DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is DJI Go 4 on Android really that bad?

joshnl

Reactions
I'm currently running Android DJI Go 4.0.7 (on a Galaxy S7 Edge) and firmware .700. I've been wanting to update to firmware .900 and DJI Go 4.1.3, but after reading all the horror stories listed in the app review section and on forums, I'm very reluctant to do so.

So my question is, are there lots of people out there *not* having problems with the latest Go 4 and firmware versions, and it's just that the vast majority of the people speaking up on online are the minority having problems?

Just to head off suggestions, I'm aware of the NFZ restrictions associated with the new firmware (and am okay with these).

Would appreciate those *not* having problems chiming in here.

Thanks!

The firmware has very little to do with the stability of the app, I turned off local video cache and it's been actually behaving pretty well recently..

I use the latest firmware with a Samsung S7. I had disconnection problems until I switched to an Anker cable using the USB on the bottom of the controller, and turned off fast charging on my phone. I fly almost every day an no problems ever.

I have samsung s7 edge. I had some problems before version 0.700 (freezing) but after that everything seems fine.
I am not using videocacheing.

Hi everyone,

I just did an update to the DJI GO 4 app. Now my screen on the Android Nexus 7 gen 2 is lagging about 1.5 seconds and you can only see the top 1/3 of the screen. Anyone having these issues?

I'm using both a Moto G3 and a Galaxy TabPRO 8.4, latest firmware and apps, both with no issues. I have yet to have a disconnect, but I do follow a very strict process each time I fly. I always make sure both DJI Go 4 and Litchi are force stopped - not 'swipe' closed...I mean FORCE stopped from the app details page. Then I plug everything in, turn on the RC, turn on the AC, wait until they connect, then swipe the screen to look for the app selection popup where I choose Go or Litchi. If I need to switch apps for any reason, I land, shut everything down and start over with the same process.

LP

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Good to know there are at least some people out there not having issues with the new app and firmware. I'm slowly building up the courage to give it a try (now that my important trips for the summer are over, and I can afford to have things go wrong a little more).

But I'd welcome any further comments from others, to make me a little more confident ;)

Go 4.1.3 it has become unusable on my Lenovo PB1-750M The lag builds until there is screen tearing and the lag is in minutes not seconds. If you restart the app it has no connection. I wish I could remember the app version I had a while ago that was rock solid, the one before the forced update.

I just pulled the trigger on a new Ipad mini 4. It was all about safety for the Mavic Pro for me. I sure hope this takes care of all the little things that have been going south on my Android Nexus 7 gen2. OMG the last DJI GO 4 update was the final straw for me. We'll know tomorrow.

I finally bit the bullet and updated. I'm now on DJI Go 4.1.4 (Android 7.0, S7 Edge - Canadian variant) and Mavic firmware .900 (both drone and RC). I've flown 3 full batteries so far over the course of 2 days, and not a single glitch. Not running in airplane mode (on the phone).

I hope I didn't just jinx it!

I'm on the latest software for both my Samsung S7 Edge and the GO app and have had no issues so far...but I'm only a few flights in.

If you asked me about android issues a couple of days ago, I would have said -mucho lag issues, screen going black, not one flight without incident,(Samsung 5 ) But, bought a dedicated tablet (Acer iconia one) & flew last night & what a wonderful couple of flights! Flew Litchi waypoint mission I'd made at home, just a 6 point mission that allowed me to watch her fly, all but 1 or 2 waypoints & went off with no drama at all, perfect screen, no lags, no blackouts. Bird stopped at last waypoint & I took her for a spin, sport mode to loose those **** swallows & noticed my battery is showing 65%, what? I;ve been in the air for 12 + minutes, came home, landed bird battery showing one light. Humm. Anyway, another battery,Go 4 on the Acer too, opened Go 4. & flew a complete battery, my first ever with no issues!
ps- I fire up the Mavic first, then the controller, turn Acer on, wait for Litchi/Go 4(4.1.4) screen & then, plug in cable which is in bottom port of RC, into acer, message comes up- Litchi or go 4. & just once or always.(hit just once)
Very good night of flying
Acer iconia one -M-770 or 780 (only one with medtek processer seems to work)

