DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it possible to delete files from SD without complete reformat?

JaDan

Reactions
If I’m flying and get SD card full msg on my screen, how do I delete some files to free some space on the card?

If I have some stuff I want to keep, but want to delete only some files so I can keep flying.

The only option I could find was to reformat the whole card.
If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know.

If I’m flying and get SD card full msg on my screen, how do I delete some files to free some space on the card?

If I have some stuff I want to keep, but want to delete only some files so I can keep flying.

The only option I could find was to reformat the whole card.
If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know.
Yes, it's possible to delete whatever you want to from the card.
But why not just copy the files you want to keep to your computer and save them there?
There's really no good reason not to format the card or to have other, old files taking up space on it.

Yes, I agree, what you said makes sense.

This particular situation, I had taken some photos and video previously which I didn’t get to use the computer to offload the files.
Went out for another session, and mid flight got a full SD card message.
I didn’t know how to delete only a couple video clips, so I could continue to fly and get the current shot.

where do I look to do this?

I wasn’t sure if deleting from the DJI go4 app only deletes it from the phone cache

I wasn’t sure if deleting from the DJI go4 app only deletes it from the phone cache
If you are using DJI Go 4 ... it's easy to delete selected files.
Give me a few minutes and I'll get a screenshot to show how.

From the main screen of DJI Go 4, click on the Play icon towards the lower right
i-jGM7gXx-S.jpg

That brings up a gallery display of the files on the card
i-xjn7vCD-S.jpg

Click on any file and you can view that file, like this
i-Z2ZnJSh-S.jpg

If it's a file that you want to delete ... click the trashcan icon in the lower left

Reactions: Rotorfreak
Have at least one spare SD card so that you can start with one freshly formatted and a spare in case you need to swap out a full card and continue flying.

This works well for me but may not be for everyone:

- I have three 128GB cards. After returning home I remove the SD card from the drone and copy all of the files to my computer but don't delete them from the card.
- I insert a different card into my Mavic, then format it before my next flight. The previous card still has the files as a backup.
- Cycling through multiple cards like this always ensures I have a freshly formatted card when I start flying, plus backups from the previous two flights.

I have never filled up a 128GB card in one session but I Know I have spares in case I need to replace a full or faulty card.

I usually move files to computer for processing or editing via cable without removing SD card. Files on sd card can be easily deleted in windows explorer.

Yes, it's possible to delete whatever you want to from the card.
But why not just copy the files you want to keep to your computer and save them there?
There's really no good reason not to format the card or to have other, old files taking up space on it.
I've never formatted an SD card. I just pop them in the drones after I get them, and they've always just worked fine. I'm actually a bit mystified that this doesn't seem to be a common experience.

I use high capacity SD cards, 256 GB, so they don't fill up easily! Twice a month I take them out of the drones, plug them into a card reader, and copy all of the files to my PC. If I notice a card being even close to full during that process, I delete some of the older files.

Works good!

:cool:

MM-FPV!

Where do I look to check the amount of space left in the SD card when I’m flying?

Is this possible to do while in flight?

Where do I look to check the amount of space left in the SD card when I’m flying?

Is this possible to do while in flight?
Here's where to find the remaining capacity of your card:
i-2hL27NR-M.jpg

Yes ... you can delete files while you are flying.

Ok, great.
I will make sure to keep an eye on it now.

Thank you for the help. 🙏👍

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan