DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

is the MM its own worst enemy?

In any case the Mavic Mini is not a toy - yet many (most?) people seem not to realize this, at least not until it's too late...
The Mini is a small but serious copter with certain technical (= non-negotiable) limitations (lets leave the legal aspects of flying aside for the time being). It requires some more "preparation" for a successful flight then just charging batteries and powering on (e.g. spending some thoughts on wind at different flight levels).
I agree, it seems to me that many on here that have lost their drones dont use simple common sense when it comes to weather etc. If the weather is questionable then dont fly. Simple. I fly light aircraft so maybe it's easy for me to understand. Wind will make a difference to flight and every flying machine has its wind limits.

Reactions: old man mavic
As for the height, the max altitude I went for was 204 m.
204 m would be illegal in the UK by a considerable amount. I doubt many would be able to see a MM at that height in most sky conditions. I certainly couldn't.

On the other hand your point re VLOS is absolutely spot on and unfortunately NOT following that very sensible rule as well as being a legal requirement most places is very likely a major contributor to new flyers losing their drone of whatever type it is. I lost VLOS with a MP2 as you say in 1 second just looking at how much battery was left. I also lost connection through a newbie error but recovered safely via low battery RTH but a salutary never to be forgotten lesson. I was more concerned with who or what the drone might land on than whether I ever saw the drone again. Most of the posts re drone flyaways are lamenting the loss, cost and inconvenience and rarely if ever reference the possible consequences to others and property that might occur which is rather the whole point why some regulation is needed.

I get the strong impression from many posts on this forum that VLOS is often ignored even by so called experienced "experts" as something to be observed only by less competent flyers and is an inconvenience that can be ignored as it doesn't really apply to those who are convinced they are highly skilled. Proof? Any number of YouTube videos of extended range tests by well known drone "experts" and of course then followed by new flyers as the standard to follow.The same argument used by those who believe that road speed limits are simply not for them.

I'll hop into the wind apps and devices arguement.
1) an anemometer only tells you wind at ground level.
The fly-aways are caused by winds at upper levels making an anemometer worthless.
2) I just checked out wind compass and it is the same - no upper level winds.
3) Contrary to prior posts, UAV Forecast does indeed have real time readings for upper level winds in the first bar separated from the rest of the readings.
View attachment 89967

I know that it says "current conditions", but without a meteorological station with a very tall instrumented tower or a SODAR installation there is no way to make those measurements. It's using the same system as airport weather - estimates based on NWS winds aloft forecasts.

But still no answer to my question. HOW are these readings obtained. Without that information you have no idea if they are really accurate. Why do you believe they ARE totally accurate? I am not saying they aren't, just want to know their method before I trust my MM to their data. All that is mentioned on their web site is they are using Dark Sky.

How close? I hate to be a PITA about this but a difference of only 8 to 10 mph can be a death wish for the MM.

Agreed but when you "think" the wind on the ground is 18 to 20 mph and it is actually 25 you setting up for a failure. And there are numerous YouTube videos giving new pilots the impression it is safe to fly in "20 mph" wind.

Sir, perhaps you’re just looking at this the wrong way. This is just my point of view, but I’m not looking for total accuracy or for that matter how it was obtained. I will err on the side of caution every time. There is no question that the wind speed and wind gusts are greater as you go up in elevation. So why chance it? Using your own hypothetical numbers why would would you fly in those conditions while you’re totally clueless about the conditions aloft?

For me the UAV Forecast is a great tool and has been totally reliable for years. I choose to use it and highly recommend it to everyone. If you do not simply because you don’t know where or how the data was obtained that is certainly your choice. However I think that stating the data is not “totally accurate” especially when you even state that you’re not sure it isn’t, is somewhat of a disservice to other drone pilots. Especially new ones.

Reactions: CareyL
I know that it says "current conditions", but without a meteorological station with a very tall instrumented tower or a SODAR installation there is no way to make those measurements. It's using the same system as airport weather - estimates based on NWS winds aloft forecasts.

Good grief man! You can’t be serious! I fear you’re being a bit **** about this. Please, I mean no disrespect, but what would you suggest in its place?

Good grief man! You can’t be serious! I fear you’re being a bit **** about this. Please, I mean no disrespect, but what would you suggest in its place?

Sorry - I was only pointing out that these are forecast estimates, not measurements. I didn't mean to suggest that they are not useful. I use the ForeFlight winds aloft data, which is likely comparable.

Reactions: Paulf10
Google play store: UAV FORECAST app. I use this app ALWAYS. I have found the wind speed aloft at planned flight altitude information is reliable. And as Harry Callahan said "A man has got to know his limitations" (8m/s)

• Haha
Sorry - I was only pointing out that these are forecast estimates, not measurements. I didn't mean to suggest that they are not useful. I use the ForeFlight winds aloft data, which is likely comparable.

Thank you sir! I will check out the ForeFlight app! More information can’t be a bad thing!

Update...... OMG! Evidently I owe you an apology. I just looked at the ForeFlight and its very obvious that I’m just simple minded. You on the other hand take data very very seriously!

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104
The drone is made for low altitude flying. Buzzing around your head and taking pics of you and your new girlfriend sitting on a swing, laughing together and waving. A Phantom or big Mavic, it will never be. If you wont to shoot up to the sky and scream across the ocean or a mountain, then you will need your Phantom or big Mavic.

Plain and simple.
I didn’t get a new girlfriend with my drone! Should I contact DJI and complain?

I get the strong impression from many posts on this forum that VLOS is often ignored even by so called experienced "experts" as something to be observed only by less competent flyers and is an inconvenience that can be ignored as it doesn't really apply to those who are convinced they are highly skilled.
I totally agree with you on this point. I am currently working on a very cheap mod for some strobe lights to make my mini more visible on both day and night. I only struggle whether to choose something light with a single strobe or maybe a combination of 2 strobes or 4 strobes (on each leg). This is the post: Cheap Strobe mod

Last edited:
While I love my Mini, I believe that DJI did the public and its brand a disservice in the marketing of this drone. It's not a "beginner" drone. A "beginner" drone would not allow the operator to fly that high or that far. A "beginner" drone would make sure that the operator goes through basic training on the safe and legal operation of the craft before it can be used. A "beginner" drone would caution novice owners that the absence of a need to register does not mean that Mini operators are exempt from basic UAS rules of operation. If we are going to call it a"beginner" drone, we might just as well call Juul a "beginner" cigarette. Just as dangerous but easier to use.

The result is that folks that have no business operating the craft the way that they are are losing them and don't know enough but to blame DJI for making a bad product or are giving up prematurely on the hobby. The result is that manned aircraft are now at an increased risk. I could go on.

A "beginner drone"; No. Nor is it an 'upgrade' to a Spark.

I see the Mini as a more affordable Mavic Air with slightly less under the hood technology wise and with a LOT less functionality (and less than the Spark as well). It's a serious drone. It just happens to have a dumbed down interface so it is less intimidating for newbies making it easier to use. It's not a toy and beginners should not be given a false sense of security in believing it's safe to pull out of the box and fly without training wheels. After all, it's just a "beginner" drone after all.

Whether it’s your first drone experience or not, read and understand your drones capabilities. How do you achieve that? Read the manual.

As many of us here know by reading numerous fly away or crash reports...

*Why bother reading, just give it the old college try. I’ll post my crash or fly away and ask what went wrong.

*How hard could it be to correctly fly a drone? I’ve figured out how to do stuff before.

* I don’t have the time to read the manual.

My conclusion...

When it comes to reading the manual, ask yourself why you aren’t doing it. Then think about your past experiences and what you might have missed from not reading a manual. Throw if ALL the *risks* if you do fly your new drone without reading the manual. If that’s not enough to guilt you into it?

But it is a forcast not the actual condition. Willing to bet your Mini on a weather forcast. It was supposed to rain here yesteady but it didn't.

I trust the app as a forecast, but apply the logic; if the app forecasts the winds to be too high, then I don’t fly; OR, if I “judge” the real winds to be too high, then I don’t fly.

While I love my Mini, I believe that DJI did the public and its brand a disservice in the marketing of this drone. It's not a "beginner" drone. A "beginner" drone would not allow the operator to fly that high or that far.
Not so sure about this. For me, they nailed the price/value equation. I've always been drone-curious, but not $900+ curious. I would not have pulled the trigger if it was functionally watered down to be less than the MM is today. Moderate performance, decent range/flight time, & 2K, all good for me. 249g less a concern, but I understand the motivation. This could be a gateway drone for me should this hobby click with me.

I understand and accept the limitations - no sensors, fly-away risk, etc. A $399 loss does not cross the same pain threshold as a $900 loss.

/Scott, I may have misread your intent ...

Last edited:
Reactions: mgste
This is what the Mavic Mini was intended for.

View attachment 89931
And yet no Active Track, Smart Capture/Gesture control, control with phone only... hmmm. Why do you need an RC to be able to take that quick selfie. MM wants to be a selfie drone but has none of the functionality to do that well. Love my Mini, but it cannot replace my Spark or Air for those reasons alone.

Reactions: deathmajor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998