DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the mavic 3 finally here

GPS positioning, RTH, low battery RTH, OA sensors, probably comes tuned already, more reliable integrated system.

...but my current reservation about using an FPV drone... is if I lose signal the thing is just gonna fly right into the ground or worse so having the peace of mind that if you lose signal it’s not going to crash is a bug plus.
Yeah ... pretty much most of what you write is based on historical circumstances & that thinking regarding FPV quads have remained like that until today ... & that is what gonna sell that DJI honker ;)

Starting in the order you've stacked up your believed pros with the coming DJI FPV ...

- GPS ... nowadays you can have GPS even on a FPV quad ... I have it & it works, shows me #locked satellites, distance to recorded HP, GPS speed, GPS position & an arrow that always point to HP.

- RTH ... Yep you have it, not as refined as the camera drones, but it will failsafe either with lost control signal or by a switch on the radio (similar to the RTH button) ... it will level out horizontally & either rise to preset height, go to highest height+15m during the earlier flight or keep present height. Then turn to HP & fly home. 200m before HP it will start to descend & will continue until it crash into the ground (the meaning here is that you will regain the control & land manually). No low battery RTH though ...

You have a example of lost control signal RTH here at the set time in the clip ...

- OA sensors ..? On a FPV craft that goes over 100km/h & intended to go low & close for those immersive cinematic shots ... meaningless, I mean it defies the purpose :rolleyes:

- Tuning ... Not necessary anymore & you don't need to solder anything either :) Just buy a so called"Bind & Fly" Quad, they are finalized & pre-tuned for nearly all bigger quad brands ... you don't need to tinker with anything, push a bind button on the quad & pair to the goggles ... push the same button & pair with the radio ... DONE, charge the batteries & fly :cool: IF ... you then want to alter any flight behavior you can, can't see anything bad with that.

And as I've already mentioned earlier in this thread ... you have several flight modes.

ACRO: The quad follows your sticks exactly ... move the aileron stick slightly left (right stick to the left) & the quad start to roll to the left & continues to do that until you re-center the stick, & the quad will stay upside down if you center the stick when it's up-side down. Flying in acro means that you can't let go of the sticks & catch you breath ... you need to constantly be on them telling the craft what to do ... fun but exhausting.

ANGLE: The quad only tilts to a preset angle & can't flip or roll ... releasing the sticks to center & the quad self levels horizontally (like a camera drone).

HORIZON: As Angle ... but no tilt restriction, flips & rolls is possible but they will be semi automatic in the sense that the craft continue to roll/pitch if stick is held but no precision is needed to end it horizontally again, that will the flight controller take care of.

In the 2 later flight modes you can catch your breath much more as the craft self levels when sticks is released ... only the height you need to monitor by means of the throttle.

Last edited:
@Dale D when you fly an acro type drone it does not rely on GPS or Altitude hold to keep it in position ,so to keep it air born you have to constantly control the throttle and the other controls just to keep it in the air
so ,if you started to yaw to the left then to stop that yaw you would have to move the stick to the right and this is the same for other manoeuvres with any of the sticks so you are constantly moving the sticks as you fly

Reactions: NG Wildman
Seems DJI finally figured out the best place to mount the gimbal / camera - up high versus on the belly.

Hopefully it's getting batteries to last more than the 20-25 minutes (advertised at 30 min), so not a constant up and down swapping batteries. Real PIA when droning waterfalls and such things. Finally get comfortable with area flying in and starting to get good shots, then the battery warning comes on.

the camera is not like the 3 axis gimbal we are used to it only moves up or down ,for the other 2 axis ,the whole drone basically becomes the the gimbal and the camera moves the same way as the drone as it flies

@Dale D when you fly an acro type drone it does not rely on GPS or Altitude hold to keep it in position ,so to keep it air born you have to constantly control the throttle and the other controls just to keep it in the air
so ,if you started to yaw to the left then to stop that yaw you would have to move the stick to the right and this is the same for other manoeuvres with any of the sticks so you are constantly moving the sticks as you fly
I always picture 'acrobatic'...not sure if that has anything to do with it. Heron had an interview...he flew it...I will probably try this based on what I have seen so far...top speed 93 MPH safety modes or wide open crazy and still with obstacle avoidance according to the video and they said $1299.00. My question is will this bridge the gap to get camera drone pilots into full FPV and will these goggles works with other Digital FPV drones...if so, I will be very interested.

I always picture 'acrobatic'...not sure if that has anything to do with it. Heron had an interview...he flew it...I will probably try this based on what I have seen so far...top speed 93 MPH safety modes or wide open crazy and still with obstacle avoidance according to the video and they said $1299.00. My question is will this bridge the gap to get camera drone pilots into full FPV and will these goggles works with other Digital FPV drones...if so, I will be very interested.
That price is lower than I expected so I hope it’s true ?I believe the goggles/air unit are the same ones being sold as a standalone kit for use in other platforms, so one would hope that they can be bound with other controllers.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Yeah ... pretty much most of what you write is based on historical circumstances & that thinking regarding FPV quads have remained like that until today ... & that is what gonna sell that DJI honker ;)

Starting in the order you've stacked up your believed pros with the coming DJI FPV ...

- GPS ... nowadays you can have GPS even on a FPV quad ... I have it & it works, shows me #locked satellites, distance to recorded HP, GPS speed, GPS position & an arrow that always point to HP.

- RTH ... Yep you have it, not as refined as the camera drones, but it will failsafe either with lost control signal or by a switch on the radio (similar to the RTH button) ... it will level out horizontally & either rise to preset height, go to highest height+15m during the earlier flight or keep present height. Then turn to HP & fly home. 200m before HP it will start to descend & will continue until it crash into the ground (the meaning here is that you will regain the control & land manually). No low battery RTH though ...

You have a example of lost control signal RTH here at the set time in the clip ...

- OA sensors ..? On a FPV craft that goes over 100km/h & intended to go low & close for those immersive cinematic shots ... meaningless, I mean it defies the purpose :rolleyes:

- Tuning ... Not necessary anymore & you don't need to solder anything either :) Just buy a so called"Bind & Fly" Quad, they are finalized & pre-tuned for nearly all bigger quad brands ... you don't need to tinker with anything, push a bind button on the quad & pair to the goggles ... push the same button & pair with the radio ... DONE, charge the batteries & fly :cool: IF ... you then want to alter any flight behavior you can, can't see anything bad with that.

And as I've already mentioned earlier in this thread ... you have several flight modes.

ACRO: The quad follows your sticks exactly ... move the aileron stick slightly left (right stick to the left) & the quad start to roll to the left & continues to do that until you re-center the stick, & the quad will stay upside down if you center the stick when it's up-side down. Flying in acro means that you can't let go of the sticks & catch you breath ... you need to constantly be on them telling the craft what to do ... fun but exhausting.

ANGLE: The quad only tilts to a preset angle & can't flip or roll ... releasing the sticks to center & the quad self levels horizontally (like a camera drone).

HORIZON: As Angle ... but no tilt restriction, flips & rolls is possible but they will be semi automatic in the sense that the craft continue to roll/pitch if stick is held but no precision is needed to end it horizontally again, that will the flight controller take care of.

In the 2 later flight modes you can catch your breath much more as the craft self levels when sticks is released ... only the height you need to monitor by means of the throttle.
I’m assuming the primary purpose of the forward OA sensors is for fail safe RTH but would be cool if you could get the distance reading from the sensors without it actually stopping the aircraft. Same thing for the bottom sensors. I have no information that will be the case just an example of how they could be useful.

This is also an intregrated system which is new to the FPV world. Smart batteries, and you’ll probably be able to control the camera as well as everything else with the RC. Not to mention it’s a pretty good deal at $1300. There’s not really any FPV kits you can get that have the DJI FPV goggles fly more kit with a decent camera, battery, and battery charger for that price.

we are all different and our requirements ,for the type of drones we fly are different as well ,if you have young nimble fingers and quick reaction times ,then this new drone would be a good way to get into proper FPV ,its not for me ,but i hope that DJI s first foray into this arena ,turns out to be a success ,i am sure we will be hearing a lot of reports about its capabilities on the forum ,once it gets into the public domain

Rule to live by... NEVER buy first generation when it comes to anything tech - especially drones! It's FPV and will require licenses in most countries. I'd wait until they work out the kinks... stay tuned to YouTube and watch dozens of crash and fail videos for this one to help pass the time.

When I was a young guy, in the last century, our military unit would stop operations for a little while so that accidents could be analyzed so that future ones might be prevented. Kind like how we analyze somebody’s Mavic going down so that we can learn from it. Many times, going too low and quite fast created bad accidents. Now we have FPV products that let us simulate this flying environment and it’s gaining popularity.

Can we do it safely? Many, maybe even most people, do. We don’t like losing expensive stuff and we’d feel terrible if we even scare somebody, let alone hurt someone. Now we have these promo videos on YouTube for these FPV drones. I have to admit, the new DJI FPV looks like something that I could get great video from. But, I can see the potential for some high visibility legal cases...as in, liability cases. Zipping right past people at 20 or 30 meters per second, what could possibly go wrong? Our emphasis here on this forum is really spot-on. I’d like to see something that comes with each new FPV drone that directs new users to forums like this or “hobbyist associations”. The more we emphasize good use practices ourselves, the less we get a “one-size-fits-all” answer forced upon us. I’m concerned about things even more burdensome than remote ID and registration.

Not sure why everyone is confused it’s the FPV racer that everybody is been going on about that is what it’s going to be

But, I can see the potential for some high visibility legal cases...as in, liability cases. Zipping right past people at 20 or 30 meters per second, what could possibly go wrong?
These types of drones have existed for some time now. It's just a new type of product for DJI.

Reactions: Thomas B
So maybe the camera upgrades won't be much to speak about if the focus is on FPV flying?

It looks super small, and those leds look like they were taken from the Mini 2 so maybe another fpv .

One thing I love about DJI is that the adds on Instagram seem to always be breaking all the rules. ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavics in the Rain / Snow
There is a hold up a lawsuit on this Drone DJI cannot release it to the public on 3/2/21

I’m really surprised they have come out with a new drone that’s over 150g before the remote ID specifications have been finalized. They must be pretty confident they can make this thing RID compliant with firmware updates since otherwise they won’t be able to sell them in the US in 16 months.

Looks pretty cool though. Admittedly I will probably get one. Will be interesting how it handles the left stick since you need a springless throttle control on an acro mode controller but need a spring return stick for the throttle on an atti mode drone.
You are able to disable the spring and make it more fpv. There is a screw under the handle...

Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S