DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Air 2 going to useful after new laws in united states.

We "suspect" they can be made compliant but no one knows for sure. That's still a good ways off and odds are anything you buy today will have been replaced/retired by the time all the regs for RID go into full force.

Should I just buy a mini 2, with remote ID coming should I get a mavic Air 2, will they be able to make it compliant, will the Mini 2 be light enough that it won't have to be compliant
Without a doubt you should get the Air 2 , there is that old saying that has stood the test of time , will get to that bridge when we get there. There not going to make millions of Drones Obsolete ,its not going to happen.

Its going to be a simple add on to your drone in the form of a chip or maybe something that is added to the controller ?
No matter its not going to be something that causes a drone junk pile on some FAA driveway.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

We "suspect" they can be made compliant but no one knows for sure. That's still a good ways off and odds are anything you buy today will have been replaced/retired by the time all the regs for RID go into full force.
I think there is a RID feature already in the Mini 2 that can be turned on. Would that comply with the new rules? I don't know. Will older drones be required to add on RID units or be forced to be retired? I think that could be challenged in court.

I have to wonder, based on the rules and the needed changes to equipment, will the industry be ready for the deadline? 18 months isn't that long. And btw... for those wondering if the Mavic 3 will be out soon, is it possible that that model/upgrade will be delayed as I'm sure that DJI would want it to have the new RID technology that hasn't yet been developed or tested? It'a all speculation at this point because the rules have just been decided and I would have to imagine that DJI and other drone makers had to be on stand-by to see what they needed to develop. JMO

I think there is a RID feature already in the Mini 2 that can be turned on. Would that comply with the new rules? I don't know. Will older drones be required to add on RID units or be forced to be retired? I think that could be challenged in court.

I have to wonder, based on the rules and the needed changes to equipment, will the industry be ready for the deadline? 18 months isn't that long. And btw... for those wondering if the Mavic 3 will be out soon, is it possible that that model/upgrade will be delayed as I'm sure that DJI would want it to have the new RID technology that hasn't yet been developed or tested? It'a all speculation at this point because the rules have just been decided and I would have to imagine that DJI and other drone makers had to be on stand-by to see what they needed to develop. JMO

Keep in mind that's DJI's RID and may or may not align with what the FAA is mandating what is required. Only time will tell.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Keep in mind that's DJI's RID and may or may not align with what the FAA is mandating what is required. Only time will tell.
That was essentially what I was questioning, and consequently how it would affect the timing of the release of the M3.

Reactions: BigAl07
Do you have a drone?
If you don't then get the MA2 and fly the crap out of it.
It is going to a long wait before they get everything worked out.

Should I just buy a mini 2, with remote ID coming should I get a mavic Air 2, will they be able to make it compliant, will the Mini 2 be light enough that it won't have to be compliant
It won't be implemented for at least another 2 1/2 years. If you're like everybody else who likes to buy the latest model, you'll be ready to buy a new one. On the other hand if you like keep your drone companies will be making RID devices probably even smaller and lighter than the Lume lights for drones that you can attach to your drone.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Could be like in the UK when wearing seat belts in cars became compulsory , if your car was built prior to the law and it didn’t have them you didn’t have to fit them. [emoji848]

If only that was the case. I think in this instance the ability to fly a legacy drone will be more difficult. I hope there is some retrofit or something.

Could be like in the UK when wearing seat belts in cars became compulsory , if your car was built prior to the law and it didn’t have them you didn’t have to fit them. ?
Legacy drones will need to have a broadcast module fitted to them to fly outside of CBO airspace. They still have not put the standards in place so there's no telling what the requirement will be until they publish them. I would imagine some manufacturer will start building the heck out of broadcast modules similar to strobes that will be mounted somewhere on the aircraft. What information and how it is pushed from the aircraft to the module is still up in the air.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
If the Drone requirements are anything like they are for Aircraft here in the USA it will be years before it is implemented and still some Legacy Aircraft are exempted but are not allowed to fly in controlled airspace. I would expect that the Drone requirements will be some what similar.

If the Drone requirements are anything like they are for Aircraft here in the USA it will be years before it is implemented and still some Legacy Aircraft are exempted but are not allowed to fly in controlled airspace. I would expect that the Drone requirements will be some what similar.
You wouldn't be able to fly in class G airspace either without a remote ID module. The only place you will be able to fly outdoors is at a CBO field (of which there are none certified yet). Every drone, whether it's built in, or an added broadcast module will need Remote ID to fly in the NAS.

I don't understand some comments about believing or hoping there will be a legacy exemption or hoping for a retrofit. That has already been spelled out.

We can hope for changes, but as of now it's in the document.

What we don't know is if DJI can simply do a firmware update to comply with the built-in option. If not, then you'll need to get a universal module much like a tracker.
The only issue I see with a firmware upgrade to comply as built-in is knowing the location of the pilot in real time. For most of us, that can come from the mobile device GPS, but what if you have a WiFi only iPad with no GPS?

The benefit of built-in hints at allowing BVLOS at a future time a VLOS is not explicitly specified in that case, but is explicitly defined when using a module or nothing at all in a FRIA location.

What isn't spelled out is how the data is to be transmitted and formatted so that it is known how to receive and interpret the data. WiFi and BT is mentioned but is that in the document?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky