DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this normal? Lost rear propeller blade w/ 1.5 mi safe return flight

I feel like the imbalance of half a prop spinning at such high RPM would be worse than no prop at all, but that is purely a guess. To my knowledge the M2 doesn't have any built-in ability to compensate for things like that but I am happy to be shown otherwise.

Reactions: old man mavic
i agree it does seem to be the case that it would cause an imbalance on that motor,but the point i was trying to make was because the break was so close to the hub it allowed the prop to spin fast enough to still provide some lift and keep the mav air born the IMU is constantly adjusting props to allow the mav to fly, and its not beyond the realms of probability,that given the circumstances of the failure the fact that the prop was spinning when it snapped .that it allowed the mav to keep flying

You should also try it on a worn out old Mavic, so you wont be too sad if things dont go as planned. ;).

Well, found a pair for the sacrificial flight. Cut this as close as I could to the OP’s picture.

fd981e10c9077dd5344291474b557692.jpg

Took a flight, err tried to anyways. I recorded it with my camcorder, but I’ve never tried posting a video.

Reactions: Former Member
It didn’t want to go straight up. You can see that it banks left when I tried to take off. You can hear the esc unbalanced too.
Had to do an emergency shut down [emoji15]

Thats got to be the greatest escape story i've heard for ages, must have some Irish blood in you sir to get that kind of luck :)

Does the M2Pro’s blades have that much more lift?
Maybe the difference in in-flight loss, and trying to take off? If I’d known it was going to bank that hard, I would’ve compensated sooner. Unfortunately I only have one good hand [emoji870]

Here the broken blade from the original post

Here are pictures of fatigue cracking
Plastic

Metal

Generic

The crack origin is normally at an internal or external defect. The pictures are from lab tests so are uniform. The granular/rough surface on the blade appears to be in the upper right and the beach marks are oriented in that direction, rather than perpendicular to the edge. I'm not saying it was a fatigue crack but...just suggesting the possiblity.

If it is fatigue, then it could have happened before the flight even took place, such as being bent inside a case. When the prop was subjected to the outward inertia of the blades spinning, and upward flexing due to forces of lift, it might have failed.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52