DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is power cycle required to get rid of compass error?

Elvis44

Reactions
This one I wanted to ask for some time now. When you get that infamous “Compass error. Move or recalibrate” is it enough to move _without_ turning the drone off and then on at the new position, or not really? So far I have not been able to get rid of that error without powering off and on, despite numerous attempts in a literally green field areas. The issue of issue not going away even after power cycle at the new location forcing me to recalibrate is another story, of course.

When I have had that happen I have always had to restart the AC in a different spot and then is fine.

Some M2's, mine included, apparently have a 30 day/ 30 km detection that mandates compass recalibration, whether it needs it or not otherwise, if it has been more than 30 days, or you have moved more than 30km, from your last calibration. The parameter check can be seen in the flight logs with an appropriately named variable. Log the date and location, and see when it next prompts you, without apparent reason, and see if you have moved more than 30km or if it has been 30 days since the last compass calibration.

The only time I have seen this message (which is completely wrong, there is no error) is when I have moved a fairly large distance away from my last launch spot. I have always just done the recalib and things are fine, no restart has been required.

I had many DJI quads and my Mavic 2 Pro seems to require compass calibration more than any other I've had.
Agreed. See post #4 above. Yours probably has the same variable as mine that mandates it every 30 days/30 km. However, I have noticed that even in between those mandated checks that the compass is more sensitive to interference than earlier models. It probably errors more on the side of caution, to avoid the J hook.

The only time I have seen this message (which is completely wrong, there is no error) is when I have moved a fairly large distance away from my last launch spot. I have always just done the recalib and things are fine, no restart has been required.
That would likely be the 30 km trigger mentioned in post #4 above.

My M2P, M2Z and M2ED all complain if I'm more than 100 miles from the last spot I flew. My Mavic Air is more sensitive, I can go 2 miles down the road and it wants re-calibrated. On all, I do a calibrate and have never done a restart after and they are happy happy happy.

The M2 also appears to be prone to getting magnetized. If you're often asked to calibrate, not having the 30day/30km (I thought it was miles) issue and you know for certain there is no environmental magnetic interference, then your quad may need to be demagnetised.

Don't store your quad near magnets such as what's in speakers.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks everyone, however, my question isn't about why I need to recalibrate. It is about whether I need to power off/on in order to get rid of that error or not necessarily.

Thanks everyone, however, my question isn't about why I need to recalibrate. It is about whether I need to power off/on in order to get rid of that error or not necessarily.
Depends. Try it. If it doesn't fix it, you need to recalibrate again, away from any interference.

Depends. Try it. If it doesn't fix it, you need to recalibrate again, away from any interference.

Or you could just do the calibration dance. Takes less that a minute.

Or you could just do the calibration dance. Takes less that a minute.
I have had to power up with a spare battery, because of the unpredictability of the compass error, and the time to find satellites. By spending that time on a spare battery, and commencing flight immediately thereafter on a fully charged battery, I don't lose any flight time. More flight time is always better.

Reactions: Thomas B
Aha, I had wondered about this! Having flown other drones, I was starting to wonder if my M2Z had a fault compass! Personally, I just find a good spot and recalibrate. It doesn't seem as sensitive to magnetic interference as people make out.

Whenever I see the message, just moving the aircraft a few meters and the message disappears.

As far as calibration goes I have three Mavic 2’s and have only ever calibrated the Dual. That was out of the box.

I am currently 1300miles from home with it and it has not required a calibration.

My first drone was a Phantom 3 and it was always wandering off and toilet bowling. After several recalibration I gave up and changed the compass board in the leg, after that perfect.

If you are having constant compass calibration requests consider it may have a defective compass. Especially if you get this issue at multiple locations.

Reactions: ff22
Whenever I see the message, just moving the aircraft a few meters and the message disappears.

As far as calibration goes I have three Mavic 2’s and have only ever calibrated the Dual. That was out of the box.

I am currently 1300miles from home with it and it has not required a calibration.
Indeed. Depends upon the reason for the calibration message. Not all M2's have the 30mile/30 day recalibration trigger, independent of any real interference. If your M2's do not have the 30mile/30 day trigger, moving away from the real source of the interference should be all that is needed to clear the error, as was true of all aircraft prior to the M2.

Aha, I had wondered about this! Having flown other drones, I was starting to wonder if my M2Z had a fault compass! Personally, I just find a good spot and recalibrate. It doesn't seem as sensitive to magnetic interference as people make out.
The 30mile/30 day compass recalibration trigger, if present, makes it seem like it is more sensitive to magnetic interference, even when there is none present.

My first drone was a Phantom 3 and it was always wandering off and toilet bowling. After several recalibration I gave up and changed the compass board in the leg, after that perfect.

If you are having constant compass calibration requests consider it may have a defective compass. Especially if you get this issue at multiple locations.
Or magnetized and needing to be demagnetised.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998