DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it a good idea to change props from time to time?

Angrycars2

Reactions
Is it a good idea to change props from time to time? Will the props weaken over time? And if so, how many flights between changing the props out? Thanks in advance.

Will the props weaken over time?
They should be fine over time if you take care of them.

Always check your props for damage prior to each flight. Replace any props that are worn, cracked or damaged in some other way.

On my Mavic Pro Platinum I still have the original set of props on it. I've had it 82 weeks now.

It's got:
793 flights
109hrs 43min 34sec total air time
2,395,653ft traveled

If they look good, feel good, perform well then no need to replace them IMHO.

On my Mavic Pro Platinum I still have the original set of props on it. I've had it 82 weeks now.

It's got:
793 flights
109hrs 43min 34sec total air time
2,395,653ft traveled

If they look good, feel good, perform well then no need to replace them IMHO.

That’s good info you’re providing. Thanks!

For no better reason beyond ignorance, I have changed them every 300 miles under the observation their joints at the pins get a little sloppy, thus inducing an irrational human fear and panic. But I’ve never heard of a prop coming apart. Just doing my part to keep DJI in business.

Last edited:
That’s good info you’re providing. Thanks!

For no better reason beyond ignorance, I have changed them every 300 miles under the observation their joints at the pins get a little sloppy, thus inducing an irrational human fear and panic. But I’ve never heard of a prop coming apart. Just doing my part to keep DJI in business.

Keep in mind the TYPE of use matters a lot. My aircraft is kept stored in a hard case unless it's actively flying. Even between flights it goes back in the case. I do this to help prevent UV light issues, to prevent Uh Oh events, and to protect the aircraft in general.

I’ve never changed mine to date, removed splattered flies from them, that’s the only damage I’ve come across. Always carry spare sets with me just in case. ;)

Reactions: mereflyer
I'm a fairly new MA pilot and certainly no voice of authority. I change the oil in my cars often and when I drain the oil I always think there's still was some life left in that. But that's the idea changing it before it fails. I'm not sure how often I'll change my props, maybe 1 or 2 times a year depending on much I fly, But with something that flies around in the air that cost me much $s hopefully before they fail.

I'm not sure how often I'll change my props, maybe 1 or 2 times a year depending on much I fly, But with something that flies around in the air that cost me much $s hopefully before they fail.
The difference is that props don't need to be changed routinely like oil. They need to be changed when they are damaged.

That damage could occur after 1 flight or after hundreds of flights. Picking a random number of flights (or time frame) is not going to guarantee they are safe to use. You really need to carefully inspect them prior to each flight and care for them properly.

What I have found is that where I fly and the type of flying that I do, props seem to last only 100-200 flights before the rivets start to loosen up, a blade becomes chipped, or a prop hub tab gets broken.

Unless you are mechanically inclined and know what damage to look for, there is absolutely no harm in changing out props as often as you feel you need to. 20 flights, 50 flights, 100 flights wont hurt at all.

If you just leave a set of props on your drone, and never change them or dismount them, you will never see a broken hub tab, and that could lead to a disaster.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin