DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a way to keep my remote control unit from charging my galaxy note 9 while flying?

jac1957

Reactions
How can I keep my mavic mini remote control from charging my galaxy note 9 while flying. This really eats up my battery in the control unit.

There's no solutions for that at the moment. Just charge your phone to 100% before you fly, and there'll be no problems with charging from RC.

Reactions: Capt KO
If the manufacturer provided that, maybe but RC only provides 500mA S-L-O-W charge.

Having the mobile at 100% may help but the power used in running the app will exceed what the RC can provide, so probably not gain.

It's an Android specific problem. If you have one handy, you could try using an iPhone or iPad. Otherwise, you're going to want to charge the controller fully before you fly. It should still last long enough to fly for at least an hour. Maybe keep a portable battery bank handy, too.

Reactions: Thomas B
Am I missing something???

I use an Android tablet (Huawei) on my RC and when I go to plug in the usb cable from RC to tablet it ask me/warns me about a usb plugin stating something like.." do you want to charge your device or just use your device" and gives me 2 or 3 different options as a reply. I thought this was typical for Android as I come from the fruity device.

I fly and complete and always end up with hardly any power used if I'm doing just some quickies...

1.) I take it the galaxy doesn't do this?
2,) Could it be b/c I went ahead when installing some of the apps I use to add the "Enable Developer Mode" switch on my device?

Just wondering and trying to help

Am I missing something???

I use an Android tablet (Huawei) on my RC and when I go to plug in the usb cable from RC to tablet it ask me/warns me about a usb plugin stating something like.." do you want to charge your device or just use your device" and gives me 2 or 3 different options as a reply. I thought this was typical for Android as I come from the fruity device.

I fly and complete and always end up with hardly any power used if I'm doing just some quickies...

1.) I take it the galaxy doesn't do this?
2,) Could it be b/c I went ahead when installing some of the apps I use to add the "Enable Developer Mode" switch on my device?

Just wondering and trying to help
Yes that option pops up only on my Huawei, not on my Galaxy. If I use the "non-charge" option, it wont connect. Only the "charge the device" option connects.

Would this work?

Good to know this RC drain issue for Androids is not limited to DJI.

We tried a 560 ohm resistor on the red (+) lead, which should have led to 10mA max. That worked on the bench but caused phone connection instability in the field. Although data leads use differential signalling above ground, it's probably cleaner for the data signalling to not cut the black (-) wire. I noticed in the video that with the 39 ohm resistor, the voltage to the phone was much lower than 5v. Some phones may take issue with that and refuse to use the USB for data. Each Android device will probably react differently.

Just as I've been saying.
For a long time everyone was blaming DJI for the drain, until it occurred to me that original USB standards required the host to provide 500mA to the target. If Android had an API to turn off charging without root access, like iOS has in their API, or some manufacturers added, we'd be golden.

Might try this. Course Root Required.

Unfortunately I dont have a Rooted Phone, My Nvidia did not run Fly so I sold it and my S8 is not rooted, I use my wifes old Iphone and my Ipad sometimes

When I was using my S9+ to fly, I would go through 3 packs with no worries whatsoever.

I don't really see this as an issue.

I fly today, fully charged controller, phone (Note 10 Lite) on around 60% and flew for about and hour and 20 mins with 3 batteries. Controller down to 2.5 dots. I say .5 because the 3rd is flashing so guess that still as a little charge.

I don't worry about it, just charge the controller fully before heading out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31