If you asked me about android issues a couple of days ago, I would have said -mucho lag issues, screen going black, not one flight without incident,(Samsung 5 ) But, bought a dedicated tablet (Acer iconia one) & flew last night & what a wonderful couple of flights! Flew Litchi waypoint mission I'd made at home, just a 6 point mission that allowed me to watch her fly, all but 1 or 2 waypoints & went off with no drama at all, perfect screen, no lags, no blackouts. Bird stopped at last waypoint & I took her for a spin, sport mode to loose those **** swallows & noticed my battery is showing 65%, what? I;ve been in the air for 12 + minutes, came home, landed bird battery showing one light. Humm. Anyway, another battery,Go 4 on the Acer too, opened Go 4. & flew a complete battery, my first ever with no issues!
ps- I fire up the Mavic first, then the controller, turn Acer on, wait for Litchi/Go 4(4.1.4) screen & then, plug in cable which is in bottom port of RC, into acer, message comes up- Litchi or go 4. & just once or always.(hit just once)
Very good night of flying
Acer iconia one -M-770 or 780 (only one with medtek processer seems to work)
I've been looking at the Acer Iconia one. There is a B1-790 model out now (same specs as the 780). Best part is you can buy one brand new for $90.

Yep, got mine for 92 bucks Can. at Canada Computers, same place I got my Shield, noticed they had brand new stock of the Shields too.
An aside- I flew my Mavic & P3A last night, did a Litchi mission with both birds, Mavic Video is unwatchable!
Stutters/Stops, muddy video,(P3A video is beautiful) so gonna fly missions in Go4 app today, See if any better. Should note last night was first time I;ve recorded video, as I;ve spent a week trying to get a decent FPV & just learn to fly the little Mav. I will focus (LOL) on camera settings/Set up, see if I can get a decent vid.
PS- As I headed out last night with P3A back pack & Mavic, My boys laughing- & I looked in mirror .Wearing my huge P3A backpack & the littl' Mav in a "purse" over my shoulder! The advances in a few years, just the physical size of our "toys" is quite amazing!

Yep, got mine for 92 bucks Can. at Canada Computers, same place I got my Shield, noticed they had brand new stock of the Shields too.
An aside- I flew my Mavic & P3A last night, did a Litchi mission with both birds, Mavic Video is unwatchable!
Stutters/Stops, muddy video,(P3A video is beautiful) so gonna fly missions in Go4 app today, See if any better. Should note last night was first time I;ve recorded video, as I;ve spent a week trying to get a decent FPV & just learn to fly the little Mav. I will focus (LOL) on camera settings/Set up, see if I can get a decent vid.
PS- As I headed out last night with P3A back pack & Mavic, My boys laughing- & I looked in mirror .Wearing my huge P3A backpack & the littl' Mav in a "purse" over my shoulder! The advances in a few years, just the physical size of our "toys" is quite amazing!

I've got a Iconia (790) on its way....$90 shipped.

Go 4 works fine for me on my Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 5x devices.

No problems yet with Go4 and Samsung Note 4 - I'm loathed to buy anything from apple if I can avoid it but would consider a ipad mini 2 if things start to go wonky

I am using a note4 but after reading all the posts about Android not being dependable I went out and got a ipad mini4.

I found out that you can't download maps to your apple device to use offline. On my note 4 I downloaded the whole US and never worried about not having maps. Also on my android I could move my video from the go 4 app internal storage to my external SD. I returned the IPad mini 4. Going to get a Samsung tab 3

The Iconia showed (two days to get here) and I hooked it up. No problem at all making a connection and everything looked great (perfect fit also). Couldn't fly yet so I can't report on the video feed yet (bad weather).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan