DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this it? The new mavic Jan 23?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted that picture over on the official DJI mavic forum and it was immediately deleted. Someone does not want that picture shown.

Yes that's it, same as the photo I posted, it's only Spark size, so it will make the Spark obsolete tomorrow.

That's cool, how do you fit a 32mp 4k camera into that Spark size housing, all I can think of is that it uses a sensor shift algorithm

From the icons,

• 32mp camera (the more MP's you have the bigger impact of camera shake)
  • foldable
  • 3 axis gimbal
  • 4k video
  • fixed wing mode
  • gesture mode
  • 21 minute flight time
How do u know its the size of spark? The motors look like p4 motors with the heat sink vents at bottom

Attachments

• _facebook_1516624651050_1516624673284.jpg
    _facebook_1516624651050_1516624673284.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 65
So it basically is a updated spark nothing special
Incremental update to the spark
Nothing groundbreaking
Still waiting for mavic 2 and p5
Good marketing on DJI for calling it Mavic Air
Somehow this whole scenario reminds me about Apple products

So it basically is a updated spark nothing special
Incremental update to the spark
Nothing groundbreaking
Still waiting for mavic 2 and p5
Good marketing on DJI for calling it Mavic Air
Somehow this whole scenario reminds me about Apple products

Yep, not impressed, - as a Spark and Mavic owner.

Still buying one because reasons.

ALSO, one of the things I really like about the Mavic Air is that it looks like folding it is SUPER easy. The Mavic is super futzy to fold. You have to be careful, gentle, blah blah. It's like jenga at times. Make sure to fold the props in and not catch them or break them.

With the Mavic Air the props don't fold, and all 4 arms just fold inward. So simple. Wish the Mavic were the same design.

That said, the Mavic looks positively bad-***, which the Air doesn't.

If this is another 'big' DJI announcement, I'm pretty disappointed. DJI seems to be on a trend to satisfy a soon-to-be saturated market in selfie drones. A more robust Mavic or Phantom series is what I'm waiting for: flir camera option, longe range and swapable lenses The Matrice or Inspire are still too expensive to risk in risky situations. A Phantom with the Mavic range and affordable flir option would be very attractive for prosumers and SAR, and police and fire departments. I wish they wouldn't force us to consider such expensive options. Someone needs to make an affordable 640p flir camera for DJI drones.

In that photo you can see that the downward sensors and cameras are grouped at one end of the craft. I hope the MPII is the same. It'll make it easier to attach stuff on the underside--lights, finders, etc.

I think it's going to be a fully functional AI sex doll with a propeller. Question is...where are they going to locate the propeller?

Reactions: zero1981
. I hope the MPII is the same.

Has anyone ever considered that there may never be another Mavic Pro model? That DJI just might come out with something completely new, or different and never use the Mavic name again? If I had a dime for every comment on here where someone said "I hope the Mavic II" or "when the Mavic II comes out", I would have enough money to buy an Inspire!

Not being critical of anyone so don't take this post that way, but it is much like the everyone saying my next drone is going to be the Autel Evo and it isn't even on the market yet. Wasn't Autel supposed to give us an awesome thermal camera?

but it is much like the everyone saying my next drone is going to be the Autel Evo and it isn't even on the market yet.
Yeah, I don't get all this Autel hype. They currently do have a Phantom like drone on the market and no one seems to be raving about it.

Well the YouTube Vloggers are there:

upload_2018-1-23_9-27-50.png

I agree -- we're finally getting some real competition in the prosumer drone market. That's great for all of us. Personally, after seeing the Mavic Air announcement, I'm racing to eBay to list my Mavic Pro rig. The Air looks absolutely incredible. It looks like a more refined, higher quality version of the Evo. I can't imagine any reason whatsoever to buy any drone from DJI other than a Mavic Air or an Inspire 2. The rest now look like junk.

Already ordered my Black Fly More

I agree -- we're finally getting some real competition in the prosumer drone market. That's great for all of us. Personally, after seeing the Mavic Air announcement, I'm racing to eBay to list my Mavic Pro rig. The Air looks absolutely incredible. It looks like a more refined, higher quality version of the Evo. I can't imagine any reason whatsoever to buy any drone from DJI other than a Mavic Air or an Inspire 2. The rest now look like junk.

Depends if you need more range or battery life. It’s also not using Occusync. As a Spark owner, I can tell you the video feed stability and responsiveness is miles better on the Mavic Pro.

Still, I want one!

The thing that drives me nuts about this hobby is the lack of any measure of compatibility across products. The chargers are different, batteries, controllers, props -- everything. I have the most amazing Mavic Pro setup you can imagine, but essentially none of it can be reused once I buy the Air.

Oh well, I guess that's the price we pay for participating in this hobby. All I know is someone is going to get one heck of a deal when they buy my Pro.

The new spec sheet is up on DJI website. First things that caught my interest
1. 4K@30fps and Max Video Bitrate = 100MBps !!!!
2. Three axis stabilization
3. Same sensor size as the Mavic.
4. Backwards sensor in addition to front and down
5. Looks like controller has no display - interesting if your phone crashes

Last edited:
I 'm ok with my MP, I'll wait for something better

If I were in the market for a new drone, I would undoubtedly go with the new Air. That said, I'm not sure if the new Air is superior enough to the Pro to justify selling everything and buying a new Air setup. The problem with these drones is that it's all or nothing -- everything is proprietary to the model and virtually nothing is reusable from one model to the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne