DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this hobby going to last?

I’m 72 years old now and I remember hearing rumors at age 15, that they were going to change the driving age to 18. My dad told me not to worry about it because the same rumors were circulating when HE was 15. The driving age is STILL 16! Get my point?
I bought a MM in early December and I intend to enjoy it while I can.

I wish to reply (politely

I am sorry that the fact that I WAS a pilot (can no longer pass my medical) makes you feel that I am a troll. The reason I mentioned it was to state that I am use to Federal regulations and I know how the system works, both good and bad and after reading so many different articles and seeing so many videos on this subject I was looking for some clarity. Nothing was, in my opinion, meant to stir up arguments within the group but rather to get some opinions thru discussion. Some have told me go for it while others say proceed with caution. Suggestions as to what type of bird to buy and why were most welcomed. All explained their reasons without insult or accusation. You are correct, I have not bought any drone yet, because I wish to research the subject and get feedback from those who have more knowledge of the subject than I do and not waste time and money if it was to be limited opportunities in the near future. Many have said these regs are years away while others have pointed out how quickly things can get passed if some agency puts their minds to. I am or have been a scuba diver, ham radio operator and a gun owner who has seen regulations, both good and bad, drive peoples decisions on what they do in regards to persuing their hobbies. Knowledge, not insult is the best way to encourage people in all facets of life. Thanks to the forum members for their input.
I really do not think the majority think you were trying to stir up trouble. There will always be some who sit on the edge of their seats anxiously awaiting on an opportunity to be offended. I think if you purchase any of the Mavic products you will be able to enjoy your drone for a long time considering that DJI can satisfy most changes via a firmware update. If your still skittish you may consider the Mavic Mini. For the price it offers a lot to the knowledgeable pilot. I'm more comfortable with the Mavic Pro 2 but it is a bit more expensive. Regardless of your choice, you will enjoy yourself.

Im not sure why people think that just a minuscule number of Drone Infractions would be the cause of the new regulations set fourth or that have been enforced.

I think your missing the bigger picture , the question that should always be asked is who stands to Profit and how.

Amazon has been lobbying for awhile now to be able to deliver packages by drones , and to do that they need a clean air space as do other companies.

If i were to take a guess, I would say that the 400 ft level is going to slowly fade to about 200ft , leaving the 300 to 400 ft levels for Amazon and other big companies to dominate that area.

I think DJI is also waiting to see how it all plays out with Amazon and the FAA , believe me when I tell you its not about air ports and drones, , it about the 100 mil that Amazon is going to drop to get there way.

The hobby will endure , but were going to loose a little more before it it settles .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your drone in the Rain.
Coal
There is no way in hell a private entity should be allowed to dominate air space at the expense of others. Least of all a bloated overvalued setup like Amazon. If this is ever proposed then I sincerely hope people fight tooth and nail to block it. I don’t give a **** how much money Bezos is worth, it means nothing. Really hope this never happens.

There is no way in hell a private entity should be allowed to dominate air space at the expense of others. Least of all a bloated overvalued setup like Amazon. If this is ever proposed then I sincerely hope people fight tooth and nail to block it. I don’t give a **** how much money Bezos is worth, it means nothing. Really hope this never happens.

This is not being driven by Amazon, or any other "private entity". This is being driven by the simple need to bring the NAS into line with the reality of sUAS operations.

Ok. Over the last week since joining this group I have received a great response to my question about buying my first drone. Thanks to all. But the more I researched the drone hobby the more I worry that with the new rules that seem to be coming down the pike I fear that in a couple years anything that I buy will be obsolete and unusable and that the restrictions will make it almost impossible to fly anywhere that would be worthwhile. Really hate the thought of spending a thousand dollars (or even five hundred) just to have use of it for such a short time. It almost seems that it was easier and less restrictive for me to fly my private plane than a drone. Thoughts & comments.
I don’t think that is the right question you should be asking yourself. You have reservations about the future a couple years down the road. If you aren’t “hot” to fly drones, why? If your answer is because of the current regs, don’t buy. And that is a valid reason. I have lost a lot of interest in flying because of the current limitations on where I can fly. They have eliminated a lot of the accessible and beautiful places. Flying over cow fields is not exciting.

Ok. Over the last week since joining this group I have received a great response to my question about buying my first drone. Thanks to all. But the more I researched the drone hobby the more I worry that with the new rules that seem to be coming down the pike I fear that in a couple years anything that I buy will be obsolete and unusable and that the restrictions will make it almost impossible to fly anywhere that would be worthwhile. Really hate the thought of spending a thousand dollars (or even five hundred) just to have use of it for such a short time. It almost seems that it was easier and less restrictive for me to fly my private plane than a drone. Thoughts & comments.
If you are are new to the hobby, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN, find a new hobby, this hobby is getting WAY TO MESSY, THE GOVERNMENTS WITH THERE RESTRICTIONS WILL DISTROY THS HOBBY VERY SHORTLY.
I have been in the RC hobby for over 40 years. it's not the same folks

I have been in the RC hobby for over 40 years. it's not the same folks

As a hobby it bears almost no resemblance to your traditional RC flying - it's not the same and neither is its impact on the NAS. So of course the resulting regulation of it is going to be completely different too.

I don’t think that is the right question you should be asking yourself. You have reservations about the future a couple years down the road. If you aren’t “hot” to fly drones, why? If your answer is because of the current regs, don’t buy. And that is a valid reason. I have lost a lot of interest in flying because of the current limitations on where I can fly. They have eliminated a lot of the accessible and beautiful places. Flying over cow fields is not exciting.
What restrictions on where you can fly? In the US? Where I live in Colorado Springs where we have multiple military bases and airport, there are plenty of places to fly? I thought FAA has sovereign authorization over all airspace??

