DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It’s idiots like this who give us a bad name!!

Todd Clarke

Reactions
I live in Sydney Australia and fly an Air 3 and a Mini 2, mostly for fun, but I am accredited with CASA, and use them in my business to do solar pool heating inspections.
So, last night my wife and I went to the KISS concert at our Sydney Olympic Stadium and about 1/3 through the show I see these flashing LED’s out of the corner of my eye, and immediately I thought drone…
Sure enough somebody was flying it around inside the stadium at a number of heights from 5-30 meters directly over the crowd, and backwards and forwards right up to the stage!! I thought it may have been somebody from the crew, but regardless, if it was then they are still subject to the same restrictions.
Not only do we have restrictions on where we can fly, not within 30 meters of people, but this was around 9.30pm and we are not permitted to fly at night anywhere in Australia. We also have direct line of sught restrictions too, and there was no way the pilot could have seen the drone if they were outside the stadium, let alone the fixed and moving cameras on zip wires and other equipment that would have been virtually invisible to the obstacle avoidance system in that light. It’s a miracle it didn’t hit something and crash down on top of somebody… it looked to be a Mavic 3 or similar size so at close to 1kg in weight from 30 meters up it could have been a fatality had things gone wrong.
Eventuallly the drone shot up out of the stadium and out of sight, probably never to be identified.
Idiot!! That’s a lot of risk for some cool video. It really annoys me that stuff like this happens that could cause injuries and deaths, and it turns the community against the overwhelming majority of law-abiding citizens who follow the rules. Very Annoyed!!

Keep checking YouTube, it may show up there soon if not already.

There have been a lot of Concerts where the Band Hires drones to take shots of them, seeing as this might be just one of the those. or the band might have mentioned it. I think this was a legit setup for the Kiss Concert . Its all over the Kiss so they could show how amazing it was after all these years. I guess people told them that no one would show , lol. Legend will always be Legend.

So maybe one less idiot in the world , you can change your title , to Incredible drone shot for Kiss Concert.

Screenshot of Google ChromeScreenshot of Google Chrome (10-7-23, 7-34-09 PM).jpg

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Last edited:
Maybe… but that’s not from the same concert I was at last night. That’s a totally different stadium, there was half the amount of people there, and there was no walkway coming from centre stage.

Reactions: Torque
Yeah , Gene SImmons is the one who hired them to prove that the people would come ,
Just a little research and 1 less idiot in the world.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water,

I live in Sydney Australia and fly an Air 3 and a Mini 2, mostly for fun, but I am accredited with CASA, and use them in my business to do solar pool heating inspections.
So, last night my wife and I went to the KISS concert at our Sydney Olympic Stadium and about 1/3 through the show I see these flashing LED’s out of the corner of my eye, and immediately I thought drone…
Sure enough somebody was flying it around inside the stadium at a number of heights from 5-30 meters directly over the crowd, and backwards and forwards right up to the stage!! I thought it may have been somebody from the crew, but regardless, if it was then they are still subject to the same restrictions.
Not only do we have restrictions on where we can fly, not within 30 meters of people, but this was around 9.30pm and we are not permitted to fly at night anywhere in Australia. We also have direct line of sught restrictions too, and there was no way the pilot could have seen the drone if they were outside the stadium, let alone the fixed and moving cameras on zip wires and other equipment that would have been virtually invisible to the obstacle avoidance system in that light. It’s a miracle it didn’t hit something and crash down on top of somebody… it looked to be a Mavic 3 or similar size so at close to 1kg in weight from 30 meters up it could have been a fatality had things gone wrong.
Eventuallly the drone shot up out of the stadium and out of sight, probably never to be identified.
Idiot!! That’s a lot of risk for some cool video. It really annoys me that stuff like this happens that could cause injuries and deaths, and it turns the community against the overwhelming majority of law-abiding citizens who follow the rules. Very Annoyed!!

As much as I curse all the rules there are reasons for them. There is always an idiot. Many Stadiums in NY have drone scanners for this reason and While I want to protect my rights from another idiot tracking me down because I'm in his neighborhood, We have to have a way to stop the bad rule breakers. They could just have easily put an explosive on that drone in an act of terrorism.

I am fairly new into drones but realise many view them as spies in the sky !
There are always stupid people around and flying directly over a crowd is the highest stupidity
If the drone for whatever reason falls onto someones head from Altitude it has the potential to maim or kill !
Such behaviour jeopordises our own freedom to fly drones

Reactions: Touring497

The things more rules and regulations are made of.

KISS (as a group) is still around? That's amazing! Other than this drone incident, how was the concert?

Pretty **** good!! It was more a bucket-list thing for us. With Gene at 74 and Paul at 71 it’s their last tour. Paul Mcartney is next in November, at 81 he won’t be back either…

Reactions: Skydreamer

Todd, whether it was or wasn't that the drone was part of the show, kudos to you for sharing your thoughts with the community. We all have a responsibility to call out the knuckleheads. If we all expect to enjoy the freedom to fly safely then it's incumbent on each of us remind others of the constraints. A car or drone what's the difference? Regulations are there to keep us all safe. HFTA

Yes, it just annoys me that there are people who ruin it for us!! Regardless of who it was, part of the band, the crew or somebody sitting outside the stadium, they are still bound by the restrictions of CASA ie. You simply can’t fly over people or within 30 meters of people. This fool was hovering directly over a crowd of people at around 30m altitude. I panned down to show this. Safety first, always!! These things can fall out of the sky… granted very rarely, but it does happen from time to time. That was my point…

You can't fly drones at night in Australia? Pretty bad. If it was a KISS drone, they probably made sure it was safe during the daytime. How are you going to not fly over people in a populated area?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas