elses life more difficult in the process. Its like a 2 year old who simply doesn't know enough to find bad actions offensive. Your educated and responsible. You have an understanding your impact on others and you care. Having a brain and being considerate and responsible does have its drawbacks but at least your not adding to the stupidity.

- It affects you, Mavic, the general public and every drone pilot out there. No one has this debate about flying kites or remote control planes because most people aren't stupid enough to go flying those things next to passenger aircraft and risking hundreds of lives so they could show off a stupid video, which seems common place these days. These are the kinds of stupid and irresponsible behaviors that have put every drone under the microscope and caused a need for all of these restrictive rules. So is it any wonder that an educated and responsible adult would be frustrated to find yet another moron who is contributing to making life hard for everyone? Nope, that's expected.

What's it to you? Nothing if you don't ever want to fly a drone. But if you want to fly a drone and have paid mass amounts of $$$ to do it, then it matters to everyone.
What? Have any more "Tin Soldiers" you care to knock down for the rest of us.

Best of luck on not using VLOS....because someday, at some time....you will get to go on a long and irritating hike and quarry quest to find your lost and beloved Mav.
Not saying that can't happen but I usually fly without taking risk and fly in big open fields without trees, mountains or any weird environment other than a lake or river. The only thing that I mostly worry are bird attacks. If there is a nest taking care by a hawk or any other big bird... Good bye mavic.

Having two Mavics, I find that if you fly them both with their cameras aimed at each other nobody has lost line of sight!

Also, you can’t see where your going and collision avoidance doesn’t work that well but rules are rules.

Reactions: wytnyt
I guess you would be a lot mad at me.
I've been flying the MP since it was first released and it's only within my VLOS about 25% of the time. I've never lost track of it.
(Except once when my wife hid it ; she was mad at me.)

I also drive about 5 mph over the posted speed limit on the freeway most of the time.

I think the rules for hobbyist and recreational pilots are just that rules and for safety concerns. However, if you hold commercial license like part 107, you must keep VLOS at all times, meaning if you lose site of your aircraft your next move is to get it back in your VLOS. You can also get a spotter to keep your drone in VLOS for you while you maintain camera or google view.

If not, you can loose your license, it's that simple.

Reactions: Underdog1964
I think the rules for hobbyist and recreational pilots are just that rules and for safety concerns. However, if you hold commercial license like part 107, you must keep VLOS at all times, meaning if you lose site of your aircraft your next move is to get it back in your VLOS. You can also get a spotter to keep your drone in VLOS for you while you maintain camera or google view.

If not, you can loose your license, it's that simple.

Depends on your country...... Most places VLOS is for everyone not just commercial. And no spotters.

Don't fly in a restricted area, because the area will be restricted.

Also don't violate speed limits because there will be speed limits.

Pure logic.

Depends on your country...... Most places VLOS is for everyone not just commercial. And no spotters.
VLOS is for everyone and the safety of everyone else. When the aircraft is BVLOS, it is flying itself, not being flown by the operator. It will likely always be off-limits to hobbyists, The Big Shipping and Delivery companies (name yer poison) will dominate civilian BVLOS and how the airspace for it is allocated. From what I've read, the FAA has recieved over 1K applications for BVLOS trials and approved a handful, fewer than 10 I think.

VLOS is for everyone and the safety of everyone else. When the aircraft is BVLOS, it is flying itself, not being flown by the operator. It will likely always be off-limits to hobbyists, The Big Shipping and Delivery companies (name yer poison) will dominate civilian BVLOS and how the airspace for it is allocated. From what I've read, the FAA has recieved over 1K applications for BVLOS trials and approved a handful, fewer than 10 I think.
I understand flying VLOS in an area very populated with houses, cars, buildings, etc. But if you are in a remote location, no humans or animals around... There is not dangers of anything other than you losing the mavic if something goes wrong.

Reactions: Former Member
Well VLOS is also for seeing and avoiding *other aircraft*. Its a core part of VFR flight. It requires the pilot to maintain a constant *all round* view looking for potentially conflicting traffic. Staring at a screen on a camera that is fixed isnt all round checking. Neither are googles as people arent doing proper sweeps looking. Even remote locations can have other manned aircraft, paragliders, ultralights, hang gliders and even unmanned to potentially conflict.

The only way i can see automated BLOS being made legal in europe at least is the creation of a new type of airspace which is restricted to these automated machines only and have BLOS UAV corridors where other aircraft have to keep out of.

There is not dangers of anything other than you losing the mavic if something goes wrong.
Yes there is. I'll get to be an expert witness someday
I understand flying VLOS in an area very populated with houses, cars, buildings, etc. But if you are in a remote location, no humans or animals around... There is not dangers of anything other than you losing the mavic if something goes wrong.
I think the potential for equipment loss alone is reason enough for an individual to find it in their best interests to avoid flying BVLOS. I think flying BVLOS because you think 'there is not dangers' down-range is as reckless as discharging a firearm into the air with out knowing who, what or where the bullet will hit down-range.

I'm not going to chastise/criticize anyone for their out of visual range flights. Just know and understand the risk you're taking.

In a two week span, I had two helicopters land in the exact spot that I fly at. A week after that, I had a low hovering helicopter filming a bear in a neighborhood.

I was glad I wasn't in the air for any of those, especially the life flight helicopters. I don't want to be "that guy" in a negative news story about drones.

Reactions: Underdog1964
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore