DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Issue with range

LandShark19

Reactions
I am new to drones and so this issue may be more reflective of my inexperience than anything else, but it seems like I am not getting the range I expected with my Mavic 2 Zoom. I purchased it a little over a week ago and have been flying everyday, and I don't ever get more than half a mile before I am out of range of my RC. The drone always kicks in RTH and I reconnect as it is coming back, but it would be nice to be able to go out a little farther. So far I have only flown in my neighborhood which is in the suburbs, and I know that there is probably a lot of interference. Is there a setting that I can modify that can give me some additional range, or am I just going to have to invest in a range extender/booster? I have been reading all over this forum, and there are a lot of threads about different extenders/boosters, but what is the most recommended for the Mavic 2 if I do end up having to go that route? Thanks!

What kind of range you getting? Maybe try to get out in the boonies somewhere. I have no issue getting 5km out of my MP.

I have range issues too, getting average 1/2 - 3/4 mile from house. Ambient radio interference isn't uncommon in even suburban areas. Remember, you're in the WiFi bands, even if not using Wi-Fi protocols.

I’m in a WiFi saturated area (southern CT) and I won’t get get near a half mile of range. It’s not your drone, it’s all the homes with WiFi competing for bandwidth.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
OP do you have a clear line of sight when you lose signal . As soon as things get between the controller and bird signal gets weaker

I have range issues too, getting average 1/2 - 3/4 mile from house. Ambient radio interference isn't uncommon in even suburban areas. Remember, you're in the WiFi bands, even if not using Wi-Fi protocols.

I'm having the same issues as well. I thought the ocusync2 is not a WiFi based system like the Mavic Air, which is why the ocusync is superior.

OP do you have a clear line of sight when you lose signal . As soon as things get between the controller and bird signal gets weaker

Yes I have a clear line of sight. I think everyone referencing interference is right. All the houses around here have Wifi, so I am sure that is interfering with my connection. Sounds like I need to get out in the country to try and get some real distance.

Try custom channel between 16 & 20, these are not used by domestic wifi

Reactions: DagDerniT
Yes I have a clear line of sight. I think everyone referencing interference is right. All the houses around here have Wifi, so I am sure that is interfering with my connection. Sounds like I need to get out in the country to try and get some real distance.
No...... you should still be able to push through the interference. I live in Downtown Houston Tx, and I get out to 20k feet stock Mavic Pro. Something isn’t jiving. What’s the altitude you are at when RTH kicks in?

I am new to drones and so this issue may be more reflective of my inexperience than anything else, but it seems like I am not getting the range I expected with my Mavic 2 Zoom. I purchased it a little over a week ago and have been flying everyday, and I don't ever get more than half a mile before I am out of range of my RC. The drone always kicks in RTH and I reconnect as it is coming back, but it would be nice to be able to go out a little farther. So far I have only flown in my neighborhood which is in the suburbs, and I know that there is probably a lot of interference. Is there a setting that I can modify that can give me some additional range, or am I just going to have to invest in a range extender/booster? I have been reading all over this forum, and there are a lot of threads about different extenders/boosters, but what is the most recommended for the Mavic 2 if I do end up having to go that route? Thanks!
Need to put in 1080 p not 4K also set band to dual

No...... you should still be able to push through the interference. I live in Downtown Houston Tx, and I get out to 20k feet stock Mavic Pro. Something isn’t jiving. What’s the altitude you are at when RTH kicks in?

Usually around 150'-200'

Thats not true...u do not get less range with 4k....in fact i got my best range with 4k! What matters is your transmission settings....u will get less range with "HD" (1080p fpclv feed) so u can try normal (720p)

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I will give all of these a try. The help is very much appreciated!

Do you really get that much more range dropping to 720p?
Signal control range has nothing to do with video transmission rate, nor the quality setting of the video recording on the microSD card in the aircraft. FPV stability will be affected by range, but as long as you have signal, you still have full control over the drone, even without FPV. Lowering the quality of the FPV signal will help retain FPV stability at long range.

However, the best way to improve range is to get above all obstructions. Instead of flying from your backyard, fly from your roof deck, or your roof. Even 20 additional feet in elevation can significantly affect range. Make sure not to have any trees or buildings between you and the aircraft. Maintaining clear unobstructed LOS is essential. If you can find a lookout location 100-250 feet above the surrounding terrain, even in heavily urban environments, you will be able to fly 4-5 miles away with no loss of FPV, as low as 25 feet AGL, as long as no tall buildings are in the way. For best results, fly out over open water, from the sea shore or a lake. Almost all long distance flyers are flying along the shore with no intervening obstructions.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum