DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it possible to take Photo looking up above Mavic for Panos?

stressor

Reactions
Hi just a quick question about taking pano photos. With the gimble limited to 30 deg rise, is it possible to take a photo looking almost straight up in order to fill in the blank spot at the top of panoramas? Is there a trick that can be used?

Try the litchi app. It gives you VR.
I know you’ll have questions now but try google first. Great app - Less restrictions than DJI
But ..... know the drone laws.

Try the litchi app. It gives you VR.
I know you’ll have questions now but try google first. Great app - Less restrictions than DJI
But ..... know the drone laws.
How would VR enable your drone to take a picture vertically up?

His post makes no sense at all.

To answer OP, no. Above the gimbal is the airframe, so how would you look up?

Reactions: Lake_Flyer
Even 30 degrees up you'll get the props showing, before you even get to that point.
Heck, with gimbal straight ahead, in sports mode you will see props.
All you can do is shoot lower panos, but that should satisfy most peoples needs.

If it's jsut to take a picture of the sky, take it with another camera from the ground...

Hi just a quick question about taking pano photos. With the gimble limited to 30 deg rise, is it possible to take a photo looking almost straight up in order to fill in the blank spot at the top of panoramas? Is there a trick that can be used?
You can try portrait mode to get more of the sky and 30 degree up tilt. ND filter for slow shutter speed should make the props invisible. Also you can use Photoshop to stretch the sky to fill the void.

You can try portrait mode to get more of the sky and 30 degree up tilt. ND filter for slow shutter speed should make the props invisible. Also you can use Photoshop to stretch the sky to fill the void.
Clever, it is usually only sky above so that makes a lot of sense. A picture of the sky (taken by hand camera) could be stitched in.

That's the trick I use. As that part of the image is normally not looked at much, it doesn't really bother me when you see small artifacts when looking up.

For the past few days I've been test shooting panos with a GoPro mounted on top of the MP, set to shoot an image every 10 seconds. The GoPro's field of view is still not great enough to reach the horizon. So, my next test will be to raise one side of the GoPro, tilting the lens towards the horizon. If the sky images don't include part of the horizon, and it's a perfectly clear day, then the stitching software won't be able to create control points.

After a few initial attempts, I was able to get one true 360x180 pano from the Mavic. It ain't a pretty picture due to exposure issues (i.e., the shots facing the sun didn't stitch well with the surrounding frames), but at least I've figured out that it is possible to mix the images from two separate cameras to get a good 360 shot. Hopefully, I'll get this figured out soon.

I tried a couple of panos from video with the camera tilted up 30 degrees. They did not stitch well because the sky had too little details (no clouds.) I also tried using a ND filter to slow the shutter speed so that the props would not show up. The shutter speed was 1/80 sec. This turned out to be too slow or I was panning the Mavic too fast as the final image was blurred in places.
When tilted up, I think it would work best to have a bit of the horizon visible in the frame so that the images would stitch well. Also, I will try again with a faster shutter speed.

portrait mode is an option, but if I am not mistaken all of the pano photos need to be portrait in that case because most programs cannot handle portrait AND landscape merge?

portrait mode is an option, but if I am not mistaken all of the pano photos need to be portrait in that case because most programs cannot handle portrait AND landscape merge?
I was trying portrait mode video. I had to rotate the video in ICE before stitching. It did stitch well. Unfortunately, my sunshade showed up in the upper edge of the video so I had to crop this out which took away what would have been some of the sky. I also had too slow a shutter speed so some of the image was blurred. I will try again.

You made me look :eek:. I've been using Kolor's Autopano Giga for years. I just checked, and it will mix portrait and landscape images - no problem. Thank goodness, as I just fashioned a top mount for a GoPro Hero 3+, where the camera is tilted horizontally at a 45° angle to capture from below the horizon to the zenith - with room to spare at each side of the image. It's frickin' raining here in Northern Cali. A project for another day....

thanks for checking rotations (portrait vs landscape) in one pano build because I tried this with photoshop cs6 and PTGui and neither could cope.

thanks for checking rotations (portrait vs landscape) in one pano build because I tried this with photoshop cs6 and PTGui and neither could cope.
I needed to know this ~ as my solution for shooting the sky, from horizon to zenith, requires the GoPro to be mounted sideways, at a 45° angle, shooting vertically. I just mounted this a few minutes ago and did my best to center the weight of the GoPro over the Mavic, but this solution still came in at around 170 grams - which is heavy. But I won't be flying around with this configuration ~ just launching and shooting... It's raining here in Northern Cali today. Hopefully I can test this out tomorrow.

7199f03d1f184896f4f27a8fc286f187.jpg

9441b6711c2ac1e1c7858e73d347bb55.jpg

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123