DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Italy and Greece drone regulation

Well that escalated quickly... are they FOR REAL? I feel sorry for my country and that is something I hate saying... 800 euros plus 24% VAT is like a BIG NO GO unless you shoot for National Geographic...

what a shame...
hi @Hexagon,

and what is the penalty cost, if he don't have permission?

no idea, confiscation maybe which I think would be the extreme scenario. A more possible scenario would be spending a few hours on the local police department just for clarifications and maybe footage delete...

I can ask them via phone but it would seem weird.. :)

Reactions: mlaczek
no idea, confiscation maybe which I think would be the extreme scenario. A more possible scenario would be spending a few hours on the local police department just for clarifications and maybe footage delete...

I can ask them via phone but it would seem weird.. :)
i don't want to give job for you, so hang it all ;) if i remember good, the penalty is horrible. i was lucky i think. two weeks ago in Kefalonia the police didn't stop and ask me what i doing at Saint Gerasimos Monastery. just slow down the car and look at me and smiling. i was sweaty a bit :)

Hi all,

I just got back from a three and a half week trip to Greece and Italy. Bringing along my Mavic was no issue anywhere.
Here's a quick download on the places where I visited and flew the drone without any issues.

In Greece:
  • Athens - flew around the Parthenon a bit; you've just got to be smart about where you launch/ land and make sure you aren't within the actual grounds
  • Naxos - anywhere is okay
  • Santorini (specifically Oia) - yes, there are signs everywhere that say "No Drones Allowed. One for professional use with official permission." Seems like people are ok to use drones for fashion shoots, than anything else. This isn't very strictly enforced though. I saw at least two other Mavics in the air besides mine over the course of 4 days. Basically if you aren't flying 'low' over the caldera view which is where all the hotels/ jacuzzis/ pools are you should be fine. People don't like that because it intrudes on privacy and the noise is annoying. However, there's many places to launch safely from on the other side (away from the tourists/ hotels) and arc over to the more picturesque side at a higher altitude.
    • NOTE: The winds in Oia are quite unpredictable and strong. I crashed my Mavic twice while landing because of that. Luckily she's built like a tank and the damage was more cosmetic. But just be careful and watch out for gusts.
In Italy:
  • Positano/ Amalfi coast/ Revello - anywhere really is okay as long as you don't intrude on people's privacy. Mine during the days I was there seemed to be the only one in the air.
  • Capri - Flew it just once from the main Piazza early morning, without any issues. But winds are extremely strong and unpredictable so be careful.
  • Montepulciano/ Tuscany - No issues at all. And just amazing countryside and old towns to take wild shots from above of.
  • Rome - Didn't risk it. But saw one Mavic flying maybe 10m down the main street away from the Colosseum. There were generally a lot of police/ Carabanieri everywhere so didn't want to even get into a discussion with them on the topic if caught in the act of flying.
Hope this is of some help everyone.

Cheers

I will not register....no way.
It seems that every point of interest is a no fly zone....for instance Chalkidiki, Sithonia.

I ll keep on flying anywhere i want...BUT as far away from people...crowds and private areas.

I also am interested to see who they can handle this gimmick.
Once you call the police in remote areas they take about 2 hours to get there.....and i really doubt if they give a dam abour drones.

I was in Sithonia couple of weeks ago , flew my mavic away from crowds. Saw more than 4 drones flying. :)

I am one of the idiots who had his drone seized recently, so I can tell you: don't fly anywhere you're not supposed to be flying, and never when there are people / tourists around. There really are Carabinieri in the small villages scouting for drones. A quick google search for "drone sequestrato" will show you Italian articles of the hotspots where police have seized drones. From my short Google research I conclude it happens most frequently in Venice, Rome, and Cinque Terre. So just don't do it, the Italian laws are super strict and it is a crime to fly where it's forbidden. For me there will most likely be a process, being uninformed doesn't shield you from the consequences.

1) contact local station after approval? well that is new an that is just too much IMHO
2) Athens - Delphi via taxi(?), WoW that would cost a lot! why dont you rent a car? Arachova and Levadia are worth visiting and filming.

Regarding Santorini there a re a few reviews from people already visited the island on previous posts. Just fly safe and I think you will have no problem. You can always ask locals i.e. hotel manager @ your hotel

Hi Hexagon,

Thanks for info.
Athens-Delphi: We figured that for a family of four, hiring a taxi was more convenient than taking the bus (with luggage in tow as we transfer to the airport hotel in the night for an early morning flight to Santorini). Costs about $300+ gratuity.

Not sure how much I can fly the Mavic though, to be honest. Not everyone in the family shares the craziness ;-)

Will check out Arachova and Levadia. A quick look at maps tells me they're on the route. Thanks again!

Reactions: Hexagon
I am one of the idiots who had his drone seized recently,

Hi flopo, sorry for that. Where and how did you get seized?

I read about the italien "sequestrato" some were in the national park of cinque terre.
Bad that this restrictions are not shown in airmap and not at the dji geo site.

Brilliant information on here but I believe that the inevitable conclusion is that it's very difficult as a casual tourist to fly following the regulations!

I will email the HCAA and try to register my P3P (sorry but this info is better than anything on "their" forum). The Drone Aware website is rather alarming!

My family and i are travelling to Skopelos, mainly for some R&R but I'd really like to get some of that wonderful Greek blue with the kids enjoying the remote coastlines. So don't intend flying at "Mama Mia cliff" or anywhere with people. The website seems to indicate heliport NFZ covers most of the island?

I guess that the most pragmatic (but still "illegal") approach is to fly with common sense - respecting other peoples right to enjoy this beautiful country?

First time with bird on a plane - plan to take everything as carry on. Have DJI hardshell rucksack and LiPo bags for batteries. Any advice regarding RC - surely that is a LiPo powered thing!

Any additional advice appreciated.

Brilliant information on here but I believe that the inevitable conclusion is that it's very difficult as a casual tourist to fly following the regulations!

I will email the HCAA and try to register my P3P (sorry but this info is better than anything on "their" forum). The Drone Aware website is rather alarming!

My family and i are travelling to Skopelos, mainly for some R&R but I'd really like to get some of that wonderful Greek blue with the kids enjoying the remote coastlines. So don't intend flying at "Mama Mia cliff" or anywhere with people. The website seems to indicate heliport NFZ covers most of the island?

I guess that the most pragmatic (but still "illegal") approach is to fly with common sense - respecting other peoples right to enjoy this beautiful country?

First time with bird on a plane - plan to take everything as carry on. Have DJI hardshell rucksack and LiPo bags for batteries. Any advice regarding RC - surely that is a LiPo powered thing!

Any additional advice appreciated.

Maybe not relevant , but i put the propellers in my check-in. :)

HEXAGON, great information. I am ready for Zakynthos in late August/early September (8 days) with my MAVIK.

Enjoy your vacations and fly safe!

@Hexagon
Thank you very much for your work to provide information. For me it is a bit unlucky, because we have our boat in Leros. The whole islands of the Dodecanese are a NFZ. But with caution it is possible to make pictures.
Evcharisto poli

Xeiretismou

Urs

I will be traveling to Greece in April (hopefully with a Mavic that I am still waiting on) quickly searching around it seems like the laws on drones in Greece are pretty loose; mainly stating to stay away from "populated areas" and airports/ helipads.

Would be interested to hear more

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Did you go to Greece anyway? I'm planning to go as well in September 2017 and bring my Mavik please let me know if you had an issue

Hello all, I am planning to travel to Venice, Italy and I want to take a few aerial footage. I know you are not suppose to fly IN venice, but what if I set my drone to fly along water outside of all the land areas, is that still legal?

Also planning to travel to

Rome, Italy
Pisa, Italy
Florence, Italy
Athens, Greece
Santorini, Greece

Any of those area are restricted as well? I know it's common sense not to fly over people, road, etc... but is it ok to fly in those city while remaining clearance of all those? I also have a Part 107 if that is any help? Thank you in advance!

In Greece you do not need a permit if you fly within 50 meters in every direction. check the link below.
http://www.ypa.gr/en/HCAA_UAS_FLT_request_editable.pdf

HEy all, just to shed light - I just arrived back from Cinque Terre, South of France, Pisa, and Tuscany and took my Mavic out and got some great footage.
As said above already - dont do it around people, and do it from a safe distance.
I always went 2 streets or so from the main roads, and was up for only 5min max... But yeah, would have been gutted if I didn't take my drone away. Just be sensible.
An example pic attached.

**EDIT - obviously more than 5min in isolated towns/villages.

Attachments

• DJI_0045 (2).JPG
    DJI_0045 (2).JPG
    4 MB · Views: 51
Reactions: AlpinaD10 and nealh
IMG_8722.JPG
Hello all, I am planning to travel to Venice, Italy and I want to take a few aerial footage. I know you are not suppose to fly IN venice, but what if I set my drone to fly along water outside of all the land areas, is that still legal?

Also planning to travel to

Rome, Italy
Pisa, Italy
Florence, Italy
Athens, Greece
Santorini, Greece

Any of those area are restricted as well? I know it's common sense not to fly over people, road, etc... but is it ok to fly in those city while remaining clearance of all those? I also have a Part 107 if that is any help? Thank you in advance!

I am currently in Greece. Been to Athens, Monemvasia, and Santorini. Was stopped from playing drone everywhere. So dun come to Greece if your main purpose is to fly drone. And honestly, it is worthless to visit Greece without drone if you are a photography lover. All the site seeing classic shots are over flooded on internet already. Nothing more besides those classic shots. So bored here ..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost