DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Issue with range

Hope someone can help me with a similar question about range. My Mavic2 does not even come close to the specs. No matter where I fly, somewhere around 2000' distance I start getting notices of "weak signal, adjust antenna". Somewhere between 2000' and 3000' I lose signal altogether. What could be limiting my range? Is it more likely a problem with the aircraft, or with the remote control, or with my iPhone, or with some of my settings, or even with external factors like satellites, wifi, or cellular?!? I don't think the issue is obstacles between me and the aircraft, because this also happens if I am flying in a remote area over water. I have never been able to get close to a mile.

Hope someone can help me with a similar question about range. My Mavic2 does not even come close to the specs. No matter where I fly, somewhere around 2000' distance I start getting notices of "weak signal, adjust antenna". Somewhere between 2000' and 3000' I lose signal altogether. What could be limiting my range? Is it more likely a problem with the aircraft, or with the remote control, or with my iPhone, or with some of my settings, or even with external factors like satellites, wifi, or cellular?!? I don't think the issue is obstacles between me and the aircraft, because this also happens if I am flying in a remote area over water. I have never been able to get close to a mile.
What type environment do you fly in?

I would suggest looking at adding a good antenna booster such as the one made by alien or titan. Titan has a booster that is $130.
I love flying in the comfort of my SUV and was only able to get maybe 100 yards without boost and can go now to whatever battery power I have. Plus, you are not out in the open having people bothering you, lol.

Reactions: marcorasi1960
What type environment do you fly in?
Most often in a city. I like to take pictures of buildings from different angles. But I have also flown over water (I live in a city between a big river and a big lake). And I have encountered the same problem in very remote areas, like the end of the road going toward the delta of the Mississippi. It does not get much more remote than that... just a few fishermen huts, nothing else for tens of miles.

I would suggest looking at adding a good antenna booster such as the one made by alien or titan. Titan has a booster that is $130.
I love flying in the comfort of my SUV and was only able to get maybe 100 yards without boost and can go now to whatever battery power I have. Plus, you are not out in the open having people bothering you, lol.
Thanks for the tip! I will look into that. I am a bit surprised that I cannot get further out, because the Mavic2 specs go way farther than what I can achieve. Can I take it from your reply that the remote controller and the antenna must be the 'culprit' and that the symptoms would not justify taking a hard look at the aircraft or the iPhone?

Thanks for the tip! I will look into that. I am a bit surprised that I cannot get further out, because the Mavic2 specs go way farther than what I can achieve. Can I take it from your reply that the remote controller and the antenna must be the 'culprit' and that the symptoms would not justify taking a hard look at the aircraft or the iPhone?
If you have the same issue in open spaces, there has to be a problem. Adding super directional antennas won’t help that. They will only focus the signal forward, but if you are having issues it’s a waste of money to invest in modding your RC, and buying pricey antennas. This isn’t the first I’ve heard of this happening. Search the forum I’m certain there is information on it here. I’ll ask around myself.

If you have the same issue in open spaces, there has to be a problem. Adding super directional antennas won’t help that. They will only focus the signal forward, but if you are having issues it’s a waste of money to invest in modding your RC, and buying pricey antennas. This isn’t the first I’ve heard of this happening. Search the forum I’m certain there is information on it here. I’ll ask around myself.
Thanks again, let me know if you find anything out. I will be looking too. I have had this issue since I bought the M2 in May. If there are folks who can get it out 2 miles, something may be wrong with one of my components.

Try putting your phone in airplane mode
Good idea. I will try. I had heard about this already, but I always hesitated because I thought I might lose some features. My understanding of the fundamentals is poor... Is there no downside to being in airplane mode? All the safety features like GPS flight, RTH, etc. remain fully active?

I’ll upload a video I just made in a bit I will show you my settings let me know if it helps I know that’s gotta be frustrating wait until the end at it will show you exactly what I was running also started that when my battery was at 78 percent so I didn’t want to risk going further bc of battery

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25