DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is one Landing Pad better than the others?

I use a 30 inch one with four 1/2oz fishing weights attached to the tie down loops. Four for a dollar at Wal-Mart.

View attachment 26445 I just wanted something as portable as possible that wouldn't move in breezy conditions if not staked down. I have the 3' Hoodman and it's a bit small while the 5 footer is a little big IMO. I would have jumped on a 4 footer if they had one. Some may think they are too high priced but it's not that much compared to the rest of the equipment. Sometimes depending on what vehicle I'm driving, I just use one of the floor mats.

Hi all,
I use the 5' Hoodman because your Mavic snaps a photo as it leaves the land pad and when it returns home it uses that photo
to make a precise landing. The larger 5' pad gives it a chance to pick-up the landing area faster at higher altitudes.
Mine works 99% of the time landing on the "H" within an inch or two. Plus the wind has no effect because the outer ring is weighted.

View attachment 26445 I just wanted something as portable as possible that wouldn't move in breezy conditions if not staked down. I have the 3' Hoodman and it's a bit small while the 5 footer is a little big IMO. I would have jumped on a 4 footer if they had one. Some may think they are too high priced but it's not that much compared to the rest of the equipment. Sometimes depending on what vehicle I'm driving, I just use one of the floor mats.

I found a pack of eight 12 ounce bean bags at Ross for only $3.99. I take three of these with me to hold down my landing pad so it doesn't move. I also 3D printed some leg extensions I keep in my Fly More bag but always use the landing pad as it keeps blowing debris from takeoff from infiltrating my Mavic.

Here is my landing pad and has been great so far. Works great for Mavic and big enough to use with my 3DR Solo, X8 and P3 as well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR3D96J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: wytnyt
Hi all,
I use the 5' Hoodman because your Mavic snaps a photo as it leaves the land pad and when it returns home it uses that photo
to make a precise landing. The larger 5' pad gives it a chance to pick-up the landing area faster at higher altitudes.
Mine works 99% of the time landing on the "H" within an inch or two. Plus the wind has no effect because the outer ring is weighted.
Same with my 3 footer... lands almost every time right on the dot. If it misses 3 footer, it usually misses the 5 as well. The problem with the 3' model is the dust. It's just not quite large enough to stop kicking up dust especially if you manually land a bit off center target.

I use the very same one and I happy with it. I also use the orange side, and get great results.
I went to local carpet layer and got an offcut about 750mm square. Stays on the ground, doesnt upset anything and stows wherever I want it to

Here are some landings pads that have good reviews:

I am a newbie to the drone world and I had ordered this one before I had seen this thread. I like it, it is well constructed and easy to fold up and tote. I had a bit of a problem with the stakes but that was entirely my fault and lack of planning. I will make a short story long.

I have been flying kites since Hector was a pup. I drive 12" steel spike into the ground or sand as an anchor for the kite. To get them loose kick them or tap them with a hammer. If they are stubborn I use a length of parachute chord, tie the loose ends together, then make a larks head knot & put it over the head of the stake so you can pull them out easily.

I found out (should have thought) the plastic spikes that come with the landing pad when tapped on the side will flex instead of transferring the energy the length of the spike and in dirt, they don't pull out. I expect they would be enough to hold in sand or something similar. Lowe's or Home Depot have 6" nails I will use in the future. Keeping the damp steel nails from rusting and staining the landing pad is another solution to work through

Keeping the damp steel nails from rusting and staining the landing pad is another solution to work through

Get a can of spray galvanic paint, it keeps my trailers which sit outside in salty air environment looking new and not rusting.

dfe3df79759eae22d3cb8b690fa26b70.jpg

I use orange side up. My RTH hits bullseye on the H every time. Times I haven’t used the pad it missed the mark. Not saying it’s entirely the pad, other variables probably played a factor. If I launch off my hard case then I prefer to hand catch. Just some thoughts.
I have this however 8 out of 10 times it hovers over the H and says not suitable for landing. Tried both sides and it’s the same. I have force land it.

I have this however 8 out of 10 times it hovers over the H and says not suitable for landing. Tried both sides and it’s the same. I have force land it.

Interesting. I have this same one and use it often. Can’t imagine what would be causing that. Would love to hear people’s thoughts though.

Interesting. I have this same one and use it often. Can’t imagine what would be causing that. Would love to hear people’s thoughts though.
Yes me too. I thought it might be the light conditions reflections etc. But it happens randomly not specific at different light conditions.

I already had a photographers 5in1 32" reflector and never used the green side so I put some white duct tape on it to make a H and am using this as my landing pad. Its thicker and heavy enough that the prop wash dosen't move it at all. I wouldn't buy one just as a landing pad but since it was already in my kit. REFLECTOR 7 IN 1 + - 32"

Reactions: MRomine
I found out (should have thought) the plastic spikes that come with the landing pad when tapped on the side will flex instead of transferring the energy the length of the spike and in dirt, they don't pull out. I expect they would be enough to hold in sand or something similar. Lowe's or Home Depot have 6" nails I will use in the future. Keeping the damp steel nails from rusting and staining the landing pad is another solution to work through

I opted for aluminum tent pegs available at most stores selling camping supplies.

photo_1558617042853.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead