DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Showing Your FAA # Smart

It would be more effective if the FAA allow you to list the drones we own. So if someone else copied our numbers and take the drone to a stadium full of people and injured a person. When the police contacted me for example that they found my drone, I can prove that was not mine.

That proves nothing at all, you'd obviously "forget" to add the drone you use for dubious purposes to your list.

That proves nothing at all, you'd obviously "forget" to add the drone you use for dubious purposes to your list.
It may not be possible now but the FAA site could add an option to choose which drones we own by serial numbers and which ones we don't. For instance if we sold them or accident that happens. Trust me, the government will found out if we are the owners or not. They have the FBI as well in their investigative tools.

Reactions: BD0G
The OP is saying people here shouldn’t be posting photos of their numbers on a public forum where someone else could copy them, use them on their drone, fly recklessly and have it traced back to an innocent person.

He makes a valid point. Posting personal information to a public forum isn’t a great idea.

I agree, you wouldn’t openly display your address on a map on a YT video so being a little cautious about the reg number is a good idea.

They might not be looking for a “specific number,” but if they see a number posted online they might just decide to use that one.
You are continuing with the extremely unlikely assumption that someone with bad intentions would mark his drone with any numbers?
Then following with another extremely unlikely assumption that they would be looking for a specific number to copy rather than just make one up.

What difference does it make to you if someone else has privacy concerns?
I'm just pointing out that this is one of the least serious privacy concerns one could have.
Your drone registration number needs to be guarded as you guard your car registration number - or even less so.

Last edited:
It would be more effective if the FAA allow you to list the drones we own. So if someone else copied our numbers and take the drone to a stadium full of people and injured a person. When the police contacted me for example that they found my drone, I can prove that was not mine.

The fa does this for part 107 pilots.

Reactions: macoman
Lets see .As a terrorist I would'nt . I would just strap the IED on with some duct tape and call it good. Then I would roll out my prayer mat and utter that Alla akbar stuff.

Reactions: macoman
Yes but then would you REALLY go and stick your number on it???? Let's get real with our possible scenarios guys. :)
Instead of terrorists or people with "dubious purposes," I think the more likely scenario is just someone who is reckless.

Instead of terrorists or people with "dubious purposes," I think the more likely scenario is just someone who is reckless.

I don’t think the FAA would change the law because of recklessness..... They’re definitely worried about some type of device that could harm someone if they’re looking for a reg # in a inconspicuous place like a battery compartment

So true, like the old adage about locks being for the honest only!

Yep. If laws stopped crime we would have won the war on drugs. That's why I don't understand why some people want to outlaw guns. A criminal doesn't care about the law.

Yep. If laws stopped crime we would have won the war on drugs. That's why I don't understand why some people want to outlaw guns. A criminal doesn't care about the law.

Then why have laws on theft, or murder, or rape? Criminals are just going to commit those crimes anyway. Why put a system of punishment and deterrence in place?

The point is we don't need more laws. What is a person going to do illegal with a drone that there isn't already a law covering it? But yet we will spend millions to create a new law. A waste of money. Case and point most states have a law for using your cell phone. We already have careless and reckless driving laws!

The point is we don't need more laws. What is a person going to do illegal with a drone that there isn't already a law covering it? But yet we will spend millions to create a new law. A waste of money. Case and point most states have a law for using your cell phone. We already have careless and reckless driving laws!
I hate the regulation, but fear if we don’t comply more onerous regs will follow. As an aside... governments have never been known for their efficiency of operation, especially the beaurocracies.

What is a person going to do illegal with a drone that there isn't already a law covering it?
The point of license plates isn't to stop drivers from breaking traffic laws; they're to make it easier to identify them when they do.

The point of drone registration isn't to stop drone pilots from flying recklessly; they're to make it easier to identify them when they do.

Yes, there are laws already covering what we should and shouldn't do with our drones. Now there's a way to make it easier for police to find those who break the laws. See how that works?

I kept my numbers on the inside and mounted a new outside FAA number. Readable but very small. I also added outside numbers on all my other RC aircraft. If it's required by law, I sure don't want to loose my AMA insurance if something goes wrong by not being in compliance.

I had to register the serial number of my drone, do you not have to do that also in the USA?
even if you put the same FAA number on different drones, did you not have to register each drone along with their serial number, whereas the serial number is linked back to you?

From the FAA website

Did you know?
Effective December 21, 2015, anyone who owns a small unmanned aircraft of a certain weight must register with the Federal Aviation Administration’s Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) registry before they fly outdoors. People who previously operated their UAS must register by February 19, 2016. People who do not register could face civil and criminal penalties.

Which unmanned aircraft do I have to register?
Owners must register their UAS online if it meets the following guidelines:
Weighs more than 0.55 lbs. (250 g) and less than 55 lbs. (25 kg). Unmanned Aircraft weighing more than 55 lbs. cannot use this registration process and must register using the Aircraft Registry process or file for a 333 exemption. drone-registration.net can assist you with this filing.

If some nut, (and we have some) that does not follow regulations and wants to put your number on their drone, and fly's into trouble like a crowd or building or sporting event, your number would show up
and you would be contacted and would have some explaining to do. If you wish to show how you placed them on your drone that's fine, but I think those who posted them should remove them from the post and cover numbers like some do.
Just a thought.

I’m smelling what you’re stepping in, and I think it’s actually not a bad point to consider. Whether or not you can think of possible ways that someone might exploit your number, it’s a lot easier to avoid disseminating it from the start than to have to get back things you posted publicly on the internet.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d