DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this hobby going to last?

The law moves slowly and virtually anything that could be put in place quickly will be challenged for a while until ultimately decided on. Could it go away? Sure. Will it go away? I'd expect tighter restrictions if anything.

I think Phantomrain.org's prediction is the most likely. Either Amazon will get the top level of the airspace we're currently allowed, or they'll push to get the airspace a little above 400'. Either way, it's not going to be anything that gets fully implemented any time soon based off of the way the legal system works.

As i wade through this thread looking for someone to observe the obvious, i can see it hasnt been said. First a guy who doesnt even have a mavic of any kind, expresses his concerns about regulatory issues, slipping in that HE is a pilot. This is close to trolling, just posting to get a rise. I see these people in every forum that exists for enthusiasts of the endeavors i enjoy. Why cant we stick to valid issues? If it is regulatory, be specific.
Lets enjoy the thrill of these little wonders, observe the law, be safe. Come to this forum with questions of answers that are useful or interesting.

Reactions: mmKay and Drgnfli
I actually like the idea of having a band of airspace reserved for drone hobbyist. I'm also good with a floor of 100' over private property for all drone pilots unless you have permission. This would make it easy for most to understand. I also like the idea of providing "commercial carriers" a reserved ban of airspace well above the 400' AGL. The "commercial carriers" like Amazon should be required to have the technology to fly in airspace safely high enough to avoid tall buildings, towers etc and shared with manned aircraft. Let them operate much like a regular pilot does but with provisions for landing. The technical and regulatory standard should be higher for those carriers.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I started with the FAA in 1989. At that time they were starting an equipment modernization program to upgrade our computers that were still running on tubes and would crash at the worst possible times. They terminated that project due to costs running several billion dollars over budget. Yes "billions" with a capitol "B". Then they started another program called NexGen, which is to modernize not only the ATC antiquated equipment we used, but also to streamline the entire National Airspace System (NAS). That project started in 2007 and is already running behind schedule with latest estimates stating it won't be complete until 2030, five years later than originally planned. I retired in 2013 seeing only a few of the changes that were promised or stated were coming. My point to this is this, the FAA and FCC are government entities, and just from that fact nothing happens quickly, or even at all. Go fly, enjoy the hobby and upgrade your equipment when your wife gives you permission. ? ?
My wife said if it gets me out of the house she'll pay for it!

As i wade through this thread looking for someone to observe the obvious, i can see it hasnt been said. First a guy who doesnt even have a mavic of any kind, expresses his concerns about regulatory issues, slipping in that HE is a pilot. This is close to trolling, just posting to get a rise. I see these people in every forum that exists for enthusiasts of the endeavors i enjoy. Why cant we stick to valid issues? If it is regulatory, be specific.
Lets enjoy the thrill of these little wonders, observe the law, be safe. Come to this forum with questions of answers that are useful or interesting.
In full respect I do not see the original post as being anywhere near being out of line. He clearly states that he is looking to get into drones but is worried about restrictive regulations. That is clearly a legit issue. The fact that he is a pilot does not automatically make him a troll. The thought of regulations snuffing out drone hobby enthusiasts are plastered all over this forum.

I'm sure you do, but that's never going to happen. Hobby UAVs are always going to be the lowest priority in the NAS, and appropriately so.
I agree, I don't see it happening but I like the idea.

Wow, really? You can't afford 60.00 per year to fly?
The TX part will not significantly affect the price of a drone and ADS-B-IN does not seem to be required.
It's quite possible this can be added as a firmware upgrade, once they decide on the protocol.
Most AMA fields are 100.00/year or more plus the AMA membership.
Wish yall would come to your senses and stop this silliness.

I'm sure you do, but that's never going to happen. Hobby UAVs are always going to be the lowest priority in the NAS, and appropriately so.
How do you know " that's never going to happen"? Are you assuming this? And why is it "appropriately so"? Wondering what your reasoning is with this statement? webb.jpg

How do you know " that's never going to happen"? Are you assuming this? And why is it "appropriately so"? Wondering what your reasoning is with this statement? View attachment 100756

The NAS is a complex system already in terms of airspace use and safety. It's dominated by manned traffic, which has priority. If serious commercial and public safety sUAS operations become widespread then it's already clear from current FAA initiatives that they will work to incorporate those. A disruptive change such as assigning to a niche hobby activity an entire block of valuable airspace that is already used by a variety of manned traffic and in future most likely by non-recreational sUAS traffic is inconceivable. The costs of the required changes would be enormous, and you have no doubt already seen all the whining about paying $5 per month for RID service.

In full respect I do not see the original post as being anywhere near being out of line. He clearly states that he is looking to get into drones but is worried about restrictive regulations. That is clearly a legit issue. The fact that he is a pilot does not automatically make him a troll. The thought of regulations snuffing out drone hobby enthusiasts are plastered all over this forum.

I didn’t say being a pilot makes him a troll, TELLING us he’s a pilot along with the vague complaint about regulation makes him a troll.

Ok. Over the last week since joining this group I have received a great response to my question about buying my first drone. Thanks to all. But the more I researched the drone hobby the more I worry that with the new rules that seem to be coming down the pike I fear that in a couple years anything that I buy will be obsolete and unusable and that the restrictions will make it almost impossible to fly anywhere that would be worthwhile. Really hate the thought of spending a thousand dollars (or even five hundred) just to have use of it for such a short time. It almost seems that it was easier and less restrictive for me to fly my private plane than a drone. Thoughts & comments.

Hello fellow aviator, you have valid points/concerns about operating a UAS. Personally I recommend buying what you want and enjoying the hobby as much as possible without worrying what is or isn't coming in the future. The FAA moves at glacial speeds and it's unlikely they'll push anything through that blocks the hobby. Restrict certain aspects of it, sure, but not outright block or ban.

Best thing to do is enjoy the hobby and don't dig in to deep into forum speculation or "proposed" legislation. Review it when it's actual law/regulation to keep yourself an educated UAS operator and that's it.

I wish to reply (politely
I didn’t say being a pilot makes him a troll, TELLING us he’s a pilot along with the vague complaint about regulation makes him a troll.
I am sorry that the fact that I WAS a pilot (can no longer pass my medical) makes you feel that I am a troll. The reason I mentioned it was to state that I am use to Federal regulations and I know how the system works, both good and bad and after reading so many different articles and seeing so many videos on this subject I was looking for some clarity. Nothing was, in my opinion, meant to stir up arguments within the group but rather to get some opinions thru discussion. Some have told me go for it while others say proceed with caution. Suggestions as to what type of bird to buy and why were most welcomed. All explained their reasons without insult or accusation. You are correct, I have not bought any drone yet, because I wish to research the subject and get feedback from those who have more knowledge of the subject than I do and not waste time and money if it was to be limited opportunities in the near future. Many have said these regs are years away while others have pointed out how quickly things can get passed if some agency puts their minds to. I am or have been a scuba diver, ham radio operator and a gun owner who has seen regulations, both good and bad, drive peoples decisions on what they do in regards to persuing their hobbies. Knowledge, not insult is the best way to encourage people in all facets of life. Thanks to the forum members for their input.

Hello fellow aviator, you have valid points/concerns about operating a UAS. Personally I recommend buying what you want and enjoying the hobby as much as possible without worrying what is or isn't coming in the future. The FAA moves at glacial speeds and it's unlikely they'll push anything through that blocks the hobby. Restrict certain aspects of it, sure, but not outright block or ban.

Best thing to do is enjoy the hobby and don't dig in to deep into forum speculation or "proposed" legislation. Review it when it's actual law/regulation to keep yourself an educated UAS operator and that's it.
Thanks for the feedback. You are certainly correct about how the rule making process works. I made note opf the fact that this has already been going for some time and that with all the reports I have been seeing, don't know when this will come to a head, thus the reason for the original post.

Soon, we will all need a license to walk on a sidewalk. To ride a bicycle. To sit as a passenger in a boat. The ladder license is already here in Canada.
Let's not worry about the Nut Cases that dress up as cops and have Assault Weapons.. Let's spend our time on all those BAD Drone people flying around getting nice pictures of things.

Get the drone! Be happy and fly it in scenic places! You'll love it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe