DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is everyone upgrading to the Platinum props?

Just curious... why? All tests so far show 1-3db change. Not something a human ear can detect anyway.

Well, its definitely noticeable and its not only about the db change, but the pitch change and efficiency. So, if you are not decided to get your I suggest you to get them mate.

Logically if you need spare props you may as well get the new style and keep the old ones a a spare set.
Whether its worth buying them for slightly quieter operation is debateable.
I have got them as much as anything because original set - though undamaged - are over a year old.
As I see it the old Mavic will do at least another year on these then some new model might be tempting.

The less harsh sound is quite noticeable more so in real world than in the videos about it if anything.
But it is quite subtle and after a few flights will be forgotten.

First impressions .. On my Mavic Pro. A different sound. Maybe a little quieter but certainly less abrasive. However there is definitely an issue with prop reflections on the footage. Quite a strong sun. Flying into the sun at approx 300ft. Bottom left hand corner of the footage there's a crescent shaped arc. (Caused by the gold prop tips maybe?) .......... Perpendicular to the sun at the same height, there was quite obvious wide horizontal banding at the top of the screen. both issues appeared very briefly so obviously just appear at a certain combination of RPM, Flight angle to the sun, height. But I've never experienced any similar effect using the standard props.

I'm getting three yellow flashing leds followed by two green with the new props. When I put the original props on the flashing leds return to normal.

I have five pairs, tried them all problem persists.

Anyone noticed this ? I am using the latest firmware.

Tried the new props seem to have wind warnings come up when there’s no wind and a few other issues switch back to original blades everything back to normal I’m sticking with the original blades but they were much quieter but not worth the headache of all the bugs

Reactions: jc44224
I don't have any issues with the old-style props. I still have a couple of extra sets. Next time I need to buy some, I may try the platinum props, but no rush.

First impressions .. On my Mavic Pro. A different sound. Maybe a little quieter but certainly less abrasive. However there is definitely an issue with prop reflections on the footage. Quite a strong sun. Flying into the sun at approx 300ft. Bottom left hand corner of the footage there's a crescent shaped arc. (Caused by the gold prop tips maybe?) .......... Perpendicular to the sun at the same height, there was quite obvious wide horizontal banding at the top of the screen. both issues appeared very briefly so obviously just appear at a certain combination of RPM, Flight angle to the sun, height. But I've never experienced any similar effect using the standard props.

I had the same problem with the old props too, when flying into the sun - that's the shadow the props cast over the camera. As the new props a little longer, the effect may be a bit more noticeable.

It's winter here now, so I did not get to try the new props as much as I'd want, but they are definitely easier on the ear, and at above 70 meters completely inaudible.
I had one issue with battery discharge warning when ascending at full speed (both sticks up) in Sports mode. But that may be due to Mavic operating at the limit of its capacity, and not because of the props.

So is everyone going Mavic Pro with Platinum props?
I did. A bit quieter and lower rpm.
Cant say I've noticed any increase in flight time but the lower RPM should prolong the life of the motors I hope.

Have flown at least 6 times with low noise props and experienced no problems. Do believe the lower pitched sound of them
is an improvement, but can tell no change in flight time.

Reactions: Advexure
Been flying with them for a while now. Haven't observed a noticeable difference, but then I seldom push my flights to the limits of the battery, so I can't say whether I get more flight time. I picked up a Spark recently when they went on sale and boy is there a difference in prop noise. The Spark is a loud little bird!

Been flying with them for a while now. Haven't observed a noticeable difference, but then I seldom push my flights to the limits of the battery, so I can't say whether I get more flight time. I picked up a Spark recently when they went on sale and boy is there a difference in prop noise. The Spark is a loud little bird!
Wow! I didn't realize the little guy was louder than it's big brother.
I watched a lot of Spark youtube videos when it first came out, but didn't realize the noise.

I've said this before, buy performance-wise I am happy with my Platinum props. On the downside, the prop tips are more fragile. On the upside, I experience a noticeable reduction in noise during flight (not hover/take-off).

My Spark seems quieter than my Mavic (still using the original props). I don't have a sound meter to measure but that's the way it seems to me. Higher pitch though. If I were flying in a sensitive place where I wanted to minimize disturbing people I would choose the Spark.

Reactions: KiterTodd
I don't have any issues with the old-style props. I still have a couple of extra sets. Next time I need to buy some, I may try the platinum props, but no rush.
Just want to mention bro I’ve got a new set of the loan noise from DGI in my drone started acting a little wonky reporting Highwinds when there was no wind definitely a little slower a lot quieter for sure but I started having a few’issues, I didn’t have any so I went back to the original blades they’are built for the platinum

Just a note that when the new platinum props are installed, the Mavic doesn't fit comfortably in the Smatree SmaCase D500 (http://amzn.to/2A7qarv). You can force the Mavic in it's cavity, but it's too snug and not easy and I don't like the idea of putting extra stress on the quad during storage. If I decide to stick with the platinum props I'll need to trim down the foam in the case.

d7f8763d841ce711d0e18bba39796536.jpg

I have also noticed the high wind warnings since switching to the new low noise props. Some higher winds here in Central Florida in last two weeks due to colder weather moving in. I am planning a test with standard and low noise props to see if it is related to low noise props.
There have been several posts noting this warning with new props.

Yes, bought a set on eBay, Mavic sounds just as noisy at ground level however I feel they are quieter while overhead. Can't prove it, just my impression. Had to replace a chipped set of original blades and gave the new platinum ones a go. Happy with the result.

Reactions: KiterTodd

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird