DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this normal? Lost rear propeller blade w/ 1.5 mi safe return flight

Man somebody get this man a beer!!! ;)

Reactions: Former Member
Without a doubt, losing an entire prop will cause a tumble crash (on a quad,) every time and personally, I believe that prop had some sort of damage near the break point before the flight. Consequently, I will be paying closer attention to that area of the props on mine as I erroneously thought any break would probably occur somewhere along the blade itself, not at the wing (blade) root.

Remember, the drone doesn't know how many blades are on the props and it doesn't exactly understand lift, either. The onboard gyros simply tell the ESC's how fast to spin each of the four props to maintain level flight by using the RPM of the motors and thus, increasing or decreasing lift at the corners.

Even so, one would guess that the single blade would have to turn twice as fast as the other three in order to generate the same amount of lift. (Yeah, no wonder the test bird was "howling," as there was most definitely a difference in RPM between the failed prop and the others.)

Now, how that girl made it back is WAY beyond me but for sure a tribute to DJI.

I think DJI might LOVE to hear about this

BigAl: I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree! Talk about impressive marketing...hey, our Mavic 2 can fly with three and a half props and still make it home! For sure I would contact them, who knows, you might get something out of the deal as well as getting your Mav back.

The fracture pattern on what is left from the wing indicates that the top was in tension and the bottom in compression. This is not consistent with hitting something during flight which would cause a horizontally oriented neutral axis vs the vertical axis present. The fracture pattern is also not consistent with fatigue damage or cyclical dynamic loading. More likely cause by pushing down on the blade during handling or transport which caused the primary fracture. Most likely the blade was lost very close to where you took off.

The fracture pattern on what is left from the wing indicates that the top was in tension and the bottom in compression. This is not consistent with hitting something during flight which would cause a horizontally oriented neutral axis vs the vertical axis present. The fracture pattern is also not consistent with fatigue damage or cyclical dynamic loading. More likely cause by pushing down on the blade during handling or transport which caused the primary fracture. Most likely the blade was lost very close to where you took off.
That makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Don the engineer
Rob: for some unknown reason, I never looked at your signature text and the list of drones you have or had, until just now. UNBELIEVABLE! I wonder if ANY Forum members have had as many? No wonder you know so much about these little (but expensive,) toys. :)

I count TWENTY-TWO!!!!

Rob: for some unknown reason, I never looked at your signature text and the list of drones you have or had, until just now. UNBELIEVABLE! I wonder if ANY Forum members have had as many? No wonder you know so much about these little (but expensive,) toys. :)

I count TWENTY-TWO!!!!

You'd be surprised what some of us have owned over just the last few years. I'm not saying that to take away from what Rob's owned (his list is very impressive) but some of us "have issues" with Drone-Ittis... LOL

I count TWENTY-TWO!!!!

There might be others who have owned as many as I have, but for me, it's really the only way I can learn to repair them, and what their individual idiosyncrasies are. I prefer to experiment on my own drones as guinea pigs, before I repair customers drones. As soon as a new drone comes out, I buy it, and take it apart. The novelty of a new model drone wears off very quickly for me, because I know that within a week or two, Im going have someones new drone in triage after a crash! Within a week after the M2 came out, I had my first repair.

Last edited:
You'd be surprised what some of us have owned over just the last few years. I'm not saying that to take away from what Rob's owned (his list is very impressive) but some of us "have issues" with Drone-Ittis... LOL

Seems that many RC guys have drone-itis. Anyone who came from RC aviation, has probably had dozens or more aircraft in both fixed and rotary wing. My non-drone aircraft list is bigger than my drone list. Then there are RC cars, trucks, boats... yes I have it bad. My name is Rob...

BTW, its really good to have you here on the forum. Your science of forensics can help in post-mortem drone crashes to help determine the origin of the failure.

Seems that many RC guys have drone-itis. Anyone who came from RC aviation, has probably had dozens or more aircraft in both fixed and rotary wing. My non-drone aircraft list is bigger than my drone list. Then there are RC cars, trucks, boats... yes I have it bad. My name is Rob...

And, as far as I can tell, there is no known cure. ?

Right! Man if you guys only knew how many 3D helicopters ive owned :) drones aren't even the half I remember getting my first quadcopter 5 or 6 yrs ago... I think it was a blade mqx then the Nano QX then a Blade 350 QX and on and on ;)

Right! Man if you guys only knew how many 3D helicopters ive owned :) drones aren't even the half I remember getting my first quadcopter 5 or 6 yrs ago... I think it was a blade mqx then the Nano QX then a Blade 350 QX and on and on ;)
I’m hearing that.
Apart from the Cessna 150 and 402 and 20 ft wind tunnel, my hanger is loaded with aircraft from decades worth of projects

Reactions: kilomikebravo

It seems like RC is just getting easier and easier to crash. No, wait, I mean fly. ;)

Reactions: kilomikebravo
I remember building a drone using the gyros out of the Nintendo wii controller. It worked, but not an easy fly.
Horizon hobby and the blades where the first off the shelf quad Copters I bought, then numerous others before buying an original phantom, only to be pulled apart and stripped of the old naza and other electronics to attempt to make a vtol fixed wing. It worked with no wind, but not fantastic in the afternoon breezes.

My thoughts- The prop disc has less demand on it during an easy return home, decent, and landing than during the highest lift ask during takeoff. Perhaps as previously mentioned, the takeoff overtaxed the Mavic's reduced capabilities. Regardless, making it back to the base is impressive.

I would bet my check that losing a prop like that results in a Care Refresh, insurance claim or tears most of the time.

Buy a lottery ticket!

On second thought, you may have used up your luck for the month! :)

Mark

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillesdeColombes