DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a way to pan video using built-in actions?

Okay, I'm more than a little peeved. I'm glad this is there, but I checked the docs and found no mention of it. Then I noticed there was a newer Pro/Zoom user guide up on the DJI site and downloaded it, finding no mention of it. Then I checked the release notes PDF (which includes the latest firmware) and there's no mention of this.
No kidding! Doesn't do much good to RTFM when the FM doesn't even have crucial information.

I guess I should ask if you are aware that you can touch the icon at the top of the screen which shows status of the collision detector sensors - this brings up the sub-menu where you can turn them quickly on or off. That might not be widely known, either. Can't remember if I just stumbled upon it or saw someone do it in a video.

When using tripod mode:
Did you tap on the 'Camera On Tripod' symbol on the screen? You can dial down Yaw/Horizontal/Vertical speed to the extreme.
I would be really surprised if Yaw is still too fast for you when dialed all the way down.
Awesome tip, MaxHam! I do use Tripod Mode quite a bit to get smooth video - had no idea the the little camera/tripod icon was a button. I've had Yaw dialed down, but not all the way as that's not great for flying. But with your tip to quickly get to that menu, I could position the drone, dial Yaw all the way down (or whatever), do my panning shot, then restore Yaw to the previous setting before flying on. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks!

Without any sort of example of the problem that you are having, I can only guess that you are panning too quickly. When panning or tilting, you have to go slow or you will get some (or a lot of) jitter. A good rule of thumb can be seen at: https://www.red.com/red-101/camera-panning-speed
If you could post an example, you'd likely get better help.

Cheers

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Without any sort of example of the problem that you are having, I can only guess that you are panning too quickly.
Thanks for your reply, but you've misunderstood the subject of this post. My issue is not jitter, rather trying to keep a consistant speed throughout a long pan. It's been too cold for me to try the two techiques suggested above.

I've tried all the tricks and techniques to acheive a smooth, steady pan (rotation) about a single point without consistent success. I've been practicing for over a year and am no better, sigh. Is there a variation on one of the built in quick modes, or a way to set up waypoints to acheive a simple pan from a single location? Example: panning across a line of mountain peaks. My M2P pans are smooth, but the speed (angular rotation) varies too much to be cinematic. Thanks.

How are you operating your sticks? The thumb mode with just a thumb on each stick or have you tried the 'pinch' mode where you use your thumb and forefinger to control each stick. The 'pinch' method should give you more steady control.

trying to keep a consistant speed throughout a long pan.
How about using a 3rd party app?
In Dronelink there is a component called 'Rotation'.

rotate.JPG

In the above sample the aircraft will rotate CW 10° within 10 seconds.

How are you operating your sticks? The thumb mode with just a thumb on each stick or have you tried the 'pinch' mode where you use your thumb and forefinger to control each stick. The 'pinch' method should give you more steady control.
I have tried the pinch method, but I think my problem is that my hand is so unsteady (maybe because I'm an old guy) that I can't hold the stick steady for very long. I will try the pinch again and see if I can brace the rest of my hand on the side of the controller. Thanks.

How about using a 3rd party app?
In Dronelink there is a component called 'Rotation'....
In the above sample the aircraft will rotate CW 10° within 10 seconds.
Oh, now there's an idea - that Rotation component looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Thanks, Keule!

I did watch a video of the presentation for Dronelink at the Austin Drone-up last October and it looked very interesting. My impression though is that it works by setting up a mission beforehand online for a specific location. Perhaps you know if one could set up a simple Rotation component that I could invoke from any location in the field? I generally fly in the middle of nowhere, often beyond even cell service, at scenic locations as I find them in my travels. I wouldn't necessarily know in advance the specific location and be able to pre-program a mission profile. Can the native app be configured in the field without a data connection? I'd be interested in hearing your experience as it might apply to my situation and in the meantime I'll go back to their site and explore. Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman