DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the mavic pro refresh worth it??

Sevier456

Reactions
Has any one purchased and used the "refresh" insurance and provided by dji ? And if so what was your experience ??

State Farm, $60/year....

Admittedly State Farm may be a great option if it is offered where you are located (not in CA where I am) and they continue to offer it. Somehow it seems like a losing proposition for insurer and that makes me think something will change, price or coverage or something. Insurance companies only like insuring things where they make money, and lots of it. I bought refresh, it saved my butt and the service was excellent.

Reactions: ArranEye
Filing a claim w/SF will affect your risk assessment rating in the LexisNexis (ChoicePoint) database which all insurers use to calculate premiums. If you're a long-term customer with your current insurance company and file a claim, there's little likelihood that the claim will affect your premium (since that insurer has first-hand history with you). But if you shop around for insurance on a regular basis, and switch companies to chase best rates, you will likely no longer qualify for the lowest rates because this kind of claim.

There's no denying that the $60 premium is a good deal for those in the ideal situation. But anyone considering going this route needs to be aware that there is no free lunch - and filing a claim will provide new insurers justification to charge more.

Personally, I paid for the Refresh package since it is a stand-alone term product that does not get reported to ChoicePoint. But, my 1 year anniversary is approaching quickly, and it is not renewable.

I would consider getting the SF policy (it is available in my state), but since I use a broker to shop best rates at each renewal, I would simply be giving them a reason to jack my rates. I paid $1k. New ones are now sub-$900. If my homeowner's policy jumps by a few hundred dollars per year for the next 6 years because of a claim, it doesn't make sense. Heck, my rates seem to be going up 10-20% every year w/o any claims.

I had an issue that was completely my fault wasn't. I wasn't even flying the thing. In fact, I wasn't even at fault... No matter. I sent in a claim through email. The following day I received a shipping label. Paid the deductible... Received a Brand new Mavic about 8 days after I shipped mine in. Was supposed to be refurb according to the reports here but it wasn't. To be honest, I would have been fine with a refurb but hey I'll take new! I'm incredibly paranoid about insurance and making claims so I purchased the refresh. It has absolutely noting to do with the viability of insurance. I am certain that it works great. I would take a huge financial hit if my rate was increased. I know everyone says that it won't effect your rates ... I just can't afford and won't take that chance to replace an item worth 6-$700. My care refresh expires in about a month. After that, I will be self insured. With most mechanical things they are most valuable when you first purchase them. After that the replacement cost drops dramatically. Care refresh made sense for me. Already used it once and have no complaints.

For me insurance isn't worth is for something like a mavic. Refresh is a product and they sell it because they make money off of it. That means the user on average is losing money on Refresh.

Unlike a car or home, I don't need a drone. The catastrophic protection auto and home insurance provide isn't needed.

There are really only only two reasons to get insurance for your drone:

- You think you will be much more likely than the average user (Or at least more than a 1-in-10 chance) to break, but not lose your drone in the first year (Get Refresh)
- You make money from your drone and don't have the cash reserves to buy a new one should something happen to it (Get traditional insurance) This probably applies to more advanced equipment than the Mavic.

I see new perspectives here.. i neither own a refresh or insurance for my drone. But always thought that insurance was a better option. Feels like it is not...

I see new perspectives here.. i neither own a refresh or insurance for my drone. But always thought that insurance was a better option. Feels like it is not...

It can be. I just depends on your insurance practices. For people who've been loyal customers of a single homeowners insurance company policy, there virtually no downside. But, if their policy gets canceled (for any reason), or they opt to shop a new policy with a new carrier, then that claim can haunt for years after it was filed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure