DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it legal to fly a mavic mini CE in U.S. or a mavic mini FCC in Europe?

Napalm

Reactions
I really wonder, if it is legal to fly my CE mavic mini in the U.S. when i am there on vecation, for example.
On the other side, is it legal if you come to europe with your mavic mini u.s. fcc and fly over here.

The Spark was changing between CE/FCC based on the location, but the mavic mini is hardcoded.

I wonder if this is a good thing for a 'travel-drone' ?

Mirko

UPDATE 2019-11-08 ANSWER FROM DJI SUPPORT:

Dear Mirko,
Thank you for reaching us back.
We understand that you want to know if you can fly the Mavic Mini CE version in the USA and the FCC version in the Europe region.

We would like you to know that the CE version can be used to fly around the FCC area. Please be advised that the max distance for the CE version if you will going to fly it in the USA is 2 Kilometers in 2.4 Hz.

However, concerning if you can fly the FCC version in Europe, we are in regret to inform you that we don't suggest you to fly it around Europe since there will be legal a legal risk. Hence, we truly apologize that we did not meet your expectations in this regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogmartin
I really wonder, if it is legal to fly my CE mavic mini in the U.S. when i am there on vecation, for example.
On the other side, is it legal if you come to europe with your mavic mini u.s. fcc and fly over here.

The Spark was changing between CE/FCC based on the location, but the mavic mini is hardcoded.

I wonder if this is a good thing for a 'travel-drone' ?

Mirko
Definitely ok to fly the CE version in the US. I don’t know about laws outside the US or if the Mavic Mini changes its power output based on location or if it is the manufacturers job to get a product approved or how that works in CE countries. I’m sure it varies.

I don’t think it changes it’s output based on Location. It’s probably not a good idea to fly the faa version in a ce area. I do t know the real facts about drone laws outside the USA. I do know you should be able to fly it in Mexico without doing any additional paperwork. You can’t even bring in a drone if it weighs over a certain amount. And I know the mini fits that bill.

I believe there are 3 models. The faa, the ce version, and a special one for Japan with a smaller battery.

Last edited:
If the MM does indeed NOT change its transmission power based on the position like all other DJI drones do (as well as the Parrot Anafi) then NO it is not legal to fly an FCC MM in Europe or anywhere where the power is less than the FCC power.

Now I did read somewhere that the FCC version adapted its power to SRC rules so who knows...

Definitely ok to fly the CE version in the US. I don’t know about laws outside the US or if the Mavic Mini changes its power output based on location or if it is the manufacturers job to get a product approved or how that works in CE countries. I’m sure it varies.
Just out of curiosity, if I were to buy a Mavic Mini or a Mavic Pro 2. How can I tell the difference between CE and a FCC?

Just out of curiosity, if I were to buy a Mavic Mini or a Mavic Pro 2. How can I tell the difference between CE and a FCC?
I would expect it to be based on your Shipping address, as to which version DJI would send you. Other than that, I suppose the paper work would specify what model it was.

It has been stated officially that if you were flying a FCC USA MM on vacation in UK then it displays a warning that you may be breaking local laws and to check , but it allows you to fly , now as for UK flying in USA there will be zero problems .

On a separate note because of costs I do not believe the drones will be any different and it will be a software issue , as for the controller this maybe different .
So I'm assuming that if we can buy a controller from USA then it would allow UK Mavic Mini to have the extended connection .
Now I'm HOPPING that the controller's are the same and it's just the ID plate stuck to the bottom that differs and it's all the restrictions are in the software

On a separate note because of costs I do not believe the drones will be any different and it will be a software issue , as for the controller this maybe different .

There is this image of a paper in the internet which says it is a firmware thing.
424DA7C0-8A87-48A4-9570-48698FD981AB.jpeg

Last edited:
Wait. What? So, from what I read there, the US drone is locked to a single frequency, while the EU drone then will have the ability to work on all frequencies.
Therefore, the best combination that allows the most flexibility is an EU drone with a US controller?

No, the key here is the transmission power and the CE controller transmits at much less than then FCC controller, especially at 5.8 Ghz.

Reactions: JS1600
Not good...I suppose that if they had a provision based on GPS to adapt the power from FCC to CE it would open the door for the old fake GPS trick the other way round. Having said that they seem to have it for the FCC model that adapts to SRRC requirements.

DJI statements from various sources (forum support vs technical support chat) are very ambigous: one says FCC power is lowered in CE regions, the technicians say it is not.

If the FCC version continues "normal" operation it cannot be legally flown in CE regions, simply due to too much transmission power. The frequency band is not a problem, at least not in Europe.

I’m based in London UK, so I’ve got the CE version of Mavic Mini, which I intend to travel a lot with. I’ve just got back from Southern California where I used it a lot, it worked perfectly. The app adjusted to local regulations.

Here’s a short video I made of the footage:

It seems that when we take our CE version Minis to USA then they change over some power transmission settings, I tried and downloaded a Fake GPS app and then enabled it in my Developer Options on my Android phone and when I powered up the controller & app & the drone then as soon as it connected to the drone in the app I got a message saying that some stuff will change accordingly for the area you're in or something to that effect. The drone has to be indoors though, so it doesn't realize that it's not really in USA!

I saw some Italian video on YouTube where this guy does this and is able to get like 1300m in 5.8ghz mode, when usually the CE models get about 500m in 5.8ghz. But I would prefer to use 2.4ghz there so I can get my 2km nicely!

I wish that my Mavic Mini CE Version does really get the advertised 2km - without any modifications, reflectors or what not! I just want to be able to fly over a 1.5km distance without any issues at all. I still haven't tried - maybe I'll be able to! I really like to fly my drone, very much so hey!

:)

In Italy it's completely Illegal fly a Mavic mini FCC.
However a lot of people do this.

The Mavic Mini CE version is what you guys use in Italy, so its not the FCC version! Its still the CE version, just the 5.8ghz signal is boosted a bit - but otherwise hardware wise the CE model is different to the FCC one. So when in Italy you guys do the FCC hack, you're still flying CE model, not FCC - just power is boosted a little bit. The real FCC model goes 4km in 5.8ghz, meanwhile our CE versions in 5.8ghz with the mod go about 1300m maybe a bit more! So I think that its not illegal, as its not a real FCC version hardware wise. The FCC model has a special Sky..something microchip that amplifies the 5.8ghz signal so that it reaches 4km - and our CE models are missing this Sky...whatever microchip - so the amplification for the CE models happens based on how much power they supply.

So according to the above - the CE model in Italy (FCC hacked) should still be legal to fly in Italy, as your drone will not fly further than before, it will not fly even half way or further than a real FCC model, so you should be fine.

I'm not gonna mess with my Mini, I'll just fly it all normally as it is without any modifications. I was thinking of getting that night time lights thing with the 2 lil torches on the sides of the drone because I like to fly at night, but that's a normal accessory sold in the shops - not some semi-smart workaround to get more signal in 5.8ghz!

It seems that when we take our CE version Minis to USA then they change over some power transmission settings, I tried and downloaded a Fake GPS app and then enabled it in my Developer Options on my Android phone and when I powered up the controller & app & the drone then as soon as it connected to the drone in the app I got a message saying that some stuff will change accordingly for the area you're in or something to that effect. The drone has to be indoors though, so it doesn't realize that it's not really in USA!

I saw some Italian video on YouTube where this guy does this and is able to get like 1300m in 5.8ghz mode, when usually the CE models get about 500m in 5.8ghz. But I would prefer to use 2.4ghz there so I can get my 2km nicely!

I wish that my Mavic Mini CE Version does really get the advertised 2km - without any modifications, reflectors or what not! I just want to be able to fly over a 1.5km distance without any issues at all. I still haven't tried - maybe I'll be able to! I really like to fly my drone, very much so hey!

This will be based on flying location interference. If you are flying over open lands you should get it easily.

Go outside the city somewhere where you have clear ground. A field would be the best choice with no power lines in the vicinity. Then take you mini out, make sure that it is set on a free channel on the 2.4 GHz Band, do set the antenna positions correctly like in the below picture and do a range test.
1579869565774.png

Make sure that you do not fly too high to prevent a flyaway due to wind, but otherwise it should be good for the 1.5-2 km you wish to achieve.

Reactions: Mavic_Mini_Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78