I was about to pull the trigger but decided not to because of all the new upcoming regs. I think they are going to far and that it will kill recreational use. The cost of a nice drone is high enough but given data charges, license fees, and other associated ID broadcasting fees etc. think I will pass. Just to many additional recurring fees unless you plan to fly a lot.

I have to use the example of HAM radio. Most HAMs including me started out on unregulated CB radio. At some point at least in my area, it got to the point that you couldn't have the radio on with the kids in the same room. Being that knowbody knows who or where anyone is, it was a free for all. Of course there are a lot of good operators, but the bad ones made it almost unusable. I moved to HAM radio where everyone is licensed, and everyone knows who and where you are, and it is a completely different world. Sure you give up some privacy, but the operation is clean and professional. I believe that FCC changes are quite some time out there, and will possibly change the hobby some, but not necessarily in a bad way. For the most part they are only trying to keep the skies safe for all involved, and it may be a plus as far as public relations go. If folks know that operators are regulated and monitored as far as location, maybe they will slack off on worrying about spying/peeping and all the other ridiculous accusations they come up with. Will it add to the hobby cost? Obviously yes, but cost always continues to go up no matter what.
Couldn’t agree more. I have been a HAM for 53 years and like any hobby there have been many changes; licensing, equipment updates, rule changes etc...however that hobby still recruits new members even with cell phones, the internet, Skype and whatever else. The magic of the hobby is still there and the FCC has so much in its plate that policing the hobby takes a low priority. There are always going to be “bad apples” and that’s just life today.
Enjoy this hobby and let the chips fall where they may....
Neighbors who are concerned about spying by my little camera drone should worry more about their excursions on the internet than me giving a **** what they are doing in their pool. ?

Neighbors who are concerned about spying by my little camera drone should worry more about their excursions on the internet than me giving a **** what they are doing in their pool. ?

It may surprise you to learn that the new regulations were not proposed because of complaints from your neighbors.

• Haha
Reactions: Ty Pilot
I've been around the sun enough times to know you follow the money. Amazon, FedEx, Wal-Mart. They and others like them want us out of the sky so they don't have to worry about us. I have no doubt the have lobbied hard and incurred great expense to convince the FAA to make flying so onerous as to not be worth it to a hobbyist. Time will tell.

The NAS is a complex system already in terms of airspace use and safety. It's dominated by manned traffic, which has priority. If serious commercial and public safety sUAS operations become widespread then it's already clear from current FAA initiatives that they will work to incorporate those. A disruptive change such as assigning to a niche hobby activity an entire block of valuable airspace that is already used by a variety of manned traffic and in future most likely by non-recreational sUAS traffic is inconceivable. The costs of the required changes would be enormous, and you have no doubt already seen all the whining about paying $5 per month for RID service.
Thank you for answering! I value your opinion even if sometimes I do not always agree with it.

Reactions: sar104
I've been around the sun enough times to know you follow the money. Amazon, FedEx, Wal-Mart. They and others like them want us out of the sky so they don't have to worry about us. I have no doubt the have lobbied hard and incurred great expense to convince the FAA to make flying so onerous as to not be worth it to a hobbyist. Time will tell.

Good theory, except they haven't. What they do want, as does the FAA in relation to manned aircraft, is a traffic deconfliction system that will allow safe use of the NAS. As should all users.

the hobby of RC flying ,has been,and still is a regulation driven pastime ,and because of those regulations has been a safe and popular pastime for many people for many years
the big difference between flying at a designated site, and just going out,to wherever you like to fly, is the main reason these new rules and regs are being discussed
to fly at a club field requires a knowledge of safe operation of your model, and there are strict rules on the use of the airspace that is being flown in
i know you are going to say i am stating the obvious, and thats the point of my post
since the advent of the new breed of UAVs, with the tech that was reserved for military use not so long ago,at a price that joe blogs could afford
and could be purchased and flown,with little regard to knowledge and rules for safe use of the NAS,is what has led to the lawmakers trying to play catch up
there always have, and always will be rules for safe use of airspace,this is nothing new

Reactions: dronerdave
Wow. When I started this thread 3 days ago seeking some insight from members as to what the future might hold in store for the hobby and if I should even think about getting involved I didn't expect such a response. First, thanks to all for the comments, suggestions and support. All the input was heard and appreciated. Just so you know, I have decided to take a shot at this although I have modified my plans somewhat. As one individual pointed out, "he doesn't even own a drone". Well that changed today when I purchased a Mavic Mini from a fellow member on the Classified Forum. That was a downsizing from my original plan to purchase a Pro. It will give me more piece of mind that if this doesn't work out do to regulation changes or to my interest in the hobby, I will still have tried it and the financial impact will be far less. (I can always hang it from the ceiling like a model airplane ?). If, hopefully, it does work out then I will have a base to build on and can expand to bigger and better things. I'm looking forward to receiving my bird and once my mandatory 2 week Corona virus quarantine is over, getting out to have some fun. Thanks again to everyone and I am sure I will run into many of you of the forum in the future.

It's probably not going to last with me. Between the laws, community paranoia, lack of available flying time (too cold, too windy, too dark, too wet, etc....I live in Eastern Washington), I'm just about done. I'm down to a 3dr Solo, Mavic Mini, M2P, and I'm waiting on my MA2. I don't get enough flying time to really get good. My drones have very few hours on them. I'm usually so tense that someone is going to drive up, walk up, etc, on me that I can't really relax. Anyway. It's too bad. The tech is so cool and interesting. I don't fly professionally and have no aspirations to do so. I think i'm going to find another hobby.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair