DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is FAA rules such a BIG deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khooper802

Reactions
Lately just browsing through the posts I have seen lots of people nagging on others about how to stay within line of sight, or "Legal altitude" but are these rules really something to take into account? To be honest, who's going to catch you when your 2 miles away and 1500 feet up getting a shot of a life time like I like to do. Just curious on everyone's opinion of following all the rules.

Reactions: Giladwashere
Lately just browsing through the posts I have seen lots of people nagging on others about how to stay within line of sight, or "Legal altitude" but are these rules really something to take into account? To be honest, who's going to catch you when your 2 miles away and 1500 feet up getting a shot of a life time like I like to do. Just curious on everyone's opinion of following all the rules.

So your concern is only about getting caught? Do you ever worry about colliding with an aircraft?

So your concern is only about getting caught? Do you ever worry about colliding with an aircraft?
Well when out flying, I live in the country, and aircraft's are common yes, but I can hear and see them due to my land that I live on being open. So usually when I hear one I look around as most fly (what looks like) lower than 400 feet. So most of the time I am no where near one but when it is in the general area I turn sport mode on and fly away or come down or go up depending on where it is. My concern also isn't really getting caught because there isn't a way that I know of, of getting caught as they won't know who's flying it, so that doesn't really concern me unless they find a way to track me. Also the "Keep within line of sight" gets me because if I'm only 200 feet up and a couple miles away, I'm not sure whats wrong with that. I personally trust DJI but I'm not sure about anyone else.

So the real question to ask, why DJI make drones that consumers can buy it and reach miles and miles in range like the Mavic Pro? If it's illegal then why does the government don't block the sales of these drones? It doesn't make sense if you think about it. Cars can reach 200 mph, it's illegal yes, but there is a possibility that you can easily get pulled over by a cop when you drive like that than being caught by the FAA when you flying for miles with your Mavic. Unless you uploaded the content in YouTube.

Boom!! Here we go again. Is this a late April fools gag? Or click bait? Whatever, I’ll stick my nut above the parapet again....my opinion is.
It’s the same with speeding through roadworks, are you only concerned with getting caught and a fine and not at all concerned that your selfish actions are endangering the lives of the road workers who have families that would like them to come home to at the end of their shift. There is a true saying that we look to others how to act. Individuals start to act the way of the group rather than think for themselves whether something is right or wrong and challenge something. Ultimately,
If your actions (photos) are seen by others and they think, ‘hmm he’s done it and got away with it, I think I’ll try that myself’ and eventually, (and it will) cause an accident, are you also to blame for encouraging the behaviour, not acting responsibly and exhibiting the type of responsible behaviours that a civilised society expects.
I work in an extremely dangerous environment, every rule we have has come about because of a near miss or accident which has claimed lives in the past. I have lost count of the number of people & bits of people I have had to collect in a body bag simply because they think the rules don’t apply to them, they’ve done it before and got away with it, but not this time. I see the shattered lives of families, the grief on the faces of wives and children, and always the question...why?
I can hardly turn round to them and say that daddy or mommy were so utterly stoopid they thought the rules didn’t apply to them.
Come with me and I’ll let you meet some of these torn apart families, witness the all consuming grief first hand and between the tears and sobs I will let them look you straight in the eye and ask “what makes you so special that you think the rules don’t apply to you?”
FAA have placed a set of ground rules to try and keep everyone safe but also trying to allow the freedom to follow your hobby/business responsibly.
That’s my bit, now over to everyone else.

Last edited:
So your opinion is that you "getting the shot of a lifetime" is more important that keeping the National Airspace safe?

So the real question to ask, why DJI make drones that consumers can buy it and reach miles and miles in range like the Mavic Pro? If it's illegal then why does the government don't block the sales of these drones? It doesn't make sense if you think about it. Cars can reach 200 mph, it's illegal yes, but there is a possibility that you can easily get pulled over by a cop when you drive like that than being caught by the FAA when you flying for miles with your Mavic. Unless you uploaded the content in YouTube.
Personally I upload most of my content to YouTube and Instagram. I've have friends tag @FAA on my post and everything when I've went above the clouds at the sunset or go to the city from my house and look around but nothing happens. Just content that viewers like.

Reactions: macoman
So your opinion is that you "getting the shot of a lifetime" is more important that keeping the National Airspace safe?
No not necessarily. I watch for aircraft's and can also hear them when I have my Mavic straight up from me. Rarely will I ever go miles away and be up 1600 feet to get a shot. Most of the time I am in town going above the city to get an HDR shot of the whole city and come right back down as I wouldn't want to be so far out and high up as to have an error as much as I trust DJI

Boom!! Here we go again. Is this a late April fools gag? Or click bait? Whatever, I’ll stick my nut above the parapet again....my opinion is.
It’s the same with speeding through roadworks, are you only concerned with getting caught and a fine and not at all concerned that your selfish actions are endangering the lives of the road workers who have families that would like them to come home to at the end of their shift. There is a true saying that we look to others how to act. Individuals start to act the way of the group rather than think for themselves whether something is right or wrong and challenge something. Ultimately,
If your actions (photos) are seen by others and they think, ‘hmm he’s done it and got away with it, I think I’ll try that myself’ and eventually, (and it will) cause an accident, are you also to blame for encouraging the behaviour, not acting responsibly and exhibiting the type of responsible behaviours that a civilised society expects.
I work in an extremely dangerous environment, every rule we have has come about because of a near miss or accident which has claimed lives in the past. The FAA have placed a set of ground rules to try and keep everyone safe but also trying to allow the freedom to follow your hobby/business responsibly.
That’s my bit, now over to everyone else.
Not an April fools gag, just an opinion looking for others thoughts. And the community today, personally I believe that they know these are expensive toys and not everyone can just "I'll try that myself." Like me, I started out with a $100 UFO drone that went 50 feet away and crashed every couple minutes. I then moved to a Phantom 3 then Inspire, and now a Mavic. I also tell others that ask about my stuff like "Wow great shot, how did you do that" and stuff that its taken a few years of practice and comforatability to do this and not to go buy a Mavic or Inspire as its not as easy as it looks. I have also been in the drone stuff for a while so any incidents that lets say happen, a couple miles away, like a battery error, I would bring into a open area or worst case a tree as I know I can most likely retrieve it. I also rarely fly over someones property, usually over a road or field unless in sport mode as I can get over a few houses in seconds and there isn't much worry.

for God’s sake keep it below 500’ the pictures are better anyway...your pictures of a lifetime are of interest to manned ac photographers also
I agree that a lot of pictures are better taken below 500' but some that I take above the clouds or when I make a video of me cloud surfing are above 500' easily. I like to get HDR shots of full city's and landscapes

Well when out flying, I live in the country, and aircraft's are common yes, but I can hear and see them due to my land that I live on being open. So usually when I hear one I look around as most fly (what looks like) lower than 400 feet. So most of the time I am no where near one but when it is in the general area I turn sport mode on and fly away or come down or go up depending on where it is.

Rules are not made for one person. They are made for the many. Because _you_ can see and hear all aircraft where you live does not mean that 1) you can in other places and 2) others can in their locations. Rules are made for the masses.

No not necessarily. I watch for aircraft's and can also hear them when I have my Mavic straight up from me. Rarely will I ever go miles away and be up 1600 feet to get a shot. Most of the time I am in town going above the city to get an HDR shot of the whole city and come right back down as I wouldn't want to be so far out and high up as to have an error as much as I trust DJI

Your original post stated:

"who's going to catch you when your 2 miles away and 1500 feet up getting a shot of a life time like I like to do"

Now you say that you rarely do that. Which is it? Was that a serious post or are you just here trolling?

I recall a couple of years ago and attended to a body. It was being treat as suspicious circumstances until we retrieved the memory card from his camera.
In an attempt to ‘take the shot of a life time’ this gent had climbed over a safety barrier and onto the outside of a bridge which was fitted with anti climb guards as well. He obviously thought the rules didn’t apply to him...which was probably his last thoughts on Earth because when he slipped and fell off the bridge, landing many feet below, the lens of his Nikon smashed through his forehead and embedded itself into his brain causing instant death.

I recall a couple of years ago and attended to a body. It was being treat as suspicious circumstances until we retrieved the memory card from his camera.
In an attempt to ‘take the shot of a life time’ this gent had climbed over a safety barrier and onto the outside of a bridge which was fitted with anti climb guards as well. He obviously thought the rules didn’t apply to him...which was probably his last thoughts on Earth because when he slipped and fell off the bridge, landing many feet below, the lens of his Nikon smashed through his forehead and embedded itself into his brain causing instant death.
Some people choose to perceive any risk in the most absolute worst case scenario terms... burning planes, chaos,death and destruction.
But the evidence is lacking, for 99.99% of drone pilots - the real immediate risk to themselves or others is the boring mundane - high blood pressure,smoking, diabetes,car travel etc.
Just fly your drone, be considerate to others and try have some fun !!!! :)

Some people choose to perceive any risk in the most absolute worst case scenario terms... burning planes, chaos,death and destruction.
But the evidence is lacking, for 99.99% of drone pilots - the real immediate risk to themselves or others is the boring mundane - high blood pressure,smoking, diabetes,car travel etc.
Just fly your drone, be considerate to others and try have some fun !!!! :)

I agree

Actually, that is not the real question to ask. You answered it yourself when you went on to say they make cars which can exceed the speed limit. They know that there are always people who will disregard the law, and want to buy machines which will allow them to do so. It isn't a mystery, it is marketing.

Reactions: macoman
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu