DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there an easy way to assess your proximity to subject from camera view..?

Is there an easy way to assess your proximity to subject from camera view..?
Not sure what you are asking and why. Do you mean how far you are from the subject??? Look at altitude and then add some, depending on your angle from being directly over the subject. If a slow endeavor, have subject at home and add altitude to distance from home point for a better guess. Or, get your calculator and use geometry to be more exact.

I suspect he asking if there's any way to have an instant idea how close we are to something we are flying towards. Because of the wideness of the lens it always looks like you are about ready to crash into something that is further away than it looks.
Then I know of no way to measure that. There is more expensive equipment that will, using an infrared beam, get a pretty close estimate. But it is probably too heavy to include in a drone package and would make it cost more.

Reactions: FLY HARD
You have it the wrong way around.
The wideangle lens makes things look further away that they really are.
The drone is much closer to obstacles than you think.
Meta! When you see this from your camerascreen from approx 130cm (1.3m) you can pass a 45cm (0.45m) wide gap! Try it yourself.

Last edited:
Experience then more experience then a little more experience plus some luck is the answer. Kit is way too expensive to take unnecessary risks or give in to impatience...

I find that staying well clear of obstacles is a very effective way to fly safely.
Sure but if you want pics or videos that isn't boring mainstream you have to challenage your skills. Or when you have a demanding customer if you are in the commercial corner of dronephoto.

Reactions: Severian
For us folks with depth of field issues - knowing how close is a concern. Esp when I fly around waterfalls and such. I'm either too far away or tend to get too close and nip tree limbs. Yes, obstacle avoidance does alert - but I'm paying more attention to my drone many times than looking at the screen to see where the obstacle may be.

A delicate balance for sure - as I don't review my pics / vid's till I get home and by then - too late to drive back to the fall / area to shoot again. Even under direct VLOS - noting how far I am from tree limbs and other drone killers is a stretch.

Sure but if you want pics or videos that isn't boring mainstream you have to challenage your skills. Or when you have a demanding customer if you are in the commercial corner of dronephoto.
You can't generalise like that.
You can shoot plenty of totally non-boring images and commercially successful work without being in close to obstacles.

You can't generalise like that.
You can shoot plenty of totally non-boring images and commercially successful work without being in close to obstacles.
Maybe you are right Meta, pls show us your pics /vids that are ommercially successful. Thanx

Thank you to everyone for your informative and constructive comments to my maybe not too clearly asked question. So, I'll certainly err on the side of caution that's for sure and hopefully work out through experience a 'near as damm it' approach to what I see on my phone screen..?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78