DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Italy and Greece drone regulation

So after a month almost i just got an email regarding my flight request and permission from the Greek Civil Aviation
I requested totally different dates from those that they approved me lol

616ef0f8fdd7d6c5305ca57d23fd912c.jpg

Flight height 30 meters :O :O. Might as well leave the drone at home. The greek CAA have dug themselves into a hole of bureaucracy - but that is something I suspect greeks are used to.

Good evening all.
Been reading this thread with interest and some dissapointment.
I'm a photographer and certified commercial drone pilot.
I'm heading back to my favourite place Rhodes in a few weeks and was planning to shoot at several locations.
Can anyone clarify what I need or don't need to do to keep legal?
I have sent a couple of emails from the information in the thread but I'm now wondering if I should simply not bother taking it.
I always stick to the law here in the UK and don't take risks.
My main interest was shooting the temple at Lyndos,The temple of Apollo (acropolis of Rhodes) at Rhodes town and Mandraki Harbour which seems like it's now against the law.
Any advise would be welcome.
Yours feeling slightly gutted.
Simon

Good evening all.
Been reading this thread with interest and some dissapointment.
I'm a photographer and certified commercial drone pilot.
I'm heading back to my favourite place Rhodes in a few weeks and was planning to shoot at several locations.
Can anyone clarify what I need or don't need to do to keep legal?
I have sent a couple of emails from the information in the thread but I'm now wondering if I should simply not bother taking it.
I always stick to the law here in the UK and don't take risks.
My main interest was shooting the temple at Lyndos,The temple of Apollo (acropolis of Rhodes) at Rhodes town and Mandraki Harbour which seems like it's now against the law.
Any advise would be welcome.
Yours feeling slightly gutted.
Simon

hi Simon,

i just came home on june 30th from kefalonia. when i arrived on the island, my first trip was to the security office for ask the registration, and regulations. in the office everybody just look at me, and smile. the guy in the office told me, "just fly safe and stay away from the airports. thats it". but i think, there nobody know really what is the uav or drone with camera.

to homeward i had to ask the woman at the airport in the Swissport office, how can i transport my dron to home. can i take it on board, or not (i had to ask, because here in hungary the security controll don't let me take my bird on board. the plane pilot take my dron to the board, and gave back it at the planes gate). so she didn't know or understand what i wanted. she did some phonecall, after she ask me about the batteries. i told her, this is lithium polymer. she said: just take it on the bord, because batteries. i had this story, nothing else. in kefalonia argosstoli, or lassi, or around st. Gerassimos Monastery nobody ask me about licence, or anything else. once i met with police. the officer saw the controller in my hand, but doesn't stop the car and came to me for ask my licence or any paper.

i don't know what about Rhodes. i think you have to go to the security office on the airport and ask them. i think this is the best way. i think they can give you the regulations, and maybe registering your drone.

regards, mlaczek

Hi mlaczek
Thanks for the information.
That's re assuring to know.
As I said previously only reason I wish to take mine is to shoot some of the locations I spoke about and it seems these are off limits.
I expect I would have to apply to the Greek CAA to get permission or I'll be shooting illegally..can anyone clarify this?
I plan to shoot after dawn (although I have my night license) so won't be crowds around.
Cheers Simon

Hi mlaczek
Thanks for the information.
That's re assuring to know.
As I said previously only reason I wish to take mine is to shoot some of the locations I spoke about and it seems these are off limits.
I expect I would have to apply to the Greek CAA to get permission or I'll be shooting illegally..can anyone clarify this?
I plan to shoot after dawn (although I have my night license) so won't be crowds around.
Cheers Simon
[emoji106]

i think @Hexagon can really help you ;)

have a nice time in Greece! enjoy the nice people and places ;)

Reactions: Hexagon
Thanks Miaczek yes Hexagon has been very helpful.I'll let you know what happens.
Cheers Simon

Reactions: mlaczek
Thanks Miaczek yes Hexagon has been very helpful.I'll let you know what happens.
Cheers Simon

i will thank you for it! in the next summer we will go back to Kefalonia, and maybe to Zakynthos for two weeks. i don't want to fly again illegaly and to sweat because i'm in illegality!

once again, a good vacation for you and happy flying! ;)

Last edited:
I agree with you I could risk it but I want to enjoy the experience not feel I'm doing something illegal and underhand. If I don't get permission I simply won't bother.
Cheers Simon

Reactions: iSilentP
This is wonderful information here. Appreciate everyone for taking the time to update this thread.

We will be visiting Athens and Santorini in November (with a day trip to Delphi). From what I understood, to fly a drone in Greece:
1. Download/Fill out the visitor form https://dagr.hcaa.gr/docs/HCAA_UAS_FLT_request_editable.pdf
2. Email it to [email protected]
3. Wait for them to reply back with approval/denial/clarification

I do have a couple of questions
  1. It says on the form that you have to contact the local police station and municipality with the approval. Really?
  2. Suggestions on a couple of good locations on the Athens - Delphi route (we're hiring a taxi)?
I read above that drones are banned in Oia. Too bad - we're staying there. Will have to find a spot on the other side of the island.

Thanks!

1) contact local station after approval? well that is new an that is just too much IMHO
2) Athens - Delphi via taxi(?), WoW that would cost a lot! why dont you rent a car? Arachova and Levadia are worth visiting and filming.

Regarding Santorini there a re a few reviews from people already visited the island on previous posts. Just fly safe and I think you will have no problem. You can always ask locals i.e. hotel manager @ your hotel

Update.
I contacted the Hellenic Aviation Authority to try and get permission to shoot around some archaeological sites.
I'm told I need to contact Ministry of culture but unlikely I'll get permission unless I'm shooting for Television.
I'm looking for an email for them as we speak, I'll give it a go but it does not sound hopeful unless I do it without permission and I'm not going to do that.
Simon

Final update.
I had a very quick reply regarding shooting with permission over archaeological sites with several forms to complete HOWEVER ...
If permission is granted there is a cost of 800 euros plus VAT per day to shoot PLUS 10 euros for every second of footage plus vat.
I'm not quite clear on that last fee if that is published material or just you final movie edit.
If you wish to shoot over a harbour like Mandraki in Rhodes town there is also a fee but only small.
Unless you have an assignment with the budget this is just a non starter.
Oh well I'll be leaving the drone at home.
Cheers Simon

If permission is granted there is a cost of 800 euros plus VAT per day to shoot PLUS 10 euros for every second of footage plus vat.
Well that escalated quickly... are they FOR REAL? I feel sorry for my country and that is something I hate saying... 800 euros plus 24% VAT is like a BIG NO GO unless you shoot for National Geographic...

what a shame...

Reactions: mlaczek
Final update.
I had a very quick reply regarding shooting with permission over archaeological sites with several forms to complete HOWEVER ...
I'm not quite clear on that last fee if that is published material or just you final movie edit.
If you wish to shoot over a harbour like Mandraki in Rhodes town there is also a fee but only small.
Unless you have an assignment with the budget this is just a non starter.
Oh well I'll be leaving the drone at home.
Cheers Simon
800 euros + VAT???? it is neer price of a new Mavic Pro. what a fck!

sorry about it Simon :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy