DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Mavic Pro Remote Controller tougher than the Air's?

NAVMAV

Reactions
Hi Folks:

The small tab within the Remote Controller's left side port on our brand new Mavic Air lasted less than four weeks.

Not sure we want to endure a second round of potential futility with another Mavic Air..., OR for a few hundred bucks upgrade to a first gen Mavic Pro?

Question: is the original Mavic Pro Remote Controller's Side Port better built than the Air's, or are they virtually identical?

Rgds, NavMav

@Thunderdrones would know. It would make sense from a production standpoint to use the same part. It is delicate and there of some reports of damage caused by jamming the plug in upside down.

Reactions: Former Member
The Micro USB ports on the MA and MP controllers and drones are the Achilles heel. You can avoid future problems by buying a reversible or magnetic cable for the side port.

Ordered those as a result of last discussion. Arrived and I took them out this past weekend. I only tried the cable once but each time I took off, the phone lost it's connection to the controller. I'm going to try a few more times.

Ordered those as a result of last discussion. Arrived and I took them out this past weekend. I only tried the cable once but each time I took off, the phone lost it's connection to the controller. I'm going to try a few more times.

Which ones did you order? I should have attached a caveat to my statement, the magnetic ones are perfect for charging, but since they magnetically snap off, not recommended for flying. The reversible ones are perfect for flying or charging. I have been using them for weeks, and bought around 15 of them with no problems.

Thanks so much, Thunderdrones!!

FWIW: we use an I-Phone 6 SE; assume that isn't an issue with those cables?

Sorry to learn the same issue relates to the original MP. We kinda hoped an upgrade to the MP would 'eliminate the problem', if you get our drift?~

Rgds, NavMav

Update on our original question...

In the middle of pages 'n pages of notes on which Drone to buy, we discovered 'way down at the bottom of a page, some info saying it IS possible to bypass the badly damaged (mulched) left side MICRO port on the Remote Controller. You hook up a standard USB cable to that semi-hidden port underneath the Remote, and use THAT to connect with our I-Fone 6se to fly the Mavic Air - Yeeeehaw!!!

But... could it possibly be too good to be true???

We hooked things up, stepped out the door, set everything up, waited for the lights to change color, and... "GREEN says GO!!" Millie soared up in the air (only a few feet mind, cuz it was really blowing hard), and responded quickly to all our commands. Then she came back down to a VERY happy Papa.

Due to conditions we weren't able to do any heavy lifting stuff, but so far things are looking very, very good.

That bottom port can also be used for Charging the Remote. That was the other major concern. Haven't done that yet, but don't foresee additional issues. We'll report on that real soon.

Sincere apologies - you CANNOT use the bottom port for charging the Controller!

Happy days ahead; we really weren't looking forward to sending Millie off for repairs, after only a few weeks in our life together.

Rgds, NavMav

Last edited:
...That bottom port can also be used for Charging the Remote. That was the other major concern. Haven't done that yet, but don't foresee additional issues. We'll report on that real soon...
I didn't think you could charge the remote from the center USB port (you can charge from but not to the port). Let us know how you managed that.

I didn't think you could charge the remote from the center USB port (you can charge from but not to the port). Let us know how you managed that.

Sigh... "Never assume... you make an *** out of U 'n ME!"

Nevertheless, based on our extremely narrow length and width of experience, we assume you are correct on this. Thanks for pointing it out! We hadn't had time to test our theory, so nothing was damaged other than Pride.

Anybody with more info on this? It means we hafta send Millie's Remote Controller away for repairs, so next step is to locate someone in Eastern Ontario, capable of repairing the Controller.

Suggestions, anyone?

Rgds, NavMav

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31