DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it me, or is the camera really amazing?

JoshuaCarlton

Reactions
Hello, I don't have my mavic yet but have heard a lot of people complaining that the camera isn't worth it. I have watched a ton of videos on you tube in 4K and from what I see it is absolutely fine. Maybe I just can't tell the difference and I am sure without the 1 inch sensor it won't compare in low light to the P4P, but Is it me or are you happy with the video you get?

Reactions: Bobby and Kilrah
As consumer image capture device, It's amazing!!
Right? I love photography and it's seems completely clear and sharp, great color and contrast. I am not filming for a major motion picture. It just seems some people are just writing it off as a toy or something. I ordered the phantom 4 pro, thinking the mavic wouldn't be good enough from what I hear on some forums. Looks like I will be adding the Mavic to my collection as soon as they are available. Lesson learned next time I will do my own research before listening to internet grumblings.

Reactions: Bobby
I've not got mine yet, but from what I have seen the image quality exceeds my requirements even without taking into consideration the portability factor.

I would imagine that his applies to most people who actually want to use the drone rather than just be the ones with the most toys.

Maybe I just can't tell the difference and I am sure without the 1 inch sensor it won't compare in low light to the P4P, but Is it me or are you happy with the video you get?
This video compares the camera between the Mavic and P4P:

I've been happy with the video at 2.7k and 4K, but not thrilled that I can't used higher than 30fps frame rate at those resolutions. I'd prefer to use 720p or 1080p at a higher frame rate, but those really don't look good at all to my eye.

It sounds like you forgot to tap the screen to set the focus. Try tapping an area in the sky or a far away object to set the focus to infinity.

I think if you go in expecting the camera to produce video like the Orcas video above, you may be disappointed with the results. I don't have my Mavic yet, but I'm willing to bet that it isn't capable of that level of saturation or contrast, and that footage is colour graded (and heavily at that - orcas are black, but they appear blue in that video). I imagine you're going to have to put a bit of effort into editing to get results like that, but that's no different to any other flying camera.

As a demonstration, have a look at this:

There are plenty of tutorials on Youtube for this sort of thing, and you can get some pretty decent looking software for free (I'm currently learning DaVinci Resolve so I'm a little more prepared for when the Mavic arrives).

Reactions: grizzard
The camera is nothing short of a miracle. It's integrated into the gimbal too. The picture is great and I've been flying for almost a month.
I do get unfocused video sometimes but that is user error not tapping to focus.
I actually like the feature, it gives more depth of field than always infinity focus.

If you are always getting bad video you either have your bubble on, your camera is defective or you are doing it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Vroom66
For most users, ie. YouTube or Facebook video the Mavic is more than perfect from what I've seen.... But I wouldn't consider it a competent 4k platform, that's where the P4P comes in.

I fly inspire 1 that's starting to get a little dated now but dual control means I can get those special shots... Oh and have someone to blame when I don't lol.

Still want a Mavic but holding off until next year now after delays and few bugs reported.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Hello, I don't have my mavic yet but have heard a lot of people complaining that the camera isn't worth it. I have watched a ton of videos on you tube in 4K and from what I see it is absolutely fine. Maybe I just can't tell the difference and I am sure without the 1 inch sensor it won't compare in low light to the P4P, but Is it me or are you happy with the video you get?

People are complaining about the 1080p at the higher framerates. Some users want to use higher frame rates for slow mo but found out it was piss-poor. Why? The mavic sensor is the same size as the P4 but its not the same sensor. What's been happening is that at 1080p with higher frame rates, the camera sensor is pixel dumping to accommodate for the Ocusync transmission and thereforecreating some horrid 1080p. To sum up, the mavic's camera is only good for 30fps in all resolutions. I still think 2.7K is the sweet spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobby
Agreed. I've been using 2.7k with much better results. I just wish I could get rid of the panning blur that you get with the lower 30fps frame rate.

You need an ND filter and manual settings to 1/60th shutter speeds

You need an ND filter and manual settings to 1/60th shutter speeds

I've got the Polar Pro 3-pack on order. I'm hoping that a filter will make the auto setting change the shutter speed enough, but I'll mess around with manual settings as well when they get here.

I don't find any 30fps at the 1080p setting. There is only 24,25,48fps. What am i missing?

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

You are missing the other half of the world. Switch from PAL to NTSC. This is the electricity flicker frequency rates.

Thank you Mako i will! I was sure i was missing something. Isnt NTSC a standard for the US TV broadcasting? I live in Europe.
Also i record in mp4 cuz i dont have a mac. Is .mov better than .mp4?

Thank you Mako i will! I was sure i was missing something. Isnt NTSC a standard for the US TV broadcasting? I live in Europe.
Also i record in mp4 cuz i dont have a mac. Is .mov better than .mp4?

There is no standards anymore since plasma and lcds don't suffer from the flicker anymore. The only time you will see flicker is probably in fluorescent lights. Even though I'm in Australia, i like to use ntsc to get additional frames

Reactions: Mr Spock
